Coronavirus - Japan 2020 Olympics

Mike2055
Level 1
Centerville, OH

Coronavirus - Japan 2020 Olympics

My family and I scheduled a trip in June 2019 to the Japan 2020 Olympics.  As you know, the Olympics have been postponed to 2021.  We are looking at options to cancel.  Even though our cancellation policy is "full refund, minus the service fee",  (if we cancel) we will still be charged more than $1000 for the service fee (even though the Olympics has been moved).

I realize that the "extenuating circumstances" clause has not been updated to include people travelling for the Olympics, but I hope AirBnB will consider including the Olympics to this clause.

7 Replies 7

@Mike2055   Airbnb has extended the eligibility window for Covid-19 related "extenuating circumstances" to bookings beginning up to  May 31, and it's entirely possible that they will extend it further. So if you wait awhile, you might get off the hook here.

However, it has never been the case that cancellation of an event was considered in itself an "extenuating circumstance." If it's possible for you to travel to Japan and for the host to fulfill your booking (and that's a big "if"), the regular terms of your contract apply, unless the host explicitly guaranteed access to the Olympic games as a part of your agreement.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mike2055  You could also ask the host if he/she would just give you credit for the reservation, to be used when the Olympics do go ahead.

Agreed Sarah!  Most of us will (most likely) re-book; however, we want to keep our options open.  We have 14 of us going spread across two houses.  The one family re-booked; however, depending on who is committed on going, will depend on if we need to book the second house.

Thanks Andrew for your response.  I hope that AirBnB extends the "extenuating circumstances" to include the Olympics.  I also agree that the contract wouldn't include (based on an event occurring or not occurring); however, a world wide pandemic which has shut down entire countries is a bigger issue.  All sports stopped indefinitely, stay at home orders, etc.  I would think that would include Olympic refunds.

Last question / clarification.  If the "service fee" 100% an AirBnB charge (i.e. this has nothing to do with the host family, right)?  Does anyone know how the "service fee" is calculated?  Flat Fee, based on % of total cost, something else?  When our rental said "Full Refund, minus service fees", i figured the service fee would be a couple hundred dollars, not more than $1000 dollars.  When you book, is the actual "service fee" amount available to view?

@Mike2055 

The service fee in the UK for guests is typically 15% of the hosts nightly fee plus cleaning fee. This was broken out when you booked (or again it is when I book a place in the UK so I suspect you can find it somewhere on your reservation.

@Mike2055  I think it would be a really good idea to get in touch with Airbnb, if you can get through, before you do anything.  They have been refunding or crediting their service fees for reservations which fall under the E/C policy.  I can't imagine the cancellation of the Olympics would not fall under this category but it may not have been addressed yet. 

Thanks for the help.  I have been in contact with them and airbnb said that they cannot refund the service charge until the E/C has been extended for the Olympics.  I agree that the Olympics "should" be covered, but time will tell.

Thanks for the great feedback!

@Mike2055  The service fee has nothing to do with the host, correct. Any issues with the service fee should be directed to Airbnb. And no, hosts don't know how the service fee is calculated, I doubt anyone does- Airbnb seems to keep that info a closely guarded secret. It can range anywhere from 11%-over 20%. As others have said, you will see a breakdown of the various charges on your resevation.