Cheap and easy marketing idea

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Cheap and easy marketing idea

Hi. I thought you might be interested in an idea we've put into practice that might help promote your place. We've made up a postcard that guests can colour in and send to family and friends.

It's too early to know if we'll get bookings but guests seem to like them. And not just the children!

Total cost was less than the price of a night's stay.

If you want more details (or help with the artwork), message me.

Cheers.

Ben

20200807_124453.jpg

20 Replies 20
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Ben205  

What a smart and creative idea, well done!

Some of my listings aren’t the most beautiful externally- but I imagine a nice interior sketch would be just as chic, and so unique.

Ben205
Level 10

Not every building is Buckingham Palace! Most can be pared down to look interesting. Or as you say, an interior will work.

Best wishes.

Ben

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Nice idea, but I am not sure it will end up converting to bookings unless you have an unusual or beautiful home and the guests actually send the postcards to those who might consider your place.

Do you know if your guests actually send them as postcards or do they just colour in. @Ben205 

I leave a little guest box in my guest's rooms with a couple of postcards of my city with stamps and some retro sweets/chocolate - that goes down incredibly well.

Ben205
Level 10

In most cases the cards disappear, and not into the recycling box, so I'm assuming they get sent! 

They're also a talking point, which helps with our reviews.

The economics are, we only need 1 extra night (maybe a return visit) to more than pay for the cards and this is a little touch that adds up with all the others.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ben205 

A lovely touch and I can see why the guests like it. However, seeing as most people don't bother sending postcards anymore and that these are so unique, I can imagine that more guests would want to keep them as a memento.

Still, it's not a bad way to keep your guests smiling!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Fabulous idea @Ben205 , do you include a little about the history of your home as well on the reverse of the cards you designed?

Or have a folder / journal with the history about the architects, builders, building consent notices, sale records, occupants from days gone by prior to your guardianship for your guests to read / browse through during their stay?

If not, may I suggest you go through the land deeds certificate of title, locate the names on it, then see what you can find in historic archives, including newspaper & photographic archives - street name, number - bear in mind street numbers used to be 1,2,3,4,5 all on the same side & only changed to 1,3,5,7,9 and 2,4,6,8, in around the last 50yrs, the names of people who lived & died there - obituaries  tend to have family member details so you can find more information through their names & history that way.

It adds another dimension to the story of one's home together with  an appreciation of what those before us contributed.

The history of who one's street/ road/ avenue and region can also be included @Helen3 @Paul1255  in a booklet/ journal about one's home & location.

@Helen3, I do the same with post cards but with a thank you for coming to stay.

We have a great New Zealand post card from another era with Railway, bus travel prior to the majority of people having motorcars.

Both my local, & when we had them, International guests always appreciate them.

As an aside, re Buckingham Palace, we heard on the news today about $/ or £185 million dollar home for sale in the UK today that was built in the circa 1826.

All the best from across the miles and yonder, make the most of the lovely sunshine in the UK.

Central To All Home & Location

Remuera - a heritage suburb, in Auckland, New Zealand 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks @Helen427 

I have done research on my local area and found out I as living above a former coal mine 🙂

I have also found a photo of my street from 1896 so I am going to try and take a photo from the same angle and then print both up and frame side by side either for the guest room or one of the communal areas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/8524792632

I may make the print from 1896 into a postcard.

This week our hot weather in Bristol is accompanied by a weather warning for severe thunderstorms.

I love all these ideas such as @Ben205 which make staying at our homes a more personal experience.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Gorgeous photographs @Helen3 

Do you still have confectionary shops in the street?

They seem to be becoming rarer to find these days with mass production.

I notice in some of those photos the wooden electricity poles that are taller than the trees.

Those before us were very insightful & wise with using the materials available.

Nice brick / masonry works.

And good quality clothing 

Vesna105
Level 2
Canary Islands, Spain

I believe your idea is very creative! Mb even a map or artist sketch of the location would do. Also it could help our guests know of interesting landmarks around the apartment? Or point at how well apartment is located?

thanks again for sharing your idea!!!

Vesna

Ben205
Level 10

We do have pics of the renovation and some details of the history of the house for guests to read. We found the bowl of a clay pipe in the footings that was made in a local town in 1650!

I must make them into a booklet, though. Thanks for prodding me!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Very cool, @Ben205 . I have black and white postcards of my place done up as gifts for any guest celebrating anything -- a birthday, anniversary . Never thought of making them do the work of colouring them!  : )

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Image 1.jpeg

Image 2.jpeg

Similar idea here. I send them a “looking forward to having you here” note and then leave them cards in the space. Receiving mail that isn’t junk or a bill is always pleasant. 

@Lizzie will you turn these pictures right way around? thanks!!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sure @Kelly149 - all done. 🙂 No need to turn your computer upside down now (this is when mobile is easier)

Hope you are keeping well. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.