Cleaning Fee surcharge

Julianne11
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Cleaning Fee surcharge

Hi,

I am a new host and I charge a set cleaning fee but i’m finding that guests are not following my house rules and leaving trash not thrown out, dirty dishes in washer and sink, food not thrown out in the fridge, house very unorganized and its taking my housekeeper extra time to clean.

Does anyone charge surcharges for guests not following house rules? 

Thanks for the help!! 

14 Replies 14
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Julianne11. In such cases you may request the money for that extra cleaning using the option "request money" or, when refused by the guest, file a claim through the Resolution Center. Collect some proof of the situation - photos and invoices.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thanks for the reply! I’m definitely going to add the surcharge fee to my house rules and just mention it to guests before check-in and hopefully that does the trick!! 

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Julianne11@Marzena4,

Do however not count on it, you will get refunded for the additional work - in all cases!

I've read many cases, where the host did not succeed in getting refunded for additional cleaning.

In another conversation I had once with another host, the host claimed they were only succesfull in getting additional cleaning fee - in about 50% of all relevant cases.

Guests who pay a cleaning fee don’t expect to also clean. Raise your cleaning fee accordingly and offer a partial rebate to clean guests.

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Lisa723,

That's also a very good option!

Make it an incentive to them, so they may get some money back 🙂

But there is something commonly referred to as commonsense - if the cleaning fee is just above living wages one cannot expect a thorough cleanup for that.

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Marzena4,

That's true as well.

I was more thinking about charging initially a bit more - as a standard cleaning fee.

But that has the negative consequence that your initial 'unit-price' will go-up.

So it all depends what your marketing strategy is.

When you are in a competitive market, this would be difficult. When guests are still in the window-shopping phase.

Our simple motive is always: Never go beyond costprice.

We charge € 50 as cleaning fee, and our houserules state that guests are supposed to keep the place tidy. And that seems to work out for 98% of all cases.

I know what you mean, @Cor3 - there will always be those bastards who will drop litter just for the sake of doing it. Just saw some entering a neighbouring Airbnb in my street when heading home from a walk... Lucky they are not staying in my place. And noisy they were - at 22.30.

Thanks for the suggestions....dirty dishes and food left behind i think are additional to a regular cleaning. The rebate sounds like a good option though. 

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Marzena4@Julianne11,

It can even be worse. Last year we had a family over. And they simply did put some dirty dishes back in the cupboards! Our cleaning lady unfortunately overlooked this (somewhat understandable). So the next guests were confronted with this.

I was just so lucky, these new guests were very considerate - and not to hold this against us (They just put everything in the dishwasher - and that solved the issue for them).

So I did mention this in a private feedback to the previous guest (As I already left my review). And guess what: They started an argument with me over this!

Anyway it at least changed my policies on how to go about with hitting that send button on my reviews.

Nowadays I try to give a factual review of the guest, including factual setting of the stars. Guests have something to loose nowadays as well 🙂 Especially when they try to book an IB rental. The IB host can see upfront their ratings!

Where were they from, @Cor3, if I may ask? 

And with the ratings - it's true. I've been an avid supporter of equality between guests and hosts...

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Marzena4,

You may ask 🙂 They were Irish (to be honest: the Irish we commonly host - are pretty okay).

I used to be gentle (sort of a response to: Thank you for having been our guests and spending your money with us).

But I can tell you: These days are over!

The majority of guests: don't read anything (And now it apears they even don't listen!)

Everything more than 1 line of text, seems too much to consume for an average adult (See the informational texts with the Plus Programme Listings 😞 ).

We have a 261 page! electronic guide on our apartment (with a 1 page easily readable introduction summary leading them very gently to any section of their interest).

LOL!!!!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Sounds like you need to increase your cleaning fee.

David
Kristel5
Level 2
Severn, MD

I have a rule to not move furniture in my listing and on the printed instructions for the house. So if the house is in disarray, I know as soon as I walk in. 

With homes that accommodate a lot of people, remember that only the person who books sees your listing rules. Make sure there are copies of the rules visible to all guests, and post notes around the house for problem areas.