Check in times

Wendy684
Level 6
Levin, New Zealand

Check in times

I have wide open check in times on my listing between 2-10pm but I state on the listing that guests must advice me what time they expect to arrive - approximately at least. Because I am but obviously home all that time between 2-10pm. I have it flexible to accommodate guests and because I am and can be flexible so if I guests wishes to check in at 3pm that is not a problem (usually) I will make sure to be there and greet them, show then round etc. 

Some guests don't show until 8pm and that is fine . So long as I know and haven't been waiting since 2pm. 

Most guests are great and let me know roughly when they expect to arrive. Buy some do notleaving me to send multiple messages asking. The last one turned up at 3.30 according to my neighbour before replying to my messages or request on listing to give a time.

So I'm thinking about restricting my check in times but saying I'm open to guests checking in at other times by arrangements. Is this better? Maybe?

I want to be flexible for guests and I usually am but I also have a life and appointments and things to get done. So it is imperative I have an idea of what time a guest is arriving. I'm tired of the 5% of guests treating me like a hotel with a manned reception. 

9 Replies 9
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Wendy684 

I am so sorry this is happening to you- it is frustrating to say the least, missed appointments, dinner etc. 

A simple letter a couple of days  before their check saying something like... 

“Hello,

hope you are well.
please confirm your estimated time of arrival before your check in date, not doing will not only cause delays in our schedules but also create the possibility of you having to wait outside for a minimum of an hour. If for any reason this time changes do let us know beforehand. 
Thank you for your cooperation.”

if no respond then write it again/text them! But truthfully, since we have started doing self check in I notice my level of stress has gone down a lot! So, maybe consider it! 
Good luck to you! 
Yadira 🙂

Hi I not only tell guests in the listing to inform me of their check in time but if their booking message does not give a time my initial greeting also requests that they give me a check in/arrival time. If they still do not answer I follow up with another message close to their arrival and/or a text message. Depending on when they booked as some are last minute bookings.

So yes I'm already doing this.

But I had one guest who received 2 messages in addition to the request on listing. The last one suggested a time the I would be there but told them I was minutes away if they wanted to check in earlier. They didn't answer. They arrived after me. Indicated they had been killing time waiting for me. Then later in review marked me down claiming in private comments I was late I was so furious! 

My latest guests were last minute bookings. Complicated by my not receiving a push notification from air bnb so I only saw and confirmed on the morning of the booking. They requested the previous day b have no arrival time. I messaged them asking both through air bnb and text. They did not receive and respond to message until parked outside my house (according to neighbour). I've yet to discover if this will impact review. I wasn't there. 

2 days earlier a guest didn't tell me when they were arriving. I had to message and chase them up twice. Finally got an answer when I had just say down for a cuppa at my sister's. They were at the supermarket down the road. I had to get up and leave. 

This is happening so often I now think I need to put a restricted check in time but say it is open to other times by pre arrangement. I cannot do self check in because I let a room in my home. 

Delwyn3
Level 6
Raglan, New Zealand

@Wendy684 this would drive me crazy!  

I don't think it's a good idea to restrict your check in times as people have different arrival times for all sorts of reasons, and if you say you are open to other times by arrangement I think you will end up in the same situation anyway.    

You might lose bookings as if people can't be sure if they can get there say between 4pm and 6pm then they might book somewhere else.

I started to reply talking about self checkin solving the problem as @Yadira22 said but I then read your reply saying you let a room in your home.

This is quite different and I now understand it is vital for you to meet and greet.

I have looked at your listing and you could add providing an estimated time of arrival into your house rules, this way when someone complains and they did not adhere to a time of arrival then you can reply saying it was in your house rules, even though you clearly request this in your listing.

I think not telling you an arrival time (or an explanation of their situation as I say below) at least 24 hours prior is so disrespectful that they can just be kept waiting till you can comfortably get there.  Finish that cuppa!

I have found, and others have also said that a lack of communication is a big red flag and we are better off without these guests.  Perhaps you could try being hard nosed and simply not accept bookings where people do not give you an estimated time of arrival at time of booking.   If people simply can't be sure an explanation of their travel arrangements will at least show a willingness to communication and you could then allow the booking.  

This must be a common problem with people who share their homes, hopefully others in the same situation will give you some advice.  (I am a remote host).

As you say people are treating you like a hotel with manned reception and if they can't show you the respect you deserve then frankly I think you need to inform them that they should find a motel/hotel.

Try posting this question in the Host Circle, this a discussion room just for hosts and you might get more help there.

Thanks @Delwyn3 that's helpful feedback. I have been concerned that if I restrict the check in time guests might scroll past and not see that they can check in at other times and really most guests are good at communicating so I don't want to alter this because of a few less helpful ones.

Yes I have been in process of writing house rules and check in info. The problem is air bnb won't adjust the rating - they told me so after the low rating. Even though the evidence was there in writing that I asked a guest 3 times what time they wanted to check in and received no answer. 

So maybe someplace I need to give an explanation of just what 2-10pm means and why I need an idea of an arrival time!

Wendy684
Level 6
Levin, New Zealand

By the way @Delwyn3 what and where is host circle? 

I originally posted this under hosting but it got moved by moderators

@Wendy684  On the main page of these forums there is a forum called Host Circle.

"So maybe someplace I need to give an explanation of just what 2-10pm means and why I need an idea of an arrival time!"

Yes, for sure. Mention in your listing and also in a message when guests book. They need to understand that just because you host in your home doesn't mean you're just sitting there all day waiting for guests to show up whenever they please.

I'm also a home-share host but almost all my guests have been good about giving accurate arrival times. They almost all fly in, so their arrival time isn't subject to them driving and deciding to stop somewhere along the way without letting me know. The few who have told me their flight arrival time (and I know it will take them about an hour and a half -2 hours to get through customs and immigration and take the bus here) but then decided to walk around town or go eat out before coming here, without letting me know, did irritate me. 

Thanks @Sarah977 I do ask people to tell me and chase up multiple times and most do and are pretty good. I think I just need to be even clearer. My last guest I think didn't even notice and only saw the check in times. 

I wonder if anything gets lost in translation when foreign guests read the page in their native language?

Most of my guests are on road trips/touring on account of where I am or else enroute to or from the ferry an hour and a half away. If I know where they are are coming from then that can give me some idea. But I don't always know where they were the night before. 

@Wendy684 

I am a remote host _ as in I  Iive 1.5 hours away from my listing, but I am always there to meet and greet.  Like you I get similarly cross - or I used to.

this is how I handle things now.

In my house rules I say I need to know your approx arrival time - I am not a hotel, it's just me here waiting.   I also hide a code word in the house rules

I have IB so I have pre bookign questions - the first is Have you really read the house rules? what's the code word??   To find the code word they have to at least scan the house rules and get the general idea of things - including the fact I"m not a hotel and will be hanging around waiting for them.

The next question is " your approx arrival time?

if after these two prompts I still have no reply I would either ring the guest myself, or better still, get CS to ring and point out that they are not responding to questions or communicating.  This usually brings a rapid response. Some guests are inexperienced with the platform and just dont' get it. Some think they have made the booking and shouldn't have to worry about anything until a day or two before 

If after this third prompt, they STILL do not communicate, or the communication is extremely sparse - I would cancel the booking. I have learned the hard way that guests who do not communicate are TROUBLE.

So in short I am very flexible about the check in time, but I am NOT flexible about being told the planned arrival time.

Hope this helps

Regards