Check in times

William68
Level 1
York, United Kingdom

Check in times

Hi community 

I recently had an incident with a guest and want some guidance on how to deal with the issue should it arise again! 

I am a relitively new host with 5* reviews from every guest so far. I go out of my way to work with my guests on a flexible check in/out system. I agree a time for check in and as a general rule operate a noon check out time unless I have worked with a guest who needs a different time. 

I just had a guest who requested a check in time of 2pm which was fine on my end. I waited for the group who texted me at 2.15pm and said they had decided to "go and get food before we come over. Expect us just after 3".....This really angered me as it messed up my own plans etc. and they were not late due to an unforeseen circumstance such as traffic issues or train delays, they simply decided to just be an hour later than agreed. Turns out all in all they were 1 hour 15 minutes late for their check in time and they hounded me to leave my keys under a bin outside or meet them in town to hand over my keys...Which I obviously did not want to do!

How long should I allow guests to be late in this situation? Had it been a circumstance out of their control I would not have minded at all but because they just decided to be late I was really frustrated...
I am a host who prides herself on being super flexible and accommodating but in this situation the lack of respect from the group was a really negative experience. 

I have a guest coming tomorrow who so far has not responded to two emails which I send out in order to confirm final details, exchange contact info etc. How long do I wait after their agreed check in time? 

Do I have to wait until the 3pm check in time that AirBnb stipulate? 

Thanks in advance

16 Replies 16

Libby, I recommend telling people that if they don't meet the window of time, you will be left waiting on them. My guests don't have to go through any of this. If they don't want a "set schedule," they've come to the right place! But I bet your guests do not realize what they're putting you through. (Really what you're putting yourself through, but I get it.)

Thanks, C C - I appreciate that. I do usually remember to tell people to let me know whether they're going to be delayed, but I guess I also need to find a way of politely informing people that I plan my entire day around whatever time I'm told to expect them, so to please adhere to that time as best they can. Or something to that effect.