Converting Views into Bookings

Mara1118
Level 2
Rochester, NY

Converting Views into Bookings

Hi everyone! I am totally new at this (I just posted my apt 10 days ago or so) and maybe I’m getting ahead of myself but I am wondering what’s the best way to convert views (about 210 so far) into more bookings (about 5). 

I am having professional photos taken next week to replace my iPhone shots and I think I’ve done a decent job at describing the place and filling all info. 

Is there anything else I should be doing? What should my average Views/Bookings ratio be?

5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

What a georgeous, memorable building!  Your pictures are not too bad.  I would add captions to the pictures to help the guest understand the space.  Did you have a picture of the bed in the common space?  I don't recall.  You don't have reviews so your goal is to get as many reviews as possible.  Check out the pricing of competitors and list about 10% lower. 

Also, you are listing in the winter, so you might want to have seasonal pictures as well.  Are you aware of what are the high seasons in your area?  Why do people come to your area?  Think about you who are marketing to and tweak your listing description.  I live in an area in which most guests are here for the winter/sprng season due to great weather in the desert and a number of special events, musical and sporting.  Good luck!!

Thank you! 

I did add captions but if you couldn’t see them I should check to make sure it was in the proper spot for them to be published. 

I don’t have a picture of the sleeper all made up as a bed, but that is a great suggestion actually. 

It’s a good suggestion to add some keywords about what people go there to do. I think the crowd comes mainly for university events and winter probably isn’t the high season with the cold weather so there’s that. 

Thanks for the great tips! I’ll get to work on the missing pictures and descriptions! 

@Mara1118   "What should my average Views/Bookings ratio be?"

There isn't a formula for this that would make any sense, especially considering that the range of available dates is the most consequential axis. Even if the numbers were real (Ron Howard voice: they're not), you could be fully booked at 1000:1 and nearly empty at 5:1.  You'll get requests on days where your chart says you have zero views. Also, the "number of views" stats convey no relevant information - such as how the views were generated, and how many of the viewers ultimately made other bookings. You might some alerts saying something like "2 people viewed your listing  but chose a listing for $10 per night less" to manipulate you into lowering your price. These are make-believe. 

Pro tip: Airbnb is extremely guarded about its actual statistics, and the odds that they will display viewer stats that are actual facts and not unsubstantiated, souped-up numbers are pretty close to 0%. @Linda108 has some great tips, but in addition to that you probably need at least a full year's arc to see how seasonality and supply drive your occupancy rate. Your local tourism bureau is an underrated resource; they are far more generous with info on seasonal visitor numbers and hotel occupancy rates than Airbnb is.

Mara1118
Level 2
Rochester, NY

Thanks for the comments. I know at some point one has to simply not obsess over it ajajaja I will tweak the listing as I can and hopefully as the reviews come in I’ll also be a little higher up in the search which will help. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

When we listed our place back in June we typically got bookings only a week or two ahead of the stay. As we have been up and running 6 months or so we are seeing some bookings further out. 

My advice is chill and hope - just keep an eye on competitor rates and ignore ABB price suggestions which will make you no money - They keep saying we should charge £40 per night for a 3 bedroom apartment - I truly believe people will book at our higher price (60 ish) if they are available to come and lowering the price as suggested would just reduce our income as we seem competitive in the area.