Cleaning Fees

Answered!
Derik0
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

Cleaning Fees

It would be really nice if Airbnb allowed hosts to set their cleaning fees to the duration of the stay. I am finding that my cleaning resources are getting way too bogged down with extra cleaning that is required for a longer stay.

It takes way more resources to clean a place after guests leave after a month vs just a couple of nights. I truly feel that cleaning fees shouldn't be billed the same way.

As an example, it makes perfect sense for me to charge $20 for an over night guest VS. $50 for a week VS. $100 for a month stay. The amount of cleaning varies but typically increases the longer guests stay. 

I am sending this out and hopefully, the Airbnb solutions team hears it 🙂 

Derik

1 Best Answer

Do you give a percentage discount off your daily rate for longer stays?  Take away the discount and apply that money to the cleaning fees.

View Best Answer in original post

55 Replies 55
Taylor48
Level 2
Dallas, TX

@Derik0 I completely agree. I actually just joined Airbnb as a host officially, but have been working as a co-host/consultant for about a year. I notice that guest's messes/dirt is so much more for those staying long term. I've been having this problem with housekeepers because the typical time to clean is anywhere from 2-4 hours after a guest leaves upwards of a 3 night stay vs. anywhere from 4-6 hours if it is around a month yet I'm only charging $30 cleaning fee per booking when a housecleaning charge is definitely more afterwards. I hope this changes as well! 

Do you give a percentage discount off your daily rate for longer stays?  Take away the discount and apply that money to the cleaning fees.

Hi @Derik0,

We don't have a cleaning fee at all. It's imply 'included' within our daily rate, that way, the longer a guest stays, the more that is effectively 'allocated' to cleaning. Also, as a user of Airbnb as a guest too, I try to avoid places that levy a seperate cleaning fee, I don't like it. That could be another way to go... but it does mean your daily rate will be slightly higher, which you may prefer to avoid?

@Aogán0 I totally get your angle but I am trying to expand the number of listings I am managing and I find it very convenient to have it separate. My sweet spot is having people stay for a few days (3 works well) which averages out the cleaning costs over the few days. I am not the cheapest out there but I try to have a listing that has that wow factor and I spend a lot on the little stuff that makes the place that much more enjoyable. 

I also don't think that Airbnb charges a fee on cleaning so it's nice to have a nice round number for cleaning. Lastly, I don't think it would take too much work to add this feature if enough of us talk and ask about it!

Thank you very much for your input it's something I'm going to consider for sure!

Derik

Lisa658
Level 10
Hervey Bay, Australia

@Derik0

This is from a help page - the cleaning fee does have a service charge and is included in the nightly rate visible to guests on their initial search so it makes little difference if you include it in the rate or not except that longer stays will be more economical on properties that have a set cleaning fee.

I have heard that payments through the resolution centre do not have a service fee but have not looked this up myself.  

There are a few things to know about cleaning fees:

• In the search results, guests will see a nightly rate that includes the cleaning fee divided by the total number of nights in the reservation. When they submit a reservation request, the nightly rate and the cleaning fee will be listed separately in the price breakdown.
  • The cleaning fee is part of the reservation total and is not returned to guests at the end of the reservation.
  • Because the cleaning fee is included in the total guest payment and host payout, service feesapply.
  • Cleaning fees are not automatically added to Special Offers so you should factor that in when setting an all-inclusive price.

Lisa

@Lisa788 are you saying that if I chare 65 cleaning fee, 65/7 days and then 65/30 days for one week and for one month's tenants? the argument here is about the uneven cleaning fees between short term and long term guests in the shared common areas. 

Great solution. I’m going to adopt this method. 

Hi @Aogán0 "but it does mean your daily rate will be slightly higher, which you may prefer to avoid" State right in your description "NO CLEANING FEE" Even if your nightly rate is slightly higher, overall, you cost the guest less. I don't have a Cleaning Fee either and my bookings have increased since I removed it and state it in my opening description. 

that is just an unthoughtful remark. People's minds do not work that way. they need to see the break down of the prices and besides who does not appreciate the discount?

If I do not discount they will go to elsewhere.  they will take it as "no discount" and never understand that is for the cleaning fee.  

please remove your unthoughtful comment please, this hurting the argument and the hosts. 

Then what is the point of offering a discount in the first place?

Susan156
Level 2
Seekonk, MA

I have a problem with how dirty people leave your space. Am I wrong to be upset when guests leave large food pieces and cake frosting smeared all over counters, floors and in the grout of floor and kitchen rug? Food pieces, large pieces, inside my dishwasher? would you leave a not so good review for these people? I don't want to seem like I am picking on someone, but this is my home! I look at cleaning fees to be more of a sanitary measure. 

Susan

I'm totally with you @Susan156

I don't expect people to scrub the floors and dust everything off when leaving but I do expect people to leave the house tidy and free from stains on the tables and especially food. There's no tolarance for food left out in the open.

I'd never leave a bad review if the floors are dirty in the hall because it has been raining but I'll leave a bad review if people don't do the dishes, do a rough quick scan of the house and clean up the worst and take out the garbage as mentioned in my house rules.

Most people understand this when staying in someone else's house and will be respectful but some are just slobs. 

We are new to this and have found that a percentage of guests will be much dirtier than others. This does make cleaning fees hard to levy, as cleaning will take anywhere from 2 to 2.5 hours, and depend on how messy they are... we're starting to suspect that children under the age of ~5 will cause more mess and have considered adding a fee for additional people to help counter. However, I don't know we can say, the cleaning fee will be an addition X% if you have children under 5 y/o.

Gina1
Level 2
Loughton, United Kingdom

.If you leviedan extra fee due to age in the UK it would be classed as agist.  THe same can apply to older people who don't have such good eyesight with the washing up etc!