Cleaning fees shown in the price breakdown, but host criticizes me for not cleaning up

Juyong0
Level 1
Cambridge, United Kingdom

Cleaning fees shown in the price breakdown, but host criticizes me for not cleaning up

When I was booking a room in Salzburg, the price breakdown showed cleaning fees. After our stay, the host made an issue with our cleanliness in public in our review. When we asked them what the problem was, they answered that it was because we hadn't done our dishwashing when we left.

Since there was no mention of our having to do our dishes, I took an issue with this, and this is what they said:

"

1) I can not change the review anymore, because from the moment, we both reviewed your stay, it is simply not possible on airbnb anymore.
2) I never charged 'additional' cleaning fees.
It's standard on airbnb that I charge some fees, mine are 30€ per stay and you agree to these fees in the moment you book our apartment.
This standard cleaning fee includes the basic clean-up I do personally between every airbnb guest.
As you could see our apartment is flawlessly clean, just how I want it to be for my houseguests.
When you book an airbnb apartment you agree to live in a home, in this case IN MY HOME, so I expect from you to behave like guests too.
Therefore the basic clean-up fee does not include me washing all your dishes and glasses you left behind from the two days you stayed here. I don't think houseguests behave that way.
And so have none of our previous guests.
I am sorry, writing this in the public review, I could have written that in the private one, I made that mistake, that I realize.
But on the other hand, how you left the washing-up (of the dishes) was substandard for airbnb.

"

My question to Is it true that it is an agreed-upon standard that we should have done our dishes, even without an explicit condition? Secondly, if the price breakdown has cleaning fees explicity, is it wrong for me to assume that I am paying for the cleaning?

And then, they further claim that not doing my dishes could be my 'behavioural problem':

"

I can not specify standards. If 48 out of 50 people staying with us manage to clean up their dishes, then maybe you can do to, because that is just how guests behave.
My houserules state that you use my home mindfully, I AM SORRY, that you were offended by 'washing up was not their strength' that bad, but the review I gave you was 70% positive.

"

Dear Airbnb community, how should I think about this? Airbnb is claiming that they care about my 'hurt feelings' but taking their side that I'm not understanding the meaning of cleaning fees.

Deeply confused and frustrated.

0 Replies 0