Claim security deposit & block bad review

Claim security deposit & block bad review

HI all,

I need to make a claim against the security deposit facility,  (within the next few hours), against my last guests.  

Could someone please advise whether this blocks the option for guests to leave a review?  ie I fear that the guest will use the review process as retailiation

I realise that my claim will need to be assessed by airbnb before authorisation, but the review process is happening right now...

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Lea

13 Replies 13
Cody-And-Nara0
Level 1
Parkville, Australia

Hi Lea, no it will not block their ability to leave a review. I've had this issue where I have had two guests who have caused damage and have claimed my security deposit. One guests was from France (faty) and an absolute bitch to deal with she left us with a very bad review, she didn't want to accept responsibility for her damages. The other guest was vevry lovely and left us with a fabulous review and accepted her responsibility for the damages she caused. So it is a bit of a game as to how they will act out, but in the end my recommendation is for you to leave a review for the person and state in the review that they caused damages. Also, if they leave you a bad review - respond to it - you only have 14 days to respond. I've only just found out as I wanted to leave a review now but just read the rules that it is not possible. quite disappointing. Anyway, don't be afraid to put a claim if they have caused damages. just do and then deal with the review later. At least you'll be able to pay for the repair with the bond money, but airbnb can be a pain as they will always go for the cheapest option so get a few quotes! good luck!

Hi Cody and Nara,

Thanks so much for your response!!  Its so disheartening that a guest has the potential to destroy our reputation just because they (will potentially) dispute an excess cleaning/damage fee.  I have decided not to claim the bond as I can't risk a negative review....  I know that future guests (myself included), are heavily influenced by reviews.  Therefore, this group, who have treated our property with complete disregard and left it in a filty state, will face no repercussions.  

I believe that airbnb should be more supportive toward owners, (especially if such an incident is unprecedented), and restrict reveiws if there is any dispute...... particularly with regard to property damage.

Thanks again for your feedback 🙂

Best of luck for the future to you too...

Kind regards,

Lea

Lea - 

I feel your pain - my first guest basically trashed my place  & it was visually shocking, but repairable.  I was completely stunned as I had just renovated & could not imagine ever treating someone's place lke that!!  I asked so many people, including this community who all advised me to bash this guest.  In the end because there was no permanent damage I decided I didn't want to start off my experience with such negative vibes so I did not leave a review at all. My local friends also emphatically insisted this was the exception and none of them had ever had bad experiences as hosts.  

What I learned from that experience is that now I don't accept any guest that is not fully verified and does not have at least 3 reviews - I think it is the best way to protect yourself.  It weeds out a lot of people quickly, in a positive way.  I understand airbnb not allowing restricted reviews as it is a protection to both guest & host and often a matter of perspective, but hopefully taking control of who you allow in will make you feel empowered.  My hope going forward is that as a host you are able to get the info on all the guests staying - and require verified id for all of them that aren't minors as well. 

I have had nothing but great experiences since that first one, and oddly enough that guest left me a raving review!  Hope you have the same experience.  

Best of luck!

Anne

HI Anne,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.  Yes, I do screen guests fairly closely and I think its good advice to only accept bookings from guests who are verified and have at least a few reveiws, (hence i do not allow instant book).  I also have fairly strict terms and conditions.  However, this group sounded fine,  (4 adults + 4 children)....unfortunatley the parents must have allowed the children to do whatever they wanted....

Unfortunately I decided not to pursue compensation thru the airbnb security deposit avenue, (the 48 hour period to do so has now lapsed), as I was under the impression that i risked a negative retalitory review which i would be stuck with.  In future I will definitely pursue the claim, (which equates to an extra 3 hours of cleaning, (in addition to complimentary 4 hour standard clean), plus some repainting....My cleaner took plenty of photos and i have a very disgruntled neighbour to deal with too.

However, i will leave a review which is not hostile, but hopefully alerts other hosts that 'unfortunately extra cleaning was required due to the state of the property at check out'.  I do believe that hosts need to support each other with accurate guest reviews so that we are able to protect each other from such experiences.

