Confused about guests' reviews

Daniel137
Level 1
Asheville, NC

Confused about guests' reviews

So I've been a superhost for the past 2 periods (started hosting 2.5 periods ago) and am about to lose that status due to not maintaining 80% 5 star reviews. 

I have instant book on, and my theory is this: the new to airbnb guests don't understand a 4 star review is kind-of a slap in the face.

Because... I have an alert now saying my last 2 reviews were less than 5 stars. Last guest gave a stellar worded review, and in private feedback under what I could improve he said 'nothing'.

Under all of the individual categories, I've received 5 stars in each category for the last 10 reviews. So this means peope are leaving 5 stars in all the categories and then 4 stars overall.

I don't get it. Any suggestions? 

Thanks

Daniel 

4 Replies 4
Garland0
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Hi Daniel,

I have the same experience about guests who write great words, but give 4 stars in the overall experience.

I think the way the question is worded, "How was your Overall Experience?", it leaves open to interpretation to rate things other than ones that are in your control.  For example, I had a guest who I hosted in a private room who conversed with me quite frequently, and she said her daughter just had a mis-carriage.  At that point I felt if she were to ever review me, I would definitely not get 5 stars.  That prediction became true and I was rated 4 stars.

My solution is to create a poster that says "5 star reviews greatly help me" and if there was something I could do to earn 5 stars to let me know.  I know other people have posters that say something to the effect of "4 stars = 1 star".  I think this would go a long way to help drive up your ratings.

I think some guests just never give 5 stars as a matter of principle!  Remember at school, that teacher who never gave anyone a 100% in a test? (unless math) when I first  became an Airbnb guest and had to my first accommodation experience I found it such good value and host so kind, I thought I have to give 5 stars even though I'm sure I could always find an even better place, more amenities, bigger bed etc etc.  I'm so glad I did because now as a host I understand what how important it is to keep your Superhost rating. As a host I can accept advice for improvements in the private message but hate getting less than 5 stars for cleaniless as I know I scrub that place from top to bottom and my linen is always super fresh!   

You are right though some new Airbnb guests are quite critical and they think they are reviewing a hotel! 

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Hey @Daniel137

I'd suggest Airbnb would not want be seen as influencing reviews, hence why we're stuck with this reality.

Engage new Guests, talk to them and explain reviews have a big impact... then hope they follow through with your polite advice.

There is a clear and relatively 'normal' gap between expectations and follow up behavior. Uber (and similar reputation based platforms) suffer similar problems.  

Cheers,

Paul

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I completely agree.  Guests don't understand exactly what the stars mean, guests don't understand that a '4' is a fail in Airbnb's eyes and Airbnb don't understand that some guests will never give 5 stars, no matter what; or if they do, they choose to ignore this inconvenient truth.

It pisses me off mightily when, as happened to me recently, a glowing review that waxes lyrical over every aspect of the guest's stay is accompanied by 4 stars in every category right across the board.

I think Airbnb needs to be proactive in three key areas.  Firstly, they need to educate guests that 5 stars is expected unless there is an underdelivery of the offering.  

Secondly, they need to make sure all guests are on the same page as to what the individual stars are actually measuring, eg. what does 'Arrival' even mean?  

Thirdly, when a guest gives less than 5 stars, the guest must be asked to explain why.  

The only aspect of the stay that is subjective is 'Overall Experience', the rest is objectively verifiable and therefore guests should be asked to explain in what way the listing deviated from the offering in terms of Location, Accuracy, Value, Communication and Arrival.

I explain every aspect of my listing in mind-numbing detail, include dozens of photos and even include a floorplan that is accurate down to the placement of lamps and vases.  There is no way a reasonable person should give me less than 5 for the 'Accuracy' metric, yet they do and can and it goes unchallenged.  

I had one guest who famously began his review with the words ...."The most important thing for me to note is that this is not your typical "entire home/apt" listing. This is clearly described in the description, but I did not read it so I was surprised when I arrived." And yep, gave me 3 stars in Accuracy.    

It's just so wrong to let this stupidity go unchallenged.