Confirmed booking - host won't give me the address.

Answered!
Kelly505
Level 2
Hamilton, Bermuda

Confirmed booking - host won't give me the address.

Hi,  I have a confirmed booking for a 5 night stay.  I have asked the hostfor the address of the apartment, but she said she doesn't like to give out the address before check in.  I've replied and said that I need the address, and they have stopped responding to my emails, which makes me think she is hiding something? 

The place we are staying is a busy holiday destination and there are very few places still available and all very expensive at this late stage, so if I cancel and rebook somewhere else it is going to be at quite an expense and inconvenience, but I've stayed in a lot of different airbnbs and always had the host give me the address as soon as the booking is confirmed.

Is this against airbnb policy? I don't want to open up an issue with the help resolution centre yet since I don't want the host to get notified about it.

Thanks,

1 Best Answer
Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi Kelly

Don't you see the full address once you complete the booking? I always see the full address once I commplete payment..

Did you pay via airbnb?

Thansk

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi Kelly

Don't you see the full address once you complete the booking? I always see the full address once I commplete payment..

Did you pay via airbnb?

Thansk

Oh you're right - it is there in the 'trips' section.  Normally when I make a booking the host sends a message with the address details as well as directions on how to get there so I guess I never have to look for it.

So now I'm really confused about why she specifically said she didn't want to give out the address.    Anyway from what I can see the location is where I expected it to be so it should be fine, and if it's not where it's supposed to be I can take it up with airbnb I supposed!  Phew! I didn't want to have to book a new place.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

Look closely at your Customer Receipt sent to you right after making your reservation the address should be on it.  From a trip I just took:

Customer Receipt
Confirmation Code: HMXXXXXXXX
Fri, XXXX  XX, 2018
Receipt # XXXXXXXXXX
2018-XX-XX 23:12:47 +0000

GuestsXXXXXXX, and 5 others
Travel DestinationCity,  State
Accommodation AddressAddress, City, State Zipcode United States

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

How far away is the trip date, and why do you need the address now?  Some hosts are wary of giving out addresses to people who may not be genuine guests for security reasons.  On the other hand, this could be a bait and switch scenario.  Do the previous reviews give any hint of that?  Does the host have more than 1 property?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Kelly505 the host should know that you can see the adress after you complete the booking. Maybe he finds it weird that you ask since the adress is shared immediately after booking. You can ask for check in details as the vacation approaches, for now just communicate and verify that everything is ok with the resrvation.

Actually @Ana1136, I didn't ask for the address immediatley after booking, he mentioned that he didn't give out the address in response to a different question.  As I said previously, I have stayed in a lot of different Airbnbs, and the host always sent an email with directions after the booking was confirmed.

Even if I did ask for the address, there is nothing wierd about confirming addresses, directions, etc with the host immediatley after booking.  An Airbnb isn't a hotel so it's important to know a little bit about where you will be staying before you go.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

I understand that @Kelly505 but there are lot of hosts who have had bad experiences like robberies and are a bit more hesitant about giving such details long before the guest is due to arrive. Both you and the host should know that the adress is immediately shared after finishing your booking. I have stayed in a few Airbnb places and the hosts never sent me check in detais upon reservation. Instead they send them to me the day before coming and also as a host I always send my guests the details day before coming or if they require them sooner i will for sure tell them that i will meet them upon arrival but if I had a door code or other way for them to do self check in I might be hesitant about giving the information too soon also.

@Ana1136 you are making a lot of assumptions about my situation.  I was due to arrive in a week, which certainly doesn't count as 'long before the guest is due to arrive'.  Also I think you are confusing check in details with address details - all I was asking for was the address, not key codes etc.  Obviously I wouldn't expect that.

Just because you haven't recieved a message with the apartment details upon confirmation of a booking doesn't invalidate the fact that every apartment I have previously booked has done this, and I was right to be concerned in this instance. Anyway I think we can agree that we have both had very different experiences with Airbnb so far.   

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Kelly505 I am making assumptions since you didn't give the details you just generaly described the problem. A week isn't long and had I known that my oppinion would be different. Since you get the full adress and even marked on a map after booking i thought you needed details how to get in. And I am not saying in any way that my way is the right way, I am just saying that there are a lot of diferent hosts with diferent preferences on the check in proces and by not knowing the full details we can not form an opinion if something is wrong or not. I was just trying to point out that there are a lot of ways of doing things and it all gets down to comunicating with the host. If the host isn't responding try their phone number and than contact Airbnb. And exactly the different experiences is what makes this forum helpful, there is always place for improvement 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

hi @Ana1136

I can't agree with your comments.

Everyone has different experiences when booking. Mine is that the addresss is always on my booking confirmation, I have never had to ask for an address.

They get the self check in details 48 hours before arrival.

@Kelly505 I agree something odd with the host not giving out the address. Ask Airbnb to check if you are concerned.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

Hi @Helen3, If you read my comments you will see that what you are saying is exactly what I said. The adress is always there provided by Airbnb after a confirmed reservation whether the host likes it or not and that is why guests never have to ask for an adress only for check in details. And I also said that I give check in details before arrival. I mean, it is exactly the same 🙂 And since the adress is always given I thought Kelly needed check in information and that is why I said to her that some hosts dont give it a lot of time beffore the arrival just like me and as you stated you sice you give it 48 hours before arrival.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I switch bacn and for, send it when they book and by the time they stay some seemed to have completely forgotten what I sent, but then send it a day or so before and some do not see it.

David

@Kelly505

I never give out my address for the simple reason that confirmed guests should already have it in the itinerary. (Imo asking whether the address is correct is a different matter altogether and this I would be willing to answer.)

I do provide directions and details on how to find our home separately about 1 week prior to check in since I have a strict policy. I usually include a jpg file with my address in Korean for the guest to show the taxi driver. (And tell the guest to download the image.)

Nandiya0
Level 1
Media, PA

Hello, I know this is an old thread however -- this just happened with me. I have checked the receipt, the address is not there. I contacted the Host and he indicated that the address would be given at 9am on the day of the first night's stay for "security reasons." This creates difficulty for me as currently I walk with a cane and need to make transportation plans and reservations for entire weekend; and this needs to happen now, not at 9am on day of stay (I will be traveling then -- to where, I don't know!). Have never experienced this anywhere in the world where I've airbnb'd. Explained my situation to Host and he is completely inflexible. Isn't this Airbnb policy? It gives me a very bad feeling. Any advice? Thanks.