Clarifying content policy

Susan612
Level 8
United States

Clarifying content policy

Air Bnb content policy states “we reserve the right to remove any content, whole or part, that violates these guidelines or our terms of service. (Click in terms of service and you are taken to the terms of service).

Terms of service section 10 gives guidelines for reviews. Section 10.2 in fact states a review “must be fair, truthful and factual.” As well as not contain any offensive or defamatory language. 

In discussing the content policy’s reference to the terms of service with a case manager supervisor I was told by that supervisor;

“Customer service evaluates reviews alongside the content policy alone.”

After a couple email exchanges where I felt like my questions asking about the terms of service being mentioned in the content policy were not being answered directly I simplified my question.

I asked the supervisor flat out

1. When reviewing a review as per the content policy does your team consider whether the review violates section 10.2 in the terms of service. Yes or No? 

2. If a review is not fair, truthful or factual or contains offensive or defamatory language will that review be removed Yes or No.? 

Her answer was “I apologize but I am unable to follow you down this line of questioning.”

You all are hosts vulnerable to a guest leaving a review that is not fair, truthful or factual. 

Would anyone be willing to address this matter further and see if you get a more affirmative answer that the terms of service section 10 regarding reviews will be enforced if violated?

l

44 Replies 44

@Matthew285Those examples were the kind of thoughts that would arise from the definitions of experience I got from the first group of case managers. One went so far as to say something along the lines a hosts experience is what they remember.  Another case manager replied the host wrote what they felt and genuinely believed. 

If I am interpreting your question what is going on correctly then my answer is yes the interpretation of experience by some case managers that will review your reviews allows the host or guest to write anything as long as they are the one writing the review.  Which got me “contemplating” (but NOT to accuse Air Bnb of anything) that perhaps this is could be why section 10 of the terms of service which includes section 10.2 which states a review must be fair, truthful and factual is placed in the terms of service which requires extra effort to find as opposed to on the content policy page. 

I never knew about TOS 10.2 until a case manager pointed it out. I had done internet searches to try to learn about review guidelines on Air Bnb and never was linked to thar significant section 10 in the TOS . The links merely directed me to the Content Policy page 

Another topic of discussion.  I did have one review removed but my request to know what in specific in that review violated the content policy was denied. 

@Susan612 I could see the benefit to Airbnb of not letting you know the specific reason they approved removing a review. If they gave you a specific reason, then if that specific circumstance happened again, it would be awkward for them to deny a request for removal.

Giving you that information would reduce their control over the situation.

(It keeps the power in their hands.)

It is an understandable policy, but not especially empowering to the host.

Hey @Matthew285

I hear what you are saying but i would reach the same destination from the other side of the street. 

Air Bnb is a company that was built on trust. Is it fair to expect transparency and fairness from a billion dollar company? 

I am not clear at this moment if the Terms of Service or Content Policy or Disability/Discrimination policies are in fact enforced 

@Susan612 I don't think the Content Policy is enforced consistently.

Rather, I think the customer service department prioritizes customer satisfaction (but keeping in mind that hosts are their customers also.)

Often whoever complains the loudest wins.

I don't think there is a general policy to do that, but customer service people are human beings, and probably dislike leaving someone really unhappy.

In situations where there seems to be no way to make both guest and host happy, I would guess they try to find a balance between following the written policy and making the angriest person happy.

This is just a personal opinion, and only based on hearing the stories shared here.

(My own experience with Airbnb support has been pretty positive so far... but I haven't had to ask for anything difficult yet.)

So the question is does the Air Bnb community expect policies and terms to be enforced? 

I would like to hear or read about stories where the content policy was enforced or not enforced 

@Susan612 this is not my story, but Rebecca did manage to get a retaliatory guest review removed:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/What-are-the-red-flags-of-a-high-maintenance-guest-and-h...

Thanks Michael I will Check it out

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Susan612@Matthew285Here's one you might be interested to consider. A guest left a review that started 'Priory Cottage was...' only my property is called Sutton House!

Is it factual? Is it the 'author's personal experience'?

Clearly it's neither of these! It may be possible to argue that that red is blue, but you can't change the name on the outside of the building.

But ABB are saying they can't change or remove it (even though the guest has requested this). I'm hoping to persuade them to make the change without removing the review - it's a good one - but it does seem that there's a problem when something uncontentious like this can't be corrected quickly and easily.

Yes, Matthew, that's exactly right and it's sickening how Airbnb allows hosts to damage a host's business by writing provable falsehoods.

Typo:  ....how Airbnb allows guests to damage a host's business by writing provable falsehoods.

Susan612
Level 8
United States

@Ben205thanks for sharing your story. Yours is a perfect example and why I posted this thread. Were you given a reason why the review will not be edited?

I encourage you to persist. I once had a point as clear and simple as knowing the name of thenbuilding is Sutton and not Priory and it wasn’t until the fifth Air Bnb representative that agreed and resolved the point for me. 

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Susan612I've phone ABB and got the stock response 'we can't do anything and my manager will the say the same', but have insisted the manager calls me. I'm waiting for that (could be 24 hours). In the meantime, have replied to their initial email response, twice, quoting review guidelines and terms of service.

I expect they will offer to remove the review, which leaves me wondering if it's better to have the very positive review albeit with the wrong property name, or to remove the review because it might confuse/ deter guests from booking. What do you think?

I do not usually read reviews, to read reviews strikes me as being the second stage of madness.

So I do not have this issue.

And the prospect of spending hours and hours on the phone with CS on such matters would drive me bonkers.

Anyway a good review is a good review even if they got the name wrong, in a few weeks the verbage will have slipped down the list and nobody is likey to ever read it but the hopefully 5 Stars will still count.

@Ben205 I would let it go.

David

@David126  what are your thoughts on Air Bnb enforcing their content policy and terms of service. As a host or guest is that important to you?