Copy of my passport or ID needed by host?

Erica30
Level 1
Oviedo, FL

Copy of my passport or ID needed by host?

My host recently sent me some check in information and stated that it is spanish laws force him to have a copy of my identity card or passport of all of their guests.  Is that true?  Also he is requiring a tourist tax and VAT that must be paid in upon arrival of .72 per person per night.  I am trying to verify that this information is correct.  With all the identity theft, especially I am hesitent to provide someone a copy of my ID or passport. Please advise. Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Well individual hosts can determine supporting ID if they so wish. They can request to view this on arrival as well, although this would normally need to be specified in listing description/ house rules.

Re cash, no do not pay anything extra to the guest. All payments must be transparent and disclosed in the listing description, and made via the Airbnb platform. It is a breach of Airbnb policy to exchange payment off their platform. If this was clearly stated in the description, then the host will have to charge for this via the resolution centre.

See policy on extra payments - https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/251/what-if-a-host-asks-for-more-money

Ama

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Erica30,

This is law and is true in many countries like Spain and Italy and many other European Countries.

Also, the host can charge you cash for tax if it is clearly listed in the host's listing.

@Amaris0 is not exactly correct in this situation as for taxes they do not need to collect via the resolution center.  In all other cases, they would need to.

Airbnb states there are only three reasons why a host can ask for additional money:

You may owe more money if:

- You change your reservation — for example, you need to add another guest

- Your host makes a claim on your security deposit

- Your host require taxes to be paid at check-in—this needs to be clearly stated on the listing prior to booking

Here is more information on collecting tax: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/481/how-do-taxes-work-for-hosts

David

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Two days ago, I was shut off from communicating with upcoming guests as well as having the ability to rate a recent guest.  It seems AirBnB now requires an ID on my profile to host??  I find this concerning, as they already have A LOT of identification and putting a picture ID with a SS# on the site is not  something I am comfortable with.  All data can be accessed regardless of security measures and that is a risk I am not willing to take.

What was concerning is the lack of notification prior to locking me out of my profile.  The day I got the email requesting ID was the day my profile was locked.  I could see my upcoming guests reaching out with questions but I can't even reply to them.  They were asking about the ability to cancel due to Covid and my flexibility.  It has been three days, and I can't respond to them.  

In the past, customer service has been great and very cordial.  My recent experience suggests they have outsourced the customer service as they have not been very helpful nor have they been very friendly.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Rob