Thanks again and best regards,

Lea

Wendy38
Level 1
Liverpool, United Kingdom

HI,

This is my first few weeks of hosting and I have just had my very first review from ANOTHER AIRBNB HOST!!! She was upset when I asked her for the extra payment for her dog that she had not told me she was bringing and for my cleaner to clear up all the dog mess  She left all over my patio and then when questioned said there was already dog mess there!! I doubt that, as my previous guests had left 5 lots of dog mess which my poor cleaner had to remove. My House rules quite clearly state it should all be removed. I have 2 dogs of my own and would not dream of leaving mess anywhere.

She has just left me a really nasty review about our house which hurts. I know you are saying you havent tried to get the money back but dont forget that you can give them a review so when they go to book in future somebody will read it. I have said openly I would not have her back. 

It is awful that out of spite somebody can try and ruin you and they should not be allowed to get away with it

I want to contact AirBNB about this but cant find any contact details for them. Do you know where I can get in touch with them?

Thanks

Wendy

Wendy, 

Their phone number is: 855-424-726two

Its so disappointing when guests have no regard for our homes....particualry fellow airbnb hosts?!

A policy that guests are unable to leave a review when bond is with-held seems logical, (especially if this is a rare occurence)

Best of luck and kind regards,

Lea

Unfortunately, hosts don't have much protection. Yes, you can leave the guests a review. But they can just book under a different account next time, you can't. Your reputation is much more important than theirs. I have been hosting for a year now. Most of my guests have been amazing, but some of my guests have left a mess at the house, stolen sheets and even a bluetooth speaker. I have been tempted to write a bad review and keep a part of the deposit, more for a matter of principle than anything else. But a bad review from them does much more damage than $100. So it is just cost of doing business, IMO.

Sergio

This is very helpful! Ive had 25plus guests with no probelms....until now. I just had my first "trashing of my place"! Shocking because it was from an airbnberwith 40 plus fabulous reviews as a HOST??? Anyway, they over loaded my place and left a horrable wet dog stench and burnt food in my condo, and a broken table and dog eaten pillow! I have already gone ahead and left negitive feedback for the guest...and I was just about to claim my $250 security deposit.... But, after reading the above I see they the guest can act out of spite and leave a negitive review once they get wind that I am filing a $250 claim. so are my assumptions correct?? Once they leave feedback...hopefully positive because they can't see my feedabck yet until they leave there own...correct?

HI Keith,

I feel your pain….its always the minority that ruin it for the majority!  I think that you only have a very limited timeframe to claim bond compensation, (could be with 48 hours of guest check out?).  That said, the guest definitely has the opportunity to retaliate with a negative review, (which happened to me last year).  I believe that this is a flaw in the bond claim/guest review system.

I have been running holiday rentals for the past ten years, and I have to say the mindset and mentality of guests overall has changed for the worse (sadly)in recent years  Guests now know that they hold the cards because owners cannot afford negative reviews.

However, its imperative that we, as owners, stick together and review these (undesirable) guests.  That said, i hope that airbnb will look at being more supportive of owners, particularly when withholding bond only occurs in rare situations, (and is therefore more than likely totally justified!).  A policy that guests are unable to leave a review when bond is with-held seems logical....

I did have a very positive experience recently with airbnb whereby a guest cancelled due to our decision to remove our outdoor hot tub from the property.  I had no idea how severe the cancellation penalties are with Airbnb, even when a guest cancels, and so was very fortunate that airbnb waived the penalties by considering the facts.

Good luck, and i sincerely hope that you do not receive a bad review when the guests were clearly at fault!
Best regards,
Lea
Jenny329
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have just had my first really bad experience from an Air Bnb guest after letting my property for six and a half years.. This was my ninth Airbnb guest.

My housekeeper has sent me a series of photos of badly stained bed linen, towels and an expensive quality double bed spread (folded and used to cover the cot mattress) 

As well as addtional cleaning rubbish was not put out so my housekeeper will have to drive 6 miles to the recycling centre before the next set of guests arrive. Used nappies were left in the bedroom, all bins were left unemptied, food was left in the fridge and freezer and dishes in the dishwasher, beds were not stripped as requested.

My security deposit is £100 which would not cover my costs even if it were paid in full.

Having read previous comments I am not sure at all about puttting in a claim even for this ...

I suggested that if Airbnb Host Guarantee does pay in your favor after they investigate damages that they do not allow these disrespectful guests who wouldn’t pay to leave a review. Seems completely fair and logical to me. I hope they will consider.