Cockroaches

Kevin440
Level 1
Claremont, CA

Cockroaches

We're supposed to stay at this small studio in Orlando for a MONTH, but the longer we've been here (it's only been 3 days), the more I don't think we can put up with the conditions of it. 

The first thing we noticed after the first day here is that the water from the bathroom sink, kitchen sink, and shower all smell and TASTE like SEWER water.... Our host said that they converted the bathroom from a washer and dryer set up previously. So it's a little suspect about whether good water is being used..

And last night we found a small cockroach near our suitcases!!!! I've lived in warm climates and had cockroach experience, so I know that when there's a small cockroach in the building that there is breeding going on in the walls. Unfortunately, we just killed the cockroach rather than taking a picture first because it was a scared knee-jerk reaction to something so disgusting as a small fast cockroach.  

It's just getting to be too much to handle honestly. I just don't think we can handle living her for another 4 weeks. What should we do??

And the worst part is that the host is such a good guy, and you can tell that he's doing this Airbnb because their family needs the extra income. But where do I draw the line of wanting to be kind to someone deserving, and not hating my housing situation because of disgusting water and vermin??

7 Replies 7
Marie405
Level 10
Taguig, Philippines

Hi @Kevin440, it's very nice of you to recognise the kindness of your host and even think of his finances.  On the other hand your concerns are understandable and there's no point of staying in a place where you are not happy especially if you're on your vacation.  I would advise you to find another place first before informing your host.  I'm sure he will understand your reason.

@Marie405 thanks for the comment! We are currently looking at a few places right now. 

Have you had experience where you've been refunded because of bad conditions? I'm just concerned that we won't be able to get our money back and as a result will have to stay here because we can't really afford to pay for 2 places. 

@Kevin440 Start gathering some “proof” (pics, etc) and then contact Airbnb to re-home you. 

@Kevin440 thankfully I haven't booked and Airbnb home with bugs or water problem. Give Airbnb a call and raise your concerns I'm quite sure they'll refund you.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Kevin440

You should also notify your host regarding the bugs and your other concerns/issues, he is probably just as keen to get rid of the bugs as you are. Keep all conversation on the airbnb platform.

Ann219
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

I had a guest  cancel a booking and get a refund from airbnb because they said they found on dead cockroach in my unit ....   A big one    My building  is pest treated 4 times a year .   Also big cockroaches fly in sydney...   The guest was allowed  to cancel and get a full refund and my calander was blocked for the  duration of his booking.     MY unit is spotless as per my over 200 reviews.....   airbnb do not care about all my excellent reviews     I don't believe they have ever been to sydney....   Also I have been told that in order to get out of an airbnb booking just say you saw a  cockroach and you can leave and get your money....   I find it so upsetting how the host is treated by Airbnb.     We follow all the rules get great reviews' and they always believe the guest.......  Obviously because pays them a bigger service  charge.... They don"t seem to realise without hosts there is no business..

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Ann219 having lived in Sydney for a few years I know about the cockroaches, they are shockers. Every single host in bug prone areas find the same problem. Plus, if guests are not immaculately clean bugs simply show up. I'm not being any help, sorry, just sympathetic.