Co-Host to Primary Host - still no reviews?

Chris489
Level 4
Ellenville, NY

Co-Host to Primary Host - still no reviews?

Hello AirBnB community, 

I operate 8 units with my brother. He created the listings for all units, and is thus the Listing Admin. We used to work under one account, but now having grown and operating more listings, we have split accounts. I became a co-host to help this transition easier, but was feeling shortended as Co-Hosts do not get reviews. We had switched 4 of the 8 listings to make me the Primary Host, thinking that this would help me generate reviews. Now we have discovered that only Listing Admins can earn reviews from guest stays. I think this is a flaw in AirBnB's system for all parties involved, here's why:

For me, it is an obvious downside because I am doing work through AirBnB's platform and have zero trace of it. After hundreds of happy transactions, if I were to create a listing, I'd have zero reviews and thus guests would be hesitant to book with me. 

For AirBnB, this is a downside because I'd effectively be starting from scratch, even though I have been loyal the platform and proven t be a positive contributor. Additionally, the proposed solution from AirBnB customer service (which, themselves, were dumbfounded that after 500+ successful transactions I have ZERO reviews) of removing the current listings and regenerating them (so that I am Listing Admin) is a foolish one, because this now makes our proven properties and all of their 5-star reviews meaningless, which essentially means less bookings for them. 

For the guest, they are forced to review a Listing Admin EVEN though, as PRIMARY HOST, I am the person that the guest comes into most contact with. The whole "co-host vs primary host" foundation is based upon who you're interacting with, and I feel that the title Primary Host sounds pretty legitimate enough to earn reviews. 

Let me be clear that this is not a domestic dispute, but rather a legitimate concern with the security of AirBnB's reviewing system. I understand not having reviews for Co-Hosts, but a Listing Admin should be able to essentially forfeit their involvement and reputation by promoting a co-host or somebody to a PRIMARY HOST, a person who in turn gains reviews. Yes, the property reviews will still effect the Listing Admin overall, and the performance of the listing, but I am irked that still with the title PRIMARY HOST I can not earn reviews for the level of service that I am giving to my guests. 

I am constantly trying to advocate for this change - whether it be to easily transfer power from one Listing Admin to a new one, or promoting the PRIMARY HOST as the person who receives a review after a guest's stay, allowing for more Superhosts and more trustworthy AirBnB experiences. Please do not let this issue slip through the cracks. AirBnB is a growing platform and needs feedback from US - the people supplying the product for this platform to thrive on. I know there are more people in similar situations (transfer of property ownership comes to mind) and really am just trying to gain some traction. The platform changes every week and I applaud innovation, and am really hoping that something can be done regarding this issue. The need to feel appreciared is an inherent and core human desire – I give my all everyday to enhance the stays of my guests and it shows tremendously in reviews, just not my own. Please help make this right AirBnB and AirBnB community.  

Thank you,

Chris Platis 

13 Replies 13
Frida0
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Hi Chris,

we are having a similar problem ??

we have had our apartment rented out through Airbnb for over a year now, managing it ourselves.

We have now taken on board a management company to take care of our place and they have made a new listing make but I can't seem to find a way to transfer all our 5 star reviews collected over the past year to the new management listing??

Peter575
Level 1
Taunton, United Kingdom

Hi,

Same issue here! Did either of you find a way around this big issue?

Best,

Peter

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Posted in error.......

Len21
Level 2
Pittsboro, NC

I just discovered that a listing I've been managing for and geting all 5 star reviews for has resulted in me having 0 reviews. I am... shocked... 

I am now attempting to figure out the best workaround. The house belongs to a friends and he doesn't care how I get the property rented. I could use AirBNB or any other method. So... Should I move the house into my own account and set him up as a Co-Host? If I do that, can the funds from tenants still go directly to him? 

I am just looking to obtain reviews. People see my account with zero reviews and are probably shocked to see I'm a cohost with no history at all...... That can't sit well with people... 

For your case I’d take the listing down and then put it back up with YOU as the listing manager. You can keep your friend on as a co host and send the money to him. It’ll require some work but will work. Unfortunately I’m in a situation where our properties have 100s of 5* reviews, so taking them down to start fresh isn’t feasible from a business perspective. I’ve literally had hundreds of happy guests leave reviews, of which I have zero. It stinks. 

Chris1047
Level 2
Horam, United Kingdom

I've just spotted this. Having the same issue here.

Several times Airbnb Support have told me it's fine and that I'll start receiving the reviews for any bookings made since I became primary host, however there are still none.

All the 5-star reviews seem to be disappearing.

When are Airbnb going to fix this???

Leah235
Level 2
St. Augustine, FL

Hi Chris and everyone, 

I too am having the same issue...I’ve helped my in-laws out over the years co-hosting, among others and continuously get them 5 star reviews but I get nothing to show for since I’m only a ‘primary or co-host’. I’m owner of a full time vacation rental cleaner/property management biz (Interior Sunshine, LLC in St. Augustine, FL.) and absolutely love what I do and being apart of the vacation rental system here but I’m about to start full time hosting for a friend as well and I’m frustrated that all of my hard-work will go unrecognized on Airbnb. At this point I feel I should be a ‘Superhost’ although like you, I have 0 stats/reviews to show for. Would love to see something done about this for all the people like us who strive for excellency as a co-host and get nothing. Love the Airbnb app and platform so I hope to see a positive change for this issue. 

Kate1885
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Any new fix to this? I am having the same problem.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Kate1885  I hope you’re well!

There is no fix or workaround to this, guest reviews will always be tied to the account of the listing admin.

Same problem for me. I co-own a property with a friend of mine. He is the obe who set up the listing. We both interact with guests and support the listing but he gets all the reviews to his account. I Would also like Airbnb to rectify this so I get the reviews to my account! 

There is nothing to rectify @Mason-and-Heather0  the reviews belong to the profile which set up the listing. They cannot be shared with the co-host. 

The co-host, when you set up a listing is simply a supplier that supports the main host. 

It would have been better for you to set up a joint account to operate the listing from.

@Helen3 

I realize it wouldn’t be a rectification based on the current setup of Airbnb but I think it should be changed to allow admins to give credit to co-hosts if they choose to do so. By opening a new account, I would then have one personal account for my own properties and another for joint accounts. It is clunky and Airbnb should change the structure. 

I'm a co-host as well as a host and don't have an issue with hosts being credited with the reviews as it's their business. @Mason-and-Heather0 

As I said it would have been better if you and your partner set up a joint account to manage your business if you both needed equal access/credit.