Checking on guests

Checking on guests

Collect.jpg

Do you guys check on your guests during their stay? (As Airbnb directs us to.)

I kinda worry that asking them how it’s going and if they need anything will open the door for petty complaints or asks for things I don’t want to give/do. 
Also, I don’t really want to bother them on their trip.
I message them detailed instructions before check-in and say there that they can reach out with any problems or questions during their stay. But should I also message them the next day to see how it’s going?

Image added by Airbnb CC OCM

41 Replies 41
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@David-and-Annie0 IMO, yes. Guests will reply with small issues that they otherwise wouldn't take the initiative to bother you with, but might mention in a review. So you can nip that in the bud. Also, it protects you. For example, I had a guest whose party broke our hot tub in a major way. When I charged them for it, they claimed the damage was present at check-in. But since they had replied to my day-after-check-in query saying everything was perfect, Airbnb sided with me and I was reimbursed.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David-and-Annie0  Rather than ask if there is anything they need, or how it's going, which, as you say, might prompt them to complain or come up with some unreasonable request, you can just send a message like "Hi XX, hope you're settled in okay. Feel free to contact me during your stay if you have any questions or something's not working properly." 

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

A few days before a guest arrives, we send them a message with directions and key codes. We leave them to enjoy their holiday.

If they have a problem, our information folder is in the property - the information is tailored for each property. Our contact info is in there. If they contact us, we'll respond ASAP. If they call us out for any reason, we aim to get there within the hour - we did that a few days ago when guests didn't know how a gas fire worked (they're very common in the UK, but people from abroad don't often see them).

And that is all we do.

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

I live in the house and I always check in on the second day usually with a "I hope you slept well. Hope everything's going well and let me know if you have any questions." Similar to above comments, I would always rather get a question or comment upfront and be able to address it, vs. them wondering. Basic things like people thinking there is no hair dryer when it resides on a top shelf (it is stated in my book but most don't read it) could save them and me some heartache!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I tell them I'm 5 mins away if they need me, and to call if there is anything they can't work out. I leave them alone to have a private stay.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I always send a message either the day of arrival or the day after.  I feel like it is a tiny bit of protection against negativity, since its phrased that if they need anything, have problems or questions to please let us know.  We also send reminders for trash and recycling pick up and then send a message the day before check out that outlines the time and what is expected, where to leave keys it. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@David-and-Annie0 

Yes, always. But usually only once during their stay.

I don't take it personally or hold it against them if I get no response because I do respect their privacy but many thank me for checking on them. I say something along the lines of "Just checking in to make sure you are settling in nicely and that you're comfortable. Let me know if you need anything!" In over 400 reservations, no one has ever told me they needed anything. 

I often thought about saying something like "Just checking in blah blah. . . .  Please don't feel like you need to respond if all is going well and you're enjoying yourself." That way you are setting the tone for no news is good news. 

Another point, if you ever get a bad review about something that you could have easily fixed, you can rebuttal with the fact that you opened all lines of communication and were easy to reach.

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Emilia42If we get a bad review about something we could easily have fixed, we say "We ask guests to contact us immediately if there is a problem so that we can fix it. This is in the information pack in each property, along with our contact details. We're disappointed that the first you've told us about this is in a review following your departure 2 weeks ago".

So, I did check in on guests today and she just got back to me saying there’s a small leak in the roof in one of the bedrooms and some of their clothes got wet. So upsetting! We just bought the place last spring and it was fully inspected, showing no roof problems. 
She said some luggage/clothes got wet but nothing was seriously damaged, and she just wanted to let us know.
I apologized profusely and said we would send someone out ASAP but don’t want to disturb their trip so will wait until they leave Monday am. 
She’s not asking for anything, but should we compensate her at all? 

@David-and-Annie0 IMO.  It's a good thing that you checked in your guests.

You found out early about your leak.

I'd ask if their clothes are damaged in any way- this shows your concern.

Compensate by offering dry cleaning if necessary. 

It would be hard to fake badly water damaged clothes so it seems to me they are reasonable people.

@David-and-Annie0  They sound like nice guests- I don't approve of the idea that any little inconvenience or issue needs to have some offer of a refund attached to it. She's not asking for anything, so personally I wouldn't offer any $. She said nothing was seriously damaged, and if there is a washing machine available to them in the house, I'd imagine she's already put anything that required it through the wash. But it wouldn't hurt to ask if they need any of it dry cleaned, as Alex and Rhea suggested.

Good luck with the roof leak- I know it can be tricky to ascertain exactly where the water is coming in, as water just runs down until it finds a little hole.

@David-and-Annie0 

Agree with @Sarah977 . Not everyone expects a monetary refund for any inconvenience and the fact that they don't make them wonderful guests, in my opinion.

I might offer these guests a free night on their next visit. Chances are they won't take advantage of it but it's thoughtful. 

@David-and-Annie0 @Emilia42 the free future night offer is a great move when anything goes awry; either they never use it and it costs you nothing or they do and you get repeat business. And it continues the relationship, so if they are at all interested they are likely to think twice about a negative review.

I'm sorry this happened to you and your guest too.  Did you have guest take pictures of the damages/clothes/luggage(?)  It was really gracious of the guest to not ask for and compensations/refunds too!

I would probably deduct the cleaning fee at least.