Clarify: 25%.."your cancellation policy"

Mindy41
Level 2
St Paul, MN

Clarify: 25%.."your cancellation policy"

In response  to COVID19,  the CEO said, "If a guest cancels an eligible reservation in this window, we’ll pay you 25% of what you would normally receive through your cancellation policy." 

Will someone clarify the last part of that statement: "what you would normally receive through your cancellation policy." 

I have the "moderate cancelation policy" which allows the guest to cancel anytime except 5 days before their reserved date. All of my reservations canceled after March 16th, but before that 5 day window of their reserved dates. Will I receive 25% of these reservations? 

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mindy41 . If your cancellation policy would net you zero for a particular cancellation then the 25% would be of zero and hence you will get zero. 

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Mindy41  it means that those hosts who have been brow-beaten by Airbnb into adapting a moderate or flexible cancellation policy will get nothing.  Zero.  Zilch. Nada.   

Mindy41
Level 2
St Paul, MN

This makes me want to cry!!! As hosts, where do I fit in with the government assistance? I really need help!! I don't want to lose my house!!

My rental is at least 50% of my income and in preparation to my peak season, I just invested $500 in all new bedding ect.  I really need help!!! I lost my Superhost status  because I canceled a reservation 60 days before their arrival.  I just got it back and it took year to get it back. But according to the details, I don't qualify for the grant because I lost my Superhost status 

I'm freaking out. 

Sarah3349
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Of course everyone has to make sacrifices during this crisis, but Airbnb is now supporting guests who are losing a HOLIDAY above and beyond its precious hosts who are potentially losing their LIVELIHOOD!

Guests can take out insurance against cancellation. Hosts cannot, but for COVID related cancellations, Airbnb has taken away hosts only available protection, the strict cancellatioon policy.

Airbnb are STILL acting like a company which enables people to make pocket money by putting an airbed in their spare room.  They're not, they're (supposedly!) supporting millions of small vulnerable businesses and they need to recognise their place in the world economy!