Cleaning Fee

Answered!
Kathryn131
Level 2
Sedona, AZ

Cleaning Fee

I'm a new host - What is the benefit to listing a separate 'cleaning fee'?  Is it funds listed on my taxes differently?  Or is it an easy way to get additional funds for the reservation...what...??  And, is there a benefit to not having an extra cleaning fee added, simply have it included in the nightly fee...??  Thanks for thoughts...just couldnt find any related suggestions from ABnB guidelines...

1 Best Answer
Nina194
Level 3
Alexandria, VA

Cleaning service fees won't be subject to most transient/lodging taxes if they are line itemed separately.  But they will be subject to income tax.

I recently wrote an article called Optimizing Your Listing - Cleaning Costs which outlines some of the pros and cons of including a separate cleaning fee versus building it into your flat rate.  Let me know if it helps!

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21

Carol...I would check your State Laws as well

On that same note not every state recognizes "emotional comfort" pets as "service pets". I live in Santa Barbara California and that is the case where I live. Since I have an indoor/outdoor cat that I prefer to come home at night I have a strict no pet policy. That being said, if the guest is actually disabled, vetted by the appropriate questions as to what duties the dog will be performing, I have no issue whatsoever.  There is no better behaved dog then a true service dog. My cat will sleep well at home everynight and I do not feel that any additional cleaning fees would be fair or necessary. However, if I could charge an extra fee for parents that let  toddlers run amok in my house unsupervised with crayons I would! 

Joanna280
Level 2
Hobart, Australia

I really don't like "hidden expenses" when searching for accommodation. If you want to charge for cleaning, build it into your basic nightly fee. Hotels etc don't charge "cleaning fees". If quests are paying an additional cleaning fee, does it make them less inclined to wash dishes or leave accommodation clean and tidy?

Thats a great answer and i agree.

If the host is paying a cleaning person then maybe i can see adding a percentage of the cost.

But if the host cleans the house themselves theres no need for a fee, just raise the overall price. Agreed.

When you use a one time fee for a rental it is included in my taxes by AirBnB.   

Then I pay the cleaning company for their work and the cleaning company pays the taxes on what I pay them.  Isn't this duplicate taxation?

Hi everyone! I’m a new host and would like to find out if the cleaning fee is what you charge daily or once-off for the duration of the guests’ stay? For guest staying for a minimum of a month,  can I put term and conditions to the cleaning fees to say that thorough cleaning will be done once a month? Please advise. Thanks!

Carol753
Level 2
Happy Valley, OR

I encourage Air BnB to state exactly what a cleaning fee is, how it should be applied, specific to stays under 7 days or longer which would be perhaps differently applied.

The majority of my guests stay an average of 5 days, with 7 days longest because I want to be sure they are taking care of the premises, and fit within the guidelines of the House Rules.

I had my first guest who apparently feels that the Cleaning Fee is for my services daily to clean up after he uses the restroom, and surrounding area regardless if it states within my House Rules that each guest must clean up after themselves and help maintain the premises like they find it before using it. 

This guest had felt he is not responsible for cleaning up after himself regardless if a space is shared or not.

Therefore, I believe Air bnb should/must clearly state rules and detailed guidelines regarding a Cleaning Fee. 

A host should not be put in the position of mothering or fathering a guest to clean up after them.

Other thoughts on this welcome!