City Council trying to kill Airbnb and Baltimore

Gary228
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

City Council trying to kill Airbnb and Baltimore

Looking to unite with other host in Baltimore Md to stop the bill to kill Airbnb in baltimore. City councilman Eric Costello’s bill. Please call my assistant Rebecca at **** to learn more and talk about next steps. 

**[Phone number hidden for safety reasons - to contact each other, you can use the Direct Messaging system here in the Community Center - hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

8 Replies 8
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Are you familiar with the Baltimore Home Sharing Club @Gary228?  Go to Discuss and select Home Sharing Club, then select all Sharing Clubs and find Baltimore.  Would imagine the discussion is going on there.

Hello @Gary228@Linda108

My name is Rachel and I'm working with a group of hosts. Michael Sung, Matt and Jenna and others havjoined together to fight the legislation and try to get a number of amendments made. We strongly believe that it's better if we all work together - home hosts and non home hosts or investor types. 

We have scheduled a press conference and rally on March 12th at 4 p.m. in front of city hall. Right before the Monday night council meeting. We would love to have you and everyone you know join us and help us grow our numbers. We are currently 75 members strong but need all the members we can get.

And for the rally- we need everyone there to force the city council to list to our request- Hosts, guests, friends, neighbors, other businesses who are supportive of Airbnb.

We have been in talks with Councilman Costello and other council members over the last few weeks to no avail.  But when we mentioned how many members we had in growing, there was more interest in working with us.

We have a site  where you can sign up- "Baltimore Hosts" plus the abbreviation for organization. 

Or I am available via email. 

R Indek at the Google email address. 

Geemail

Thanks and hope to hear from you guys! 

@

How did this all go? I'm just now seeing this, as I'm new to the group.

hey i'm a host trying to connect with other hosts on the city's Airbnb assault.  I'd like to get involved airbnb wont show email addresses unless you are booked with someone can you figure out mine from: dana a kraft at gmail dot com?  i cant believe how unhelpful airbnb is on this!  I would hate to have to retire i just got my superhost status

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Tell them to use Jersey City as a guide.  The city skims 4% in taxes that airbnb collects and gives to the city, it's free money, airbnb does all the work, the city does nothing. I imagine this is a good chunk of change they would be throwing away for no good reason.

DeAnne25
Level 2
Wilmington, NC

I want to take a moment to review my recent experience with west glacier . To come here I had spent months planning and saving for it . I was coming from the east coast so I wanted to make sure I was ok . I rented an Airbnb from Brenda Griswold who was featured in an article on west glacier park and the recently renovated belton inn ...to say I was shocked that she would intentionally misrepresent where she lived is an understatement. The tax address was in Coram somewhere ,I never did find it lolxd My flight does not leave until Sunday and west glacier is all booked up, so my dream trip has been spent looking for the bnb! Uber mapquest and the local police could not find this woman’s address ! She would not answer the phone at any time ! I am lucky I was not killed on the hwy looking for it or someone else  . So I have slept in my car as she and Airbnb won’t give my money back until after my vacation and there is nothing in the price range I was able to get months ago . Over the weekend I spoke with local police and chamber of commerce for Columbia falls who had no idea such shannagans were occurring. I have no idea other than she must of gotten someone else to rent higher or she is just not nice and she brought some of that out in me ..I did not tell her I was federally disabled ,suffering from a terminal illness because that is my business and I just wanted to come see the Montana mountains one time and stay as close to the  park as possible. I also knew my illness would in no way impact my stay ...under normal circumstances..I may be able to come back but that is an unknown with me .

To say that I am appalled that this woman grifter was represented as a decent person by your city is insane ! I want this individuals business reviewed in some way all those good reviews did she file taxes on those people or are they figments of her imagination! I want to know why she has been allowed to grift people w zero consequences ?She told me that  works for an atty (so she says) and was clear how difficult it would be for a non state citizen to sue ?? Do you condone this type behavior and want people  like Brenda Lee Griswold to be recognized as decent folk when clearly her behavior would indicate otherwise .At any rate the mountains have been amazing ..the lack of WiFi for the public and Brenda Griswold not so much ,she ruined my vacation beyond what words can say . I will also be contacting the paper that did the interview featuring her and the belton as she is clearly playing some sort of game where she rents to you and then her address is not findable. It was beyond reproach it my opinion and I want to make sure her game is ended ! That is why I have contacted you and will the other surrounding municipalities as well as Airbnb. No one deserves to be left on the side of the road in the extreme mountains....especially someone who planned and paid months in advance to one of a cities respected citizens (and I use that term lightly ).I would like some sort of assurance that steps will be taken to prevent her (at least)from preying on unsuspecting consumers in the future g 0.....make no mistake someone who would do this is a predator in my opinion and should be stopped immediately! Even after she clearly had screwed me over she continued to send emails and phone messages thru Airbnb ,whole thing was ridiculous and sad ..

Thank you for your time and consideration  and I hope that this matters to you .

DeAnne Carrol

this is why comm try and get you out because of people like brenda griswold of west glacier montana  crooks 

I just started the Air b&b is this forum still up and running