Chula Vista Transient Occupancy Tax letter

Ricardo651
Level 2
Chula Vista, CA

Chula Vista Transient Occupancy Tax letter

I received a letter from City of Chula Vista stating that as of June 1, 2019 the City will start to collect TOT and that I must register as soon as possible. Has anyone else received this letter? What are we to do with any upcoming reservations that were done prior to this letter?

I spoke to Airbnb and they said to first verify with the City, which I have called several times and the line doesnt seem to be working, to see what procedures they expect from us and any reservations that already have happend or uocoming ones. Airbnb said that if this is for sure something that is starting, then we as Host would need to reach out to every guest that has stayed with us in June and any other upcoming reservation and charge them the 10% under a claim. This seems to be unfair for any Guest and Host. 

4 Replies 4
Cha5
Level 2
Fort Walton Beach, FL

I agreed it will not be fair to the gusets that's that had stay or book before June 1st.

The Sale and use Tax should be added after Jun 1st booking, although I didn't get much information from the city. I did register as soon as I received the letter, right after I register, I received certificate (online) from the city that my tax was $0.00.

I assumed that is because I rented my home that I also live in it.

You received Tax $0 certificate was because June tax becomes due in July. Last date 7/31. Everyone who registered in June got $0 tax due.

@Cha5 wrote:

I agreed it will not be fair to the gusets that's that had stay or book before June 1st.

The Sale and use Tax should be added after Jun 1st booking, although I didn't get much information from the city. I did register as soon as I received the letter, right after I register, I received certificate (online) from the city that my tax was $0.00.

I assumed that is because I rented my home that I also live in it.

I too received the letter dated June 3 on June 8.  Says  tax is effective June 1, 2019. So applies only to rent received in June and onwards.  Appears they have outsourced STR tax management to HostCompliance.com. That website is a business website seeking similar business (STR tax management) from other Cities and Municipalities. No helpful information for hosts. Phone no given in letter 619-585-6524, seems has a typo, hence there is no response. Correct number is 619-585-5624. Even on that number I could not speak to anyone but at least it is a valid number. Per letter hosts are required to pay tax @ 10% on rents received during month by end of next month. So for June rent due date will be 7/31. But main issue here is going to be like you said, how to bill the guest twice. Per my understanding after guests pay rent via Airbnb site, hosts need to collect tax directly from guests. When I mentioned this to one of the guests, he did not like the idea and hence I just let it go as I have very few bookings. Hopefully there will be some clarity from Airbnb and City of CV soon, keeping in view that no guest will like to pay twice. Hosts will need to  submit the return and pay the tax on same website where you registered. Hope this information helps. Also please correct me if I missed anything.

Eileen239
Level 1
Chula Vista, CA

Has anything new happened with everyone since the ordinance went into effect.?

Would love to hear feed back from you all.