Confusion About Number of Rooms Booked with Host

Emily791
Level 2
Raleigh, NC

Confusion About Number of Rooms Booked with Host

I booked a stay that was listed as a 3 bedroom 3 bathrrom listing.  My party has 5 guests- 2 couples and one single.  I booked the listing for 5 guests, and I stated that we have a party of 5 in my request to book.  After I booked, the host messaged me and asked how many rooms I needed.  I stated that we needed all 3 rooms.   The host then stated that she would send me offers for the other two rooms.  I stated that I didn't understand, as I'd already booked based on the listing which described that it was the guest house with 3 bedrooms, and I had already booked with a price based on 5 guests.  Then she told me that I had only booked one room, but she could give a "special offer outside of the normal airbnb price".  I feel like the host is midleading users about what they're actually booking.  Is this allowed?

16 Replies 16
Monique241
Level 3
George Town, Malaysia

Mind sharing the link of the listing?

**[Link removed - Community Center Guidelines

It appears to be 3 rooms, though no mention of entire house, and the rate adjusted according to number of person. I will talk to the host again about the misleading description, call Airbnb for help or just withdraw the booking (assuming there is a penalty free 48 hours grace period).

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Emily791  No. This is not allowed. If you post a link to the listing as suggested by @Monique241 , we could help you confirm if you are confused or the host has written an inaccurate listing. If her listing description is inaccurate, AirBNB will be happy to help you.

I emailed Airbnb, but I didn't get a response.  I cancelled the listing because we didn't want to lose the ability to be refunded after 48 hours.  After we cancelled,  we received an email stating that we would get $0 refunded even though we cancelled within the timeframe to receive a full refund.  I just called Airbnb, who verified we would get a refund despite what the email said.  I asked about the number of rooms and airbnb said that we had booked the 3 bedrooms correctly,  and she had listed it incorrectly.  They said they were going to reach out to her to correct the listing. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Emily791 

This is a confusing listing and I personally would have set it up differently but it does say in the listing that special pricing is available if you would like to reserve the full 3 bedroom house.

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 1.11.45 PM.png

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Emily791   I agree with @Emilia42  that it is stated in the description that there is an additional charge for more than one room.  I also agree that I would probably word the description differently.  Apparently this host does not have multiple listings for the space since she has multiple rate structures depending on the number of rooms.  That is what most hosts do in order to avoid this confusion.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Linda108

Linda,

re:  'this host does not have multiple listings for the space since she has multiple rate structures depending on the number of rooms.  That is what most hosts do in order to avoid this confusion.

I agree with your analysis of this host  using 'multiple rate structures'. 

But I am confused by your qualification,  'most hosts do in order to avoid this confusion'?

Though I'm not familiar with the official designation of this listing, 'Cottage on the Farm'. 

I am only aware that it's possible to list rooms individually as noted in HELP.

How do I list multiple rooms?

If you want to list multiple rooms in your house, you can create a separate listing for each space you have available. Each room will have its own calendar and listing page that should accurately reflect the number of beds and amenities, as well as what space will be shared with others.

I do not know the intention of this host, but one aspect of multiple listings with multiple calendars is that there could be multiple parties sharing the space.  If the intention of the host is to only book with a single party but allow for flexibility of size, then the rate structure could be a nightly rate for a single room and an additional rate for the use of the other rooms depending on the number needed.  This would mean that the guest party would only share the shared space with members of the same party.

On a smaller scale, I have a private room with a secondary room optional at additional cost.  I use the extra guest fee for parties of 3 or 4, while a party of two using the primary room will be covered under the published nightly rate.  Should a party of two wish to use both rooms, I then have a room charge for that option.

Hi, just wondering how you go about setting up a “room charge” in the above scenario?

cheers Kerryn

@Alon1     "How do I list multiple rooms?"

This has long been a problem because when listed separately they do not appear in a search for 5 people, the rooms would only appear in a search for 2 people. I suppose one could have 3 separate listings and then a further one for all the rooms. Not sure how, or if, that works on Airbnb  in terms of dates being blocked off automatically for reservations of 5 when one of the rooms has been reserved for 2.

However, the bargain basement price for 5 would have alerted me if I had not read the full description where the terms and offerings are stated.  I would have written to the hosts to clarify because the price barely seems enough to cover cleaning, laundry, breakfast and all the other amenities and cost associated with hosting 5 people.

I think that this listing is sitting very close to the bait & switch territory. What we offer is distilled for easy understanding using the first line of the page:

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 4.11.41 PM.png

Reinforced by:

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 4.12.41 PM.png

Plus I see nothing under "You must acknowledge" section.

I think that this listing is misleading.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Emily791 

So the host assumes all 5 guests will stay in one bedroom, one  bed ?

This host has no other option then provide you the bedrooms you need.

An booking for 5 guests is a booking for 5 guests, despite the confusing story inside the listing  mentioned  under section "the space".