Confused about minimum age of guest

Answered!
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

Confused about minimum age of guest

So, I am hoping someone can help me out here as I cannot find the definitive answer on Airbnb’s site anywhere!  

Back story, we had a recent guest who requested to book for herself and four girl friends to stay for three nights in order to catch up and have a ‘mini staycation’ She let me know she was local but implied her friends were not… and of course you cannot see a photo until the booking is confirmed.  She has had an Airbnb account since 2019 but no reviews.  I accepted the booking as we all have to start somewhere and assumed that at the minimum she would be 25 years old as I understood that Airbnb blocked entire homes for guests under that age unless they had three good reviews.

Fast forward to the day after checkout.  Housekeeper arrives to find the house in absolute disarray, with the remains of birthday decorations still up, rubbish bins overflowing, unwashed crockery, evidence that more than five stayed, spare linens all used, spillages etc etc. And just about every house rule we have broken.   It was truly horrible.  Fortunately or unfortunately, our neighbours are not close so there were no noise complaints and other than a very loose kitchen tap, no damage.

We do not have cameras outside as I don’t like to intrude on our guests privacy in any way and to date we have never had an issue.. although I am now going to rethink this one.  However, because I try to respect my guests privacy I don’t ask too many questions or attempt to look them up on social media.  My 18 year old neighbours son being a typical nosey teenager does not have such scruples and has now told me (and sent me evidence) that this guest was actually celebrating her 19th Birthday on the Saturday and is also a ‘Housekeeper’ at well known business about 10 miles away.

I want to know if it is allowed to open an account if under the age of 18 and if not then how Airbnb allowed this ‘guest’ to open up a verified account in 2019 when she would have only been 16-17 years old max?  I would also like to know how Airbnb allowed a guest 18 years old at the time of booking, to book an entire home Airbnb herself without three previous reviews?  My requirements are verified government ID to book.

I honestly though Airbnb had our ‘backs’ to avoid this sort of thing but I obviously thought wrong.  If anyone could provide me with a link to the relevant Airbnb policy on this I would be very grateful.

1 Best Answer

@Kate867   I don't know how current this article is, as the Help Center is more vague. But the restriction against Entire Home bookings from 18-24 only kicks in if the system recognizes the user's location as "local" and the automated ID verification has correctly registered the guest's date of birth. This leaves room for a lot of malfunctions; the verification in particular is a joke, because you can set up a profile with no face photo and a fake name like Vampire Bill and still get the Verified ID badge by scanning some random ID card in. (Yes, CC members have tested it).

I wouldn't presume that any of the automated functionalities can be relied on to do what the official policies claim they do.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8

@Kate867   I don't know how current this article is, as the Help Center is more vague. But the restriction against Entire Home bookings from 18-24 only kicks in if the system recognizes the user's location as "local" and the automated ID verification has correctly registered the guest's date of birth. This leaves room for a lot of malfunctions; the verification in particular is a joke, because you can set up a profile with no face photo and a fake name like Vampire Bill and still get the Verified ID badge by scanning some random ID card in. (Yes, CC members have tested it).

I wouldn't presume that any of the automated functionalities can be relied on to do what the official policies claim they do.

Kate867
Level 10

@Anonymous   Many thanks for your response, I had found that article too but as it was not an actual ‘Airbnb’ article I was not sure, and as you have pointed out, anything official seems vague.  I would love to know what Airbnb’s definition of ‘Local’ is, this guest has her residence in a village about 5 miles away.  I would know as she was thoughtful enough to bring her addressed birthday cards with her and leave the envelopes scattered all over the place 🙄

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kate867  I think they can't book but they can send a request to book and if you accept then that's it.

For example I have no infant/no kids policy but still getting requests from families with kids

Kate867
Level 10

@Branka-and-Silvia0   Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately the only information I get with a request to book is name and identification status.  Until you have accepted the booking you don’t even get a photo so have to rely on the guests honesty in their message.   I really do think this system is ‘broken’ as I also had someone instant book earlier this year and ‘tell’ me they were bringing an infant and what equipment they would need.  We are not infant friendly either and it is clear in our listing.  I have heard that some hosts get an ‘Airbnb warning’ with some requests telling them to be careful with that particularly enquiry .. but I had nothing at all even though the guest was both underage and local.

Andrea-and-Glenn0
Level 10
Mill Bay, Canada

@Kate867  Just another compelling reason why we do not take guests with no reviews. 

We couldn’t be more “uncomfortable” with new accounts, no reviews, incomplete profiles and we are not shy to advise AirBnb each time we decline those guests with no reviews, incomplete profiles, incomplete inquiry, just how uncomfortable we are to have unscreeened persons with no resume (at least 1 review) to show to their credit. 

So, for us, that group would have been an easy no but I would wish them success in their search for alternate accommodations.

G&A

@Kate867 I recently posted a question about this very issue, a very helpful responder tagged my post “age discrimination “ ,  advise was essentially that it was good I was onsite, to “drop my negative stereotypes “ and distrust Airbnbs ID verification? If I’m correct they advise I collect ID from all my guest, and my guests guests…, 

Kate867
Level 10

@Andrea-and-Glenn0  Thank you for your reply.  To be fair we have mostly been quite fortunate to date and I do accept that we all have to start somewhere.  My problem here was not only trusting them, but also trusting Airbnb.  So, moving forward we will no longer be accepting guests without at least one positive review.  I did review the guest, managed to keep it short and factual, then left private feedback.. and I do indeed think she will find it difficult to find another Host to accept her under that profile.  The funny thing is, she left us a five star review and let us know privately that she was looking forward to staying again sometime 😳.

Andrea-and-Glenn0
Level 10
Mill Bay, Canada

@Kate867 Other hosts (like me) Thank you for your honest review of problematic guests. 

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery” a great saying from Scottish comedian Kevin Bridges.