Condo Board wants to ban Airbnb because it is a business?(Montreal Quebec)

Stevie-and-Caro0
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Condo Board wants to ban Airbnb because it is a business?(Montreal Quebec)

Hello,

I recently got a letter that stated Airbnb rentals are banned in the building because it is illegal to operate a buisness in your condo. I want to argue that renting out a private room in my home is not a buisness. and therefor this "rule" does not apply to me.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Stevie-and-Caro0 Most people with HOA’s have this problem. And the majority of the time are unsuccessful in swaying the board’s mind. 

My question is this even valid?

For example if i would get fined would I then have a case not to pay? the Quebec goverenemt seems to be on my side stating that AirBnB (in the case of a single room rental) is not a buisness.

Thanks,

@Stevie-and-Caro0  That is odd....that the Quebec government doesn't consider renting out a room in your home as a business. I have heard of hosts that have received fines because somebody reported them and they did not bother to get the "classification" from CITQ (The Quebec Tourism Office). In order to host anyone for money, you have to have the proper liability insurance, permission from your municipality and permission from your landlord if you do not own the listing. You are then subject to inspections from a representative of the CITQ and also an agent from your insurance company.

The law exempts people that host on an occasional basis. Which is what My rental is. A few days a month to help pay for cat food and internet. 

@Stevie-and-Caro0  Just out of curiousity, are you allowed to provide them with breakfast? When the CITQ inspector walked into the kitchen of my listing he shook his head at the salt and pepper shakers. Sealed packets only! Otherwise I need a food license and would have to pay the GST and PST on that.

Benny22
Level 2
Vaughan, Canada

Hi everybody,

I was looking for a case like yours, on the AIRBNB forum, because I'm probably in the same situation and really do not know what to do.

I have a condo in my possession north of Toronto (Thornhill), and I live in it, for now. About a month ago, I decided to rent the spare bedroom and bathroom in the apartment in Airbnb. 

Today, the manager of the building called me and said that she had heard that I was hosting people by Airbnb. It's probably my tenant, who innocently told about it to the concierge at the entrance.

The principal told me that according to the rules of the building, it is impossible to rent the apartments for a period of less than a year. When I tried to argue with her, she continued to insist and also hinted that if I wouldn't stop it, she would act through the building's legal lawyers.

Do you know what you can do?

Sincerely

BY