Complaint

Complaint

Hi there

Looking for some advice if anyone can help?

I was due to stay in Edinburgh 26th to 29th November, good old Storm Arwenput a stop to that as the train line was closed, from Newcastle onwards, the main road was also shut. I emailed the host explained that we would like to reschedule to be told, we would have to cancel, so I did. I went online asked for my money to be refunded, no response, I wanted the obligatory 72 hours, still nothing.

I involved Airbnb resolution centre, who were as helpful as a chocolate teapot, all I got was, if the host doesn't want to refund you, she doesn't have to!

I argued that I was told to cancel, I also said it came under extenuating circumstances, Airbnb refused to help ant further and closed the complaint.

I now need to take this further, where do I go now to complain?

Many thanks in advance

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Denise1375 I would claim under your travel insurance if I were you.

Thank you 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Denise1375 If your travel issue is covered as per the EC policy, did you  provide the appropriate documentation to Airbnb that supports your claim?

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1320/extenuating-circumstances-policy

Unfortunately Airbnb were not interested, I have taken screenshots from news websites and the train company saying roads and rail travel had been disrupted due to closures due to this rare event.

I have now been told that someone will call me to discuss

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Denise1375 

Love your "chocolate teapot"  lol

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Denise1375  It's correct that the host has no obligation to refund or accept a rescheduling outside their cancellation policy. Hosts are not responsible for guest's travel disruptions- that's what travelers purchase travel insurance for.

It's also true that it's up to the guest to cancel if you aren't going to keep the booking.  Many hosts will refund something if they are able to rebook the dates.  But they can't rebook them until they are cancelled. Also the host is not obligated to refund rebooked dates. It's their choice.

It's best, as a guest, to inform yourself of the cancellation policy for whatever listing you are booking, and if you need to cancel, to read the policies and instructions for guests in the Help section of the main Airbnb site, rather than just doing what the host tells you to, or assuming that you will be refunded. 

I'm not sure why you thought you'd get refunded anything if the cancellation policy didn't say you would and it isn't covered by the EC policy, which travel disruptions are not.

Thanks for you input, I've read the policy (not sure if it's different in the UK) it clearly states unforseen circumstances outside of your control could be subject to refund.

I guess my biggest gripe is the fact the host couldn't be bothered to respond to me or acknowledge my message to her, and Airbnb telling me I was up to her without investigating 

@Denise1375  I can understand feeling miffed when a host won't even respond, if only to say "I'm sorry you couldn't make it. But I can't refund just because a guest encounters transportation issues, sorry."

But I think hosts sometimes just get fed up with having guests try to get them to refund, and prefer not to engage. Pretty much all guests want to be refunded for any reason if they cancel. Everyone thinks their reason should qualify. 

The part of the EC policy that could possibly pertain to your reason for cancelling isn't in the "unforeseen circumstances beyond your control", but lower down where it lists what isn't covered:

"and transportation disruptions unrelated to a covered Event like road closures, as well as flight, train, bus and ferry cancellations. "