Cockroach scam?

Nina-and-Clint0
Level 2
Mount Victoria, Australia

Cockroach scam?

We’ve just had a guest vacate our property citing cockroaches. While there were cockroaches when we entered the property, this is not something we have ever experienced in our home ever. With one guest, we’ve gone from no cockroaches seen in the five years we’ve lived in our cool climate, to several in the space of a few hours. 

While I do understand that these things happen, I can’t help but be suspicious. There is no evidence of an infestation: no droppings or dead cockroaches to be seen anywhere on our property. The guest, despite being new to Airbnb and this being his first stay, carefully documented the infestation, starting at 5am. When I asked to see the problem, he immediately stated they were departing. He took all rubbish with him. And again, despite being new to Airbnb, instantaneously sent a request for money for the full amount paid for his stay, citing stress and inconvenience.  (He stayed 2 out of 3 nights) 

We reached out to Airbnb and he will more than likely just get the one night refunded. However, we were told that another complaint and we would have a ‘caption’ attached to our listing ( I am not sure what this means). Airbnb asked for no evidence from us regarding this matter and is relying on the evidence provided by the guest.  We have zero negative reviews for this problem. 

Just looking to see if anyone has had any similar experiences. We pride ourselves on running a clean and tidy space and are upset that damage may have been done if this is indeed a scam or an intentional act.

2 Replies 2
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Nina-and-Clint0

I've never read of such a scam before here on the Community Center, but I'd love to hear what happened since you last posted. Did you find out more from the Support team or the guest?

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Nina-and-Clint0
Level 2
Mount Victoria, Australia

Hi @Emilie,.

We found this: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Fake-Roaches-Trend/td-p/1268952

We figured the scammers have progressed to planting real ones for the purpose of filming them. The guest was diligent in explaining they were real because he had video.

The guest was refunded one night and we’ve not heard from them. We’ve also had no complaints or reviews regarding cockroaches from other guests that have stayed since this happened.