City Harassing me, Kingston ON

Shar2
Level 1
Kingston, Canada

City Harassing me, Kingston ON

I am a host in Kingston ON. I have been hosting for over a year and a half now, with no issues at all. Recently, I had a new neighbor move in and claimed that one of my guests from China went on to her property taking selfies in front of her house and of inside her home. While I can't prove or disprove her claim, I treated the issue with the utmost respect and apologized for the event, although I was able to disprove other claims she made, as she didn't know I have video surveillance around my home and proved to her a few of the things she said were wrong. Since this time, she and another neighbor have taken it upon themselves to go door to door tomy other neighbors who had NO previous issues with my airbnb, even to the point of telling me they didn't even realize I was doing airbnb...

HOWEVER, they have since made false claims to the city of noise and parking issues, 100000000% false, but the city is supporting them and now claiming to fine me if I host more than 3 guests in my home. They are citing a bylaw that defines a family as a family of....... and up to 3 tenants.......Nothing else in the bylaw that states anything about renting, or limits on people you can have in your home,,,, the only place this wording is stated is under "definitions". 

Has anyone faced this issue??? I'm questioning how the city can focus on me and ME alone, when I am sure there are 100's of homes in the city of Kingston being rented out to families of more than members. They are even watching my Airbnb profile and checking the number of guests listed when my guests leave reviews. How the city claim that a family of 3 is 3 separate"tenants" when not only are they the same family, but the Ontario tenancy act states a tenant is someone who rents for 30 days or longer and has their own kitchen and bathroom. I also live in the home in an apartment downstairs.

Any ideas on how to deal with the City when they are so obviously wrong and harassing me???

1 Reply 1
HeatherAndJohn0
Level 2
Kingston, Canada

Shar, there is a group of Kingston Airbnb hosts organizing around the proposed regulations from City of Kingston staff. I think Airbnb will block an email format but here it is in a different form. Please get in touch so I can let you know what is happening.   catwoodsairbnb 'at' gmail dot com.