Coronavirus crisis and solidarity

Marta1080
Level 2
England, GB

Coronavirus crisis and solidarity

Dear fellow hosts, I'd like to share with you my experience on the subject, as a 'guest to be' and host of the community as well.

I was in Spain were the coronavirus crisis burst unexpectedly and unstoppable last week and was about to travel to Brazil to stay in a fellow host house.

It was absolutely impossible for me to make it to my destination due to the restrictions on movement applied from the government. I reviewed latests Airbnb policies in the matter, and although I was entitled to a full refund I was overwhelmed by the possible 'bureaucracy' (how to justify I wasn't able to travel when I could not even communicate with the airline to see the state of my flight!!) ALL the systems in Spain collapsed in one day (and remain...).

I explained the situation to my future host and he was so, so, so kind to cancel the booking from his end, which was simple and straightforward. That was a HUGE relieve from me as we are here absolutely overwhelmed by the situation and the amount of unexpected things I need to take care of due to the restrictions. 

I am profoundly grateful to Douglas (my host in Saco da Ribeira) for his understanding, good will, and his solidarity in this difficult time. 

This crisis is huge, and it is more than a 'health' crisis, believe me... We will all (everyone, not only in the airbnb community) feel its effects (economical among others) for a long time. We complain now about our 'little' first cancellations, but tourism worldwide is going to be affected for some time.

It is in this times were other values as solidarity arise, which will not fill our pockets, but sure our hearts with the feeling of satisfaction that comes from helping another human being.

Now, full with gratitude, I am prepared  -as a host- to facilitate any guest in my house in any way I can, to help him/her go thought this difficult times with ease, regardless of my 'looses'...

Hope this crisis helps us all to connect with our most human side. 

Good luck and good health for everyone. 

1 Reply 1
Leonard4
Level 2
Madrid, Spain

I am a longstanding, manny years HOST (Super-) with Airbnb on 2 of my properties.

Under the current Global crisis of Coronavirus I believe Airbnb should apply a FAIR "Force Majeure" clause.
However currently you have decided to give ONLY the Guest .... my Clients ... the benefit and ALL LOSS is for the Hosts and your Commission. You're forgetting Hosts also suffer!

Under said circumstances it would be FAIR to apply some solidarity with the Host business and split the Losses between parties instead of Penalising one side only!

Suggest you implement an altered clause whereby in case of a cancellation, which does not fall into the chosen standard periods, the Force Majeure loss is SHARED between parties by refunding 50% of paid fees!

Thanks you for being fair and in solidarity with your HOSTS (your business after all!). Best wishes and hope you see through this temporary crisis as I hope we will,
Leonard **, Madrid, Spain - Tel: +**

**[Personal details hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to share any personal details publicly. You can message each other privately instead.