Compensation for Setting Up a New Airbnb

Answered!
Christine20
Level 2
Pine Lake, GA

Compensation for Setting Up a New Airbnb

I created a new Airbnb for someone.

I did everything and much of the physical work.

I had the vision, made slipcovers, shopped for furnishings, took the pictures, built a deck, built a wood cover over an unsightly electrical box and wrote the entire listing. It took 30 days of intense work.

The listing immediately became very popular and the owner a superhost. Does anyone have an idea of what fair compensation for this would be?

Any input much appreciated!

Thanks!

Christine

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Kevin1322 . If you could get 20% annual income just for setting up a listing, then I would give up my day job and just do that :).

Setting up a listing on Airbnb takes perhaps two or three days at the most to take photos, stage the property, write content and upload.

With a property say that generated 80.000 a year this would give you £16,000.

I think personally it is better to provide a fixed one off rate based on work involved and then if you are going to be managing the listing on an ongoing basis a percentage of the listing value and then hourly rate for items such as emergency call outs.

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

You mean, you did not have an agreement with the listing owner beforehand? My answer is whatever they want to pay you, if they want to pay you. For the owner to be a superhost now, I would say that he started the listing over a year ago, you want to be paid now?

Hi Luana!

Not asking after the fact. We did agree in advance. Just wondering if there is a more or less established way of charging for CREATING not hosting. For hosting there are various rates. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Surely you agreed a price and a specification for your work BEFORE you carried out 30 days worth of 'intense'  work  @Christine20 ?????

If you haven't then you have to rely on the host's good will.

Fair compensation will be whatever you estimate for the various activities you carried out and whatever the host agrees to pay.

What is the going rate where you are for building a deck to the specification you agreed with the host or setting up an Airbnb listing?

Christine20
Level 2
Pine Lake, GA

Hi Helen!

Yes we agreed on the price. It is all said and done. I am asking out of curiosity only.

The deck was small, 10' x 10'. I'm not Wonder Woman 🙂

I haven't been able to find a rate for setting up an Airbnb. There are rates for hosting but not creating.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just price setting up an Airbnb like you would any other work as a self employed person @Christine20 . There is no 'rate' for doing this as workloads and requirements vary.

A. estimate how long it will take and what you will do

B. work out what compensation you need as an hourly rate taking into account expertise required

C. Provide a quote and terms and conditions for working with you

D. Once the client signs off. Use this to bill the client.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Christine20 ,

before I tell You what I think about it let me ask You a couple of questions:

Did the owner meanwhile pay You the amount You have both mutually agreed upon?

If the owner hasn't payed You yet:

Does he refuse to pay alltogether?

Does he now want to pay less than originally discussed?

Do You now want more than originally discussed?

Is one ot the 2 listings in Your profile the place we are talking about?

Pls advise,.

If I had the skills to do this, I would ask for a co-host payment of, say, 20% for the first year, 10% after that ongoing to maintain it all.  Then the host can see you are incentivised enough to do the ongoing work.

Otherwise it's <enter your own amount> day-rate for doing the work and then walking away.

Putting a deck in, over here in the UK would cost £100 to £150 per day labour per man, plus materials. !0x10 deck half a day, plus another half a day prep and running about. One man job = one day's man hours. 

Over here £100/day would apparently put me on the average national wage. 

Just my thoughts.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Kevin1322 . If you could get 20% annual income just for setting up a listing, then I would give up my day job and just do that :).

Setting up a listing on Airbnb takes perhaps two or three days at the most to take photos, stage the property, write content and upload.

With a property say that generated 80.000 a year this would give you £16,000.

I think personally it is better to provide a fixed one off rate based on work involved and then if you are going to be managing the listing on an ongoing basis a percentage of the listing value and then hourly rate for items such as emergency call outs.

Wendy345
Level 3
Savannah, GA

I don’t think there is a going rate for this service. I think interior decorators handle the job and get 15% of the spend. That gives you a place to start. You need to add the additional work you did to this amount.