Collapse of Airbnb bookings

Paul347
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Collapse of Airbnb bookings

After almost, into his 3 rd year of working with Airbnb as the only hosting platform that I use for my 3 listings,  by February this year I was already brimming with excitement for the oncoming season of maximum occupancy. My location is beyond fortunate- Central Shoreditch- attracting the hipster crowd for the whole unique ambiance,  Silicon Roundabout (5 mins walk away) Europes no.1 chosen tech start up location and art, street  markets etc on my doorstep. I received superhost status early on- My 2 ;etting bedrooms are spot on ( well, I know every host says this)lol But I do have a flair for interior design. Moving forward to March this year- started off quiet- no worries I thought,  just a slow start- maybe this wretched Brexit cloud hovering over out heards is deterring guests from planning London temporarily. Fast forward to mid July- My airbnb bookings/enquiries have all but completely ceased up.

I knew I had to take action as this is my sole source of income these days - I have 3 listings-all in the ame apartment- 1 double, 1 king/ensuite and once a month, I let the property exclusively while I pop off for my own little excursions.

I have been in the hospitality business nearly all my life- I believe I have the experience, knowledge and professionalism to treat my home which is in a very desirable location not only as a safe haven for me but a a business and a safe refuge for any staying guests. This is reflected in my reviews.

I still list on Airbnb - nothing changed- although there was a rude interlude back in September last  when one of my listed bedrooms. I was informed qualified for Airbnbplus.  I then received a couple of emails asking me to change just a couple of the room layout features and add some new pics. This I did- but stopped short of removing a large spotless rug that protects the solid wood floors below the dining table- also out of consideration for my neighbours beneath who I suspect would not appreciate the constant scraping of wooden chair legs against the wooden floor. I was told I would hear back shortly to receive this 'Honoured accolade' of Airbnb plus- although looking at the prices of such properties, I can think of many boutique hotels that offer an identical product at a cheaper price plus  in house 5 star services. However- I'm still patiently awaiting my reply.

When I search Shoreditch as a prospective guest, half the times, my property never shows up or the location on the map is way out- That can be a very important factor when I guest books.

I took the bull by the horns in May this year and added a 2nd platform with identical listings. I increased the price to exclude the Airbnb cleaning fee, the increased platform commision and the single occupancy rate that I have always offered Airbnb guests.

Talk about night and day ! Within 3 weeks I have been  receiving between 2 and 3 definite prepaid non refundable bookings per day- yes, you heard me right. To the extent that June rapidly bcame fully booked. as is July. August is 2/3 booked and now September is rapidly filling up- leaving no room for Airbnb prospective guests to even get a look in.

I believe I know the answer. Airbnb was always seen to the the cheapest alternative to staying in expensive big cities around th world. These people are often on a very tight budget- They arrive at  low cost airline airports- disregarding the printed check out and check in time. Financially, they often book at the last minute due to Airbnb taking the full cost of the room,plus commision,plus cleaning plus in some circumstances a damage deposit. Why would you hand over what can be $1000's of dollars months in advance for your trip abroad, when there are a mass of similar platforms guaranteeing the cheapest rate you will find anywhere which no hidden costs and no money up front depnding on the hosts policy ( 2 weeks beforehand in my situation).

It pains me to detail my experience with Airbnb  so far this year, but something somewhere has gone terrible wrong and I don't believe it is my good self.

Maybe Airbnb marketing department needs to clearly define exactly what they now are? I see you can book hotels, unique experiences, rooms in ,locals homes, and now luxury homes. Airbnb's market and advertising needs to be seriously addressed to prevent sliding ever further down the believability scale. The original concept was a fantastic product- but, never properly regulated. ''Mass Host  companies have sprung up all over the place- with community/council housing being snapped up in undesirable loctions with the promise of a superb  base for your holiday. That 15 m inute journey to the historic sights is unachievable- more like 1 hour 15 minytes and often through not so safe areas of the outer city.

I know the answer is always going to be - Airbnb are now a multi billion $$$ worldwide business- So was Woolworths a few years back.

Seriously though, I am I missing something here?  After a shakey start to the year, my gross income has increased, my guests no longer sneak into their room with a take away kebab or a m ug for cup-a-soup!, while they luxuriate in an apartment featuring many fine works of art, sold hand crafted beds and top quality linen- but obviously not sufficient to warrant Airbnb plus status. This no longer worries me - but I do feel a pang of sadness about slowly becoming  non- entity of Airbnb. This comes from someone who has been invited to the local Clerkenwell offices for lunch and at one point even giving a talk on what I considered yo be the main elements of being a successful host.  I feel badly for all the wonderful people who work tirelessly to  create a wonderful environment for both guests and hosts . But what is the use with one without the other ?

Possibly other London hosts can come to me rescue and tell me my experience this year is uncommon. 

Thank you for reading this far- I attempt to be as positive as I possible can - and financially I am up- but, how can I recommend Airbnb to other hosts (As pops up on my facebook page weekly) when my own experience this year has been so dire.

18 Replies 18
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm not sure Brexit has anything to do with it, @Paul347, despite some folk blaming it for everything (it certainly hasn't had any impact on my bookings). 

I'm not sure you've got a problem to speak of (you're getting bookings from elsewhere), but I do think the 'new' Airbnb guest is very price sensitive and with chains like Premier Inn squeezing the market with some great rates, there's often little in it.

