City of Los Angeles, restrictions

Miryan2
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

City of Los Angeles, restrictions

Here is the most coherent information I have found about the new ordinance in Los Angeles, going into effect July 1, 2019.

https://planning.lacity.org/ordinances/docs/HomeSharing/adopted/FAQ.pdf

54 Replies 54
Thomas746
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

MARCH 12 CITY COUNCIL MEETING Just received this:  I THINK EVERYONE IN LA HOSTING SHOULD ATTEND 

Hello,

As we head into the weekend, we want to give you a rundown of what’s happening next week. A crucial PLUM meeting is set to take place next Tuesday, March 26. Bring your friends and family - We must come out in full force and ensure our cause is validated and intensified through actions – an easy first step to be involved is by simply making an appearance at every City Hall meeting.

As you may know, the primary-only short-term rental ordinance was passed last December and will take effect on July 1st. If a secondary ordinance for vacation home rentals does not pass, this results in a complete ban of vacation home rentals. The City of Los Angeles has drafted a vacation rental ordinance which cites various regulations and licensing requirements. However, the language is not yet finalized and our time is limited. In the following months, the language will be shifted between PLUM, the Planning Committee, and lastly, the Councilmembers.

Please take a minute TODAY to contact PLUM Committee Chair Harris-Dawson and ask him to support a policy that allows secondary, whole-home rentals. 

If you’ve already emailed the PLUM Chair, use our tools to speak with his office by phone. If you’ve already called, take a minute to send an email.

We must protect our rights as vacation homeowners, show up to every City Hall meeting, and continue to speak with Councilmembers to pave the vacation home rental ordinance to be fair and just.

Event: PLUM Council Meeting

Date: Tuesday, 3/26/2019

Time: 2:00 pm (Speaking roles are very limited and are first come, first served. If we don't show up early, we will lose the opportunity to speak.)

200 N. Spring Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012

We need you to attend and testify, please RSVP via email to info@lavhra.org. Let’s stand together for our last and most important opportunity to fight the ban on traditional vacation home rentals.

Thank you!

HomeAway Government Relations

Connect With LAVHRA:

Facebook

Instagram

Communications pertaining to local regulations and survey requests are sent by HomeAway in an effort to assist homeowners, property managers, and short-term rental communities to better understand and participate in regulatory processes.  If you have questions, please email governmentrelations@homeaway.com. For more resources on how regulations can impact the industry and for tips on how to get involved in your local short term rental community visit our resource page . HomeAway encourages all managers and owners to become knowledgeable and comply with the regulations governing short-term rentals in their individual municipalities and states.

Thomas746
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

We must be a large presence at the March 26 meeting.  Please spread the word and get folks to attend.  The more the council will understand how hosts benefit the local economy and the City of LA the more we will find they rule in our favor.  Only attending can make this happen.  Only faces at the meeting will make them see.  

Thomas

Erick27
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Why is nobody talking about this? if this ornidnace moves forward it will put 90% of hosts out of commission. Does anyone know if this will in fact take effect on July 1, 2018?  Becuse if that's the case I will have to discontinued renting my place. 

Today is the meeting and for some strange reason, only three of us are aware of it?!  All the info has been generated by Home Away, not Airbnb.  Lots of us are going to lose if this goes wrong.  I'm going.  Hope others will too.  Please spread the word:

As we head into the weekend, we want to give you a rundown of what’s happening next week. A crucial PLUM meeting is set to take place next Tuesday, March 26. Bring your friends and family - We must come out in full force and ensure our cause is validated and intensified through actions – an easy first step to be involved is by simply making an appearance at every City Hall meeting.

As you may know, the primary-only short-term rental ordinance was passed last December and will take effect on July 1st. If a secondary ordinance for vacation home rentals does not pass, this results in a complete ban of vacation home rentals. The City of Los Angeles has drafted a vacation rental ordinance which cites various regulations and licensing requirements. However, the language is not yet finalized and our time is limited. In the following months, the language will be shifted between PLUM, the Planning Committee, and lastly, the Councilmembers.

