Cleaning, remote location, line, rubbish

Alex6406
Level 2
Kurraba Point, Australia

Cleaning, remote location, line, rubbish

I live a a few hours away from my AIRBNB and I am having trouble finding cleaners I have been through 3 neighbours in the area to clean the house.  One started stealing from me and not cleaning it properly, another did it twice and not very well and opted out said it was too much for her.  It usually only takes 1 to 2 hours to clean but if left particularly messy it can take 3 hours, but this doesn't happen often.  A third neighbour who was very good has had to stop now due to illness.  Can I ask guests to bring there own linen?  I am thinking that if I could offer the $75 with no bed making I may be able to attract someone who won't mind the 1/2 hour travel time from one of the nearest towns.  I have been told that some people ask you to take your rubbish with you, empty the dishwasher and leave it very clean or you can be penalised.  But how does this work?  I can not see anywhere in the account set up to suggest how to set up the account in this way?

4 Replies 4
Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

@Alex6406  I personally would not expect a guest to make a bed or clean up after themselves. What kind of vacation would it be to show up and have to clean up after a previous guest? Yuck. I also do not ask my guests to take out the trash or clean up; that is what my cleaning fee is for. However, you are correct; many hosts have lots of rules and requirements. 

I like your previous solution of finding a neighbor that could do it. Does your neighbor have a recommendation of who could take her place? Is there a community board in the area where you could post help wanted? Or maybe post on Craigslist for help wanted?

Alex6406
Level 2
Kurraba Point, Australia

Thank you I have been to AIRBNB"s where they have charged a cleaning fee but also there is a charge for not taking rubbish, for not emptying the dishwasher, for not stripping the beds, and for not leaving the place clean on leaving I wonder how do they claim for this and how do they get away with it.  I have friends who stayed at an  AIRBNB and where unable to locate any bins and where charged for not putting the rubbish in the bins? They left it bagged up but at the door because of being unable to find a bin. But they where still charged.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Alex6406 In your shoes I would raise the cleaning fee to whatever it costs to get someone reliable to do it well.

To charge fees after the fact is problematic. You have to request the money via the resolution center and involve Airbnb if the guest declines to pay. Not a sustainable strategy IMHO.

@Alex6406   Yes, as @Lisa723  says, charging fees to guest after-the-fact is not a solution; Airbnb does not tend to enforce penalty fees at the behest of hosts.

Asking guests to bring their own linen is also a fool's errand, unless you're hosting nothing but local weekenders. For one thing, this sends a clear message that the property is not being inspected and cleaned between guests. But also, very few people have any inclination to burden their baggage with bed linens when they're not getting the savings that come with camping or hostels.

My suggestion is that, rather than going through more cleaners, you try to employ someone with an existing Airbnb profile as a Co-Host. This would allow you to delegate cleaning, room inspection, and check-in responsibilities to someone who has some direct accountability and personal investment in the outcome. An added benefit is that it gives your guest an emergency contact in closer range, who is able to provide services that you aren't. The extra responsibilities would come at a higher cost, but I think they'd give your listing greater value as you'd be able to provide all-around better service and cleaner conditions.