I also think more and more Airbnb guests are after the 'white box' type of place, and not all of us live in these!

A little feedback (from a friendly place): you might want to space out your listing text; it's very difficult to read (as is your post, above) and skim-readers will simply 'TL;DR' it! 

Paul347
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for your advice-my ability to stretch out story telling is legendary! If only  I could count the number of times I have been told to 'Get to the point' lol!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Gordon0 That's exactly what I did - I couldn't get through even a third of that post.

You say he has other bookings, so if the calendar doesn't have much availability, that could be the problem.

Paul347
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Well, that is my very point. Airbnb insist on the guest paying the full amount plus commission within 24/48 hrs of provisionally booking. Other platforms offer the host a varied list of how they would like to aaccept the booking and price it likewise-i.e.pay up front non cancelable- 10% reduction. etc.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Paul347 just as @Ann72 and @Gordon0 said, it is very lengthy and difficult to read, I read only a few sentences when you first posted and I couldn't finish. I read it now and my experience is quite similar even though I am not in London. It is normal, the competition is increasing, hotels are lowering the prices, people advertise successfully on other platforms as you saw for yourself. Also if something goes great for a year or two it doesn't mean that success is guaranteed, there are fluctuations in bookings depending on season, political climate, the rising popularity of other inexpensive locations. Also as Ann said, if your calendar is almost booked there is very little space for Airbnb guests to book and without activity you will probably go lower down in search results. As for the Airbnb plus qualification, just read a few threads of hosts that joined here, I think you will change your mind about wanting to join. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

OK, @Paul347  and what's the other booking platform?

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul347 @Branka-and-Silvia0 

Paul,

Like Branka & Silvia I'm curious which other platforms, especially in relation to your private room listings?

There are many alternatives to entire flat bookings, but don't know about other sites for live-in hosts.

I was also with Wimdu till their demise end of 2018.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

This website was brought to my attention yesterday @Alon1  it appears to be one host one listing when it gets going.

https://fairbnb.coop/

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jeff158 

Thank you Jeff. Will check it out.

Paul347
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Alon and Branka- I don't feel it appropriate to advise Airbnb hosts on a community page provided by Airbnb as to where they can increase bookings not through Airbnb.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul347 @Branka & Silvia1 

Paul, thanks for reply.

However, I don't believe it would be inappropriate. 

We are not employees of Airbnb, and many Hosts use various platforms.

And as you see with Jeff advising me about another website, there is constant sharing. 

You may not be aware of it as you don't use CC so often judging by your Level 3 mark for participation.

Heather-and-John0
Level 2
Noosa Heads, Australia

This is what I discovered when I spent several hours trying to find out what was different about my listings that I was suddenly not get bookings, in spite of many 'looks', and I posted it on 5 Australian AIRBNB host sites and had over 200 replies advising that their listings had been changed to 'Shared bathrooms & Bedrooms', without notification, and were of course inaccurate, as these were not and are not shared spaces. Resulting in our 2 places having no bookings for 2 months, with the exception of those that had been made well in advance.  Repeated attempts to try and get a conversation going with AIRBNB have had no result at all. I would be surprised if this is not/was not a World Wide Glitch. Our advice is to check your listings, very carefully, including going into Edit, even if it looks okay. Heather Preston, Noosa, Australia.

Good Morning to you all, Quite by accident this morning I found Airbnb had updated the format of our listings. This is not obvious, but if you hit Edit on "rooms and spaces', under your pictures, a lot of new options come up, to add pictures to specific areas and answer questions etc. When I checked this out, I found mine were all showing as sharing spaces including bathrooms, great in a one bedroom apt. (Changed by AIRBNB with this introduction no doubt. I wondered why my Chinese Booking for 5 weeks in July (booked on the 15th April) had asked if they had to share the space, just thought it was lost in the translation. However, it was showing shared bathroom in our Hastings St. apt. as well, which may be part of the drop off in bookings for May & June, know it is traditionally a quieter time before it ramps up in July, but not this quiet. How can you share a bathroom in a one bedroom apt.? I am unaware of any notification of these changes, and unless you went to edit anything you would not find out. I RESPECTFULLY suggest you check your listings on AIRBNB.
Rooms and spaces
Add or edit areas guests can use and mark any spaces they’ll share
Hope this is a help, have a great day, Heather 😃

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I too am curious about other platforms for live in hosts? The screwing around with listings is indeed a random but worldwide glitch & means constant monitoring of one's listing & reassuring and/or clarifying stuff for guests. It's why I'm walking at the end of Sept. (snooze 4ever!) Sally

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Paul347 @Alon1 @Jeff158 @Sally221 @Heather-and-John0 and @everyone-else

@Paul347 I'm in New Zealand and the issues the others have raised are unfortunately what have all contributed to challenging issues.

IT Glitches would have to probably the worst anyone could experience with trying to Log In, some search engines like Firefox & Chrome pose serious issues for those reliant on Microsoft mobiles as they appear to be lacking compatibility with ABB platform.

There's much discussion here in CC re IT issues if you use related keywords in the searchbox here in CC.

We would also be most interested to know what the other Hosting platform is, and believe ABB have been unfairly targeted by local Councils and Governance which hasn't helped as it is simply a 2000's platform to match those with rooms available and no different really to the newspapers previously used as a marketplace.

All the best

Central To All Home & Location, New Zealand