Please take a minute TODAY to contact PLUM Committee Chair Harris-Dawson and ask him to support a policy that allows secondary, whole-home rentals. 

If you’ve already emailed the PLUM Chair, use our tools to speak with his office by phone. If you’ve already called, take a minute to send an email.

We must protect our rights as vacation homeowners, show up to every City Hall meeting, and continue to speak with Councilmembers to pave the vacation home rental ordinance to be fair and just.

Event: PLUM Council Meeting

Date: Tuesday, 3/26/2019

Time: 2:00 pm (Speaking roles are very limited and are first come, first served. If we don't show up early, we will lose the opportunity to speak.)

We need you to attend and testify, please RSVP via email to info@lavhra.org. Let’s stand together for our last and most important opportunity to fight the ban on traditional vacation home rentals.

Crap! I just came back from a work trip and reading up on the new legislation. this is insane and will only drive the local rental prices UP by a lot!

so no... the goverment is not defending anybodys right for housing. 

Instead condemning them to ever rising rental prices.

So be it...

We are located in the City of Calabasas....30 day minimum rentals only now....it has killed our business, decreased daily income by 50% and made it nearly impossible to find guests.  Before, we charged a weekend differential and were nearly fully booked in the season with people coming to stay for vacations, weddings or events.  There's two sides or more to everything but what we see is City Goverment taking property rights away from owners and at the same time raising taxes, fees and charges any way possible.  You are seeing people who did nicely with ABB loosing out.  

Hi Erick. I am in the same boat. Do we know if the mayor signed the document? Or if it is officially happening? I don’t know where to find out this information.

Hi Erick. Have you heard more info? I don’t know if it was placed into effect or not 

Thomas746
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

As we head into the weekend, we want to give you a rundown of what’s happening next week. A crucial PLUM meeting is set to take place next Tuesday, March 26. Bring your friends and family - We must come out in full force and ensure our cause is validated and intensified through actions – an easy first step to be involved is by simply making an appearance at every City Hall meeting.

As you may know, the primary-only short-term rental ordinance was passed last December and will take effect on July 1st. If a secondary ordinance for vacation home rentals does not pass, this results in a complete ban of vacation home rentals. The City of Los Angeles has drafted a vacation rental ordinance which cites various regulations and licensing requirements. However, the language is not yet finalized and our time is limited. In the following months, the language will be shifted between PLUM, the Planning Committee, and lastly, the Councilmembers.

Please take a minute TODAY to contact PLUM Committee Chair Harris-Dawson and ask him to support a policy that allows secondary, whole-home rentals. 

Event: PLUM Council Meeting

Date: Tuesday, 3/26/2019

Time: 2:00 pm (Speaking roles are very limited and are first come, first served. If we don't show up early, we will lose the opportunity to speak.)

We need you to attend and testify, please RSVP via email to info@lavhra.org. Let’s stand together for our last and most important opportunity to fight the ban on traditional vacation home rentals.

Daniel2505
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I apologize as I am just seeing this thread. Would anyone be able to share what happened at the meeting? I know that these meetings are usually last minute and not well advertised. I'm also guilty of not taking more of a proactive stance in attending meetings as generally I cannot take off work. Are there any next steps that we can do to take action?

Support@lavhra.org

and spread it around!  Many many people on Airbnb are clueless about this and I think it's a shame Airbnb has not been more proactive about this and it is HomeAway.  I would like to understand their reasoning.  I can't believe it is only as Mark in Jersey City says, hotels are listing on Airbnb.  There is something more, what I don't know.  

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

I am also interested in the outcome - similar to @Daniel2505  I wasn't aware until saw the posts this weekand I couldn't take time off work.  I am a live in host so I know sometimes the regulations will vary depending on primary vs. not primary residence. Thanks!

support@lavhra.org  

That is the org behind all of it.   If you have folks inside your primary res.  not a whole home, you need to check out the rules that are coming down on July 1, this year