Concerns over Instant Booking

Concerns over Instant Booking

I am deeply concerned about AIRBNB's "INSTANT BOOKING" option.  As a new host using AIRBNB I was shocked to come home from work and find an uninvited guest in my home.  I am equally shocked to find AIRBNB provided him with my address even though the reservation had been cancelled within minutes. The individual entered my home without permission in my absence.  It happened my front door was unlocked when he arrived.  I had made arrangements with my son the previous night to come in a pick something up and therefore my door left unlocked for that purpose.  Although "INSTANT BOOKING" is extremely risky it is promoted by AIRBNB.  Addresses are provided as soon as AIRBNB receives payment.  This should not be an option. AIRBNB policy should be to require sufficient time to screen potential guests.  AIRBNB "verified" the individual's phone number? When the rep tried to call him to let him know he was in violation of their policies the phone number he listed on his account was not a working number.  I informed her the only way she would be able to contact him is if I handed her my phone because he didnt have one! His mother was to have paid for his reservation with a credit card.  He had no phone and  although my place is located in a rural area he had no transportation.  His story was he was selling a house and needed a place to stay while he was waiting for it to close.  and his mother lives in the same city he claimed to have the pending sale of his house yet his dad dropped him off at my home 20 miles away.  The story just wasnt adding up! 

He entered my home approximately 2 1/2 hours prior to my discovering him.  I was shocked when I opened the door and discovered this half dressed male laying in the bed.  When he raised his head to answer me he had one of my towels wrapped around his head. He helped himself to my kitchen and food, took a shower and moved into my guest room.  He had removed items from the shelves and replaced them with his belongings, the window to the room open and curtains closed and a boom box plugged in and placed on the top of the bed.  Upon arriving home I found the door to my guest room closed.  After he left I found the damp towel on the bed, on top of the brand new memory foam mattress topper I just placed on the bed the week before. 

***[Post Title Updated]

58 Replies 58
Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Turn off Instant Booking.

He's gone, right?  You should have received a message from ABB saying you had a confirmed reservation.

If you're going to host, never leave your door unlocked.  No telling who may come back for whatever reason (to get something they forgot, etc.).

Give your son his own key and turn off Instant Booking right away.

The point of IB is that there is no "discussion or vetting" between you and the guest.  You can also go and check off the box that requires ABB get Government ID but that is only available if you opt for Instant Booking.

Airbnb did send a confirmation for the cancellation. The problem is as soon as the potential guest payment goes through they are given and address.  That is the dangerous part of this instant booking.  Someone with ill intent could conceivably book a room, decide to cancel but they now have an address. 

Yes @Kelly177, I completely agree, that is worrisome! They get our addresses when they book - if we use Instant Book or not. We have to make sure we have our places securely locked - with key access or lock box information only given out close to the arrival date. - Karen

People having my address doesn't concern me.

You can go online and get town records showing my name, where I live, what I paid for my house, the floor plan, how much I owe, and on it goes.

A phone book is filled with addresses.

The troubling thing is leaving doors unlocked when no one's home.

I dont know about your county records but our county records do not provide photos and personal information about rooms available for rent or the actual occupants.  Our county records provide specifics as to the property and the owners. 

I wouldnt imagine opportunist would scour country records looking for an opportunity to carry out an assault.  

As for leaving my doors locked or unlocked, that is a personal decision based on the information a home owner has in their community and whatever they may have going on at the time.  I have been in the same place for years, having my door unlocked has never been a safety concern and is certainly not the issue at hand here.  Perhaps in your community it is not something you are comfortable with. My safety was compromised due to the way airbnb operates not because I left my door unlocked.  

Except that by leaving your door unlocked, @Kelly177, the guy got inside.

@Kelly177    I agree there should be a time lag of 24 hours before the private contact information and address is sent to the guest. There have been quite a few media articles about opportunist guests who after receiving address, lock box number for keys  etc., then cancel the reservation and clean the home out within hours or worse!

If there was a 24 hour lag the bad guys would just wait and do the same.

David

@David126   What I mean is the address and contact info is not sent until after the 24 hours has elapsed, this gives the host time to cancel the booking without the guest getting any information that could be used in a negative manner.  This current system gives the host no time, the instant the room is IB'd the guest receives the hosts address.

If the reservation is the same day or within  24 hours the guest can click a button (or even use an across the board default setting for all  if they don't care about this )  saying - "Yes, send my address and contact information".   Not hard to do and it adds a level of scurity that is missing from IB.

I know I do not have to have IB,  but the way this site is set up the choice is between security and bookings.

No IB = more security and less bookings

IB = more bookings  and less security

There is no reason why a host should not be able to have an equally good measure of both.

Su13
Level 1
Hull, United Kingdom

I don't like Instant Book - I just find it inconvenient. I didn't realise the address is released immediately. I'm definitely never turning on instant book.

@Su13  Your address is given right away regardless of Instant Book.  As soon as you accept a reservation, your address is given.

Right, but what she's saying is that she would have been aware of the address having been released had it not been through IB.  

This conversation is making me think that I will NEVER turn on IB. 

How do I turn off instant bookings?

My guest wanted to cancell a booking and Airbnb said that there was a $600 cancellation fee.

My guest was quoted my fees in AUD however they were charged in American dollars. 

I cancelled from my side so now I am going to be charged $100.00 not right.

Can anyone help me as I find it impossible to get help.

how do you switch off instant booking?