Cleaning Fee

Answered!
Kathryn131
Level 2
Sedona, AZ

Cleaning Fee

I'm a new host - What is the benefit to listing a separate 'cleaning fee'?  Is it funds listed on my taxes differently?  Or is it an easy way to get additional funds for the reservation...what...??  And, is there a benefit to not having an extra cleaning fee added, simply have it included in the nightly fee...??  Thanks for thoughts...just couldnt find any related suggestions from ABnB guidelines...

1 Best Answer
Nina194
Level 3
Alexandria, VA

Cleaning service fees won't be subject to most transient/lodging taxes if they are line itemed separately.  But they will be subject to income tax.

I recently wrote an article called Optimizing Your Listing - Cleaning Costs which outlines some of the pros and cons of including a separate cleaning fee versus building it into your flat rate.  Let me know if it helps!

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

theres no hidden meaning to it.

a cleaning fee is a cleaning fee. meant to cover costs to either your cleaning crew or whatever you feel your cleaning time is worth

Thanks bunches for the response...gives me perspective and understanding.

Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

@Kathryn131

Cleaning fee is a standard for AirBnB so if you include it into your rate you may price yourself out of the market when guests are searching.

Lets say it costs you $20 to clean a room (cleaning time, products, laundry, a setaside for replacement worn sheets-towels etc) and your base rental rate is $50.

Comparing 5 day stays:

If you roll the cleaning fee into your rental your guest pays  $350 (esentially they pay the cleaningfee 5x)

Another place with the same rates separated cleaning fee + rental pays $270 ($50x5+$20)

When comparing prices, guest will figure this out you will likely not get many bookings at all.

Hope that helps.

Thanks bunches for the response...gives me perspective and understanding...should I decide to absorb cleaning fee in my room price, I will ensure that it is not disportionate as your example suggests...

@Kathryn131

Glad I could help. I am not a huge fan of the cleaning fee ( mine is $14)and don't get many stays past 4 days so its not a huge factor for me. However, it is itemized in your host statistics so I consider that amount my budget for products, upgrades & replacements. This year I have made $476 in cleaning fees so I can safely use that as my spending account. I bought 2 minifridges, 4 robes, new lamps... with no guilt because I knew I had it in my cleaning fee spending budget.

Good luck and happy hosting 🙂

Nina194
Level 3
Alexandria, VA

Cleaning service fees won't be subject to most transient/lodging taxes if they are line itemed separately.  But they will be subject to income tax.

I recently wrote an article called Optimizing Your Listing - Cleaning Costs which outlines some of the pros and cons of including a separate cleaning fee versus building it into your flat rate.  Let me know if it helps!

Thanks Nina, very helpful info - I really like the 'all inclusive' pricing, but also like the separation for taxing purposes....what to do, what to do!?  For now I have separated during my trial phase...will revisit later once I have a grip on all the tax vs. booking ease ramifications thereof.

Sorry for late reply, some of my responses were going to spam folder...grr

Thanks again,

Kathryn

Orchuma0
Level 2
Bangkok, Thailand

A quick question for cleaning fee. What I understand is the cleaning fee is a one-time charge for each reservation. What happen when my guest books for 5 day-long and she requests for cleaning service? She needs to responsible for the extra cleaning charge seperately?

Hey @Orchuma0

sorry to just be seeing this - I'm new at hosting, so can only suggest what I anticipate doing:

for longer than week reservations I have each time 'offered' an interim cleaning - and depending on the amount of days over 7, I will suggest a reduced fee for a quick bed change and dusting/vacumning if needed.  So far the longest I've had reservations for is 14 days, and no one has taken me up on my offer (I do have washer/dryer, so that may stem the tide a bit 😉

I do intend, however, to let folks know that reservations 21 days or more will require the interim fluff&dust - that way I can have a quick looksee to ensure my space is being treated properly, or at least **bleep** in the bud before it gets out of hand...the interim cleaning 'reasoning' was a suggestion I found that makes every sense to me.

Samantha221
Level 1
Denver, CO

I am new to hosting and am trying to set my listing up. I have looked seemingly EVERYWHERE to add a cleaning fee and it doesn't seem to be an option in the calendar, pricing or anywhere else.  Help!!

I am a relatively new host and want to know how I can increase my cleaning fee for a guest who is bringing a service dog.  I agreed to that even though I have a no pet policy, but indicated I would like $10 extra for cleaning.   I don't know how to set that up online.  Any ideas?  Also experiences with tailoring details for specific situations.

I allowed a couple to bring a dog once for a couple days, and before they booked I just sent them a special offer and increased the rate $5 a day to cover the extra cost.  It was then included when they booked the room.

Hey Carol - I would suggest that the 'service dog' situation is not always as it is presented, so you may want to do alot of chitchat to flesh it out...unfortunately, ABnB will state that you must accept them or potentially face sanctions and/or possible lawsuits...the 'comfort animal' frenzy and the ADA prohibitions for requiring certifications/proof of medical needs does make it difficult to weed out the chaffe.

I personally feel that I have to consider my overall business - unlike a hotel that can dedicate a block of rooms for folks with animals, I have only a single space to let - if/when I am forced to allow a service dog in then I no longer can say that I am 'animal allergen' free - I do my own cleaning assisted by my husband, and he is deathly allergic to dogs; I lose that backup assistant and must farm out my cleaning needs for the rest of my renting days!

All that being said, I recommend that you charge a must heftier cleaning fee for any service dog that you approve - my cousin approved a service dog and a huge pitbull-mix show up to stay in her bedroom for a whole week - the amount of cleaning to remove the smell was very tedious and time-consuming, to a point that the next guest had to be moved to another accommodation. 

Charge well extra for the dog accommodation, and when the 'service dog' comes and goes without issue or extraordinary cleaning requirements you can always refund a portion for the guest's courtesy of being mindful and cleanly with their dog...and keep that potential refund under your hat, otherwise you'll be arguing with the guest forever as to whether or not they deserved it or not...just sayin...

@Kathryn131 and @Carol559 If it is a true service dog you're not allowed to charge more for the dog to stay. Meaning no pet fee as a service dog is not a pet, but a working dog. That should be well trained, harnessed and constantly with the handler. The will be no pulling on a lease or running around by the dog, no constant barking, no using your house as a toilet, no aggressive or bad behavior if any of this happens the ADA rules say you can have the dog removed. You can only ask: Are you disabled? and What tasks is your dog trained to do? Nothing else. 

This is not a service dog by the way, since your guest has agreed to a pet fee. They would inform you that you can not charge for the dog. I would reply by asking her the questions above  "Are you disabled? What tasks is your dog trained to do? Also just to make you aware my state imposes penalties on those who falsely claim or imply (for example, by using a service animal harness) that their animal is a service animal, when it is not."