Cleaning for Long Term Reservations

Cleaning for Long Term Reservations

Hello all, Need some advice on when or when not to clean my hosted unit. I have a guest who reserved, 60 days.  I have a rule that we'll clean the unit every 2 weeks on Sunday afternoon.  During that time, I clean the bathroom and shower.  In the unit, I dust, vacuum, wipe down everything including windows ledge and also sweep and mop.  Usually there always something to clean, or something small to repair.  I normally give 24 - 48 hours notice of my entering unit.  My guest is tidy and clean by his standards, and insist on me not cleaning the unit unless he requests it. 

Is there a rule of thumb of letting guests dictate if the unit should be cleaned or not? Does anyone here have experience in this area?  I want to accommodate the guest and make him feel welcomed, but I also don't want to be repairing stuff or cleaning for an extended period once they leave.  

Any suggestions?  I would appreciate recommendations on how best to handle this. Trying to create a win/win end result.

Thank you in advance,

S. 

5 Replies 5
Tammy239
Level 2
Peachland, CA

Hi Shane,

I also have the same question, however, it should be up to you as the host to determine how often you want the place cleaned. If it were a hotel, there would be frequent maid service so this is uncharted territory for us as well.

I hope someone with experience in this responds!

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Tammy239  and @Shane321 

I am not vastly experiened with this myself, but I am aware that in many ( most) locations, once a stay goes over 30 days the rights of the renter change - it is no longer an STR but an LTR and tenancy rights come into play. I believe this can make it a little more awkward for you and you may need to organise a tenancy agreement if you are worried about things.

However even with a tenancy agreement, as I understand it, you as the landlord are able to nominate things like "visits" to ensure your property is being adequately maintained - but you need to get this sorted prior to the stay commencing.

I am not legal expert, but my feeling is, the buck stops with you   - it's your property so if a guest if requesting anything that makes you uncomfortable don't feel forced into it. After all unlike an actual LTR you will still be covering utilities etc.  However I can also see the guests point of view - they want a bit of privacy.  Personally I think communication is the key.  Say you are not prepared to let the property go 2 months without an inspection but you are willing to negotiate the fortnightly clean ( if you are)

If the guest is reasonable and flexible and explains their concerns adn you feel re assured and comfortable  - all good.  But if the guest starts trying to impose how THEY want things and expects you to fall in line with them,  I would be asking them to move elsewhere. No long term booking money is worth the potential of a difficult guest who may to damage

I'm sure more experienced hosts will be along shortly who  can offer more specific advice.

Good luck! 

Donn-And-Vicki0
Level 2
Conewango Valley, NY

I too have the same question?  Our one bed one bath  has a washer and dryer with any needed laundry detergents .  We have our first longer term guest (21 days). I am not sure of the protocol on cleaning for this length of stay?   We live next door to the property and have no concerns or worries about this guest at all. 

I did send our guest a message re: cleaning and linen service; letting he/she know that we will do what ever he/she is accustom to during his/her stay.    Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

@Donn-And-Vicki0 For stays of longer than a week or 10 days I offer a complimentary weekly housekeeping refresh in order to keep the place in good order.  Even the best guests might let things slide during a three- or four-week stay.

@Shane321  @Donn-And-Vicki0 

There isn't a set rule but many hosts who allow long-term stays find it beneficial to have *mandatory* mid-term cleaning. If you have it in your house rules, reiterate during initial communication with the guest and say this is non-negotiable, guests will either have to agree or find somewhere else. 

Here are some other posts

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Review-cleaning-after-long-term-stay/m-p/543279

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/extra-cleaning-fee-for-long-term-reservation/m-p/884768

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Help-Long-term-guest-regrets/m-p/714550