[Updated: March 13th] Coronavirus outbreak: Information on Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy coverage

Airbnb
Official Account

[Updated: March 13th] Coronavirus outbreak: Information on Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy coverage

Last updated: March 13th, 2020

As more information about the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak becomes available, Airbnb continues to prioritize the safety and well-being of our community of hosts, guests and employees around the world. 

As this situation evolves, we strongly urge you to review your local government’s travel guidance and health advisories and take necessary precautions to protect yourself and your guests when hosting or traveling. 

Following governmental and health authorities guidance and recommendations, Airbnb is offering impacted hosts and guests with eligible reservations the option to cancel their reservations without charges through our extenuating circumstances policy. We’ll continue to evaluate and update this policy in line with official guidance. 

Airbnb understands that you may have concerns, and we’d like to encourage impacted hosts and guests to reach out to our customer support team (https://www.airbnb.com/help/home) with questions or to get help with canceling reservations.

More details about our extenuating circumstances policy can be found here

Read the FAQs here: Answers to your hosting questions about coronavirus

306 Replies 306

@Paul6267 , @Barry297 , you could try your travel insurance? 

Hi 

I am now 6 listing in Cape town;south africa.

Ob blouberg are.

And normally the area is full of tours true b and b.

But I am not getting any booking. 

Can you please help me to found a host  that can meet me on the place and reply me to found what I am doing wrong???

Regards 

Down with the extenuating circumstances policy! This should be a paid add on for guests to choose to protect their trips, not a ticking time bomb for hosts. 

Hello Lizzi, 

Can you please help me. I have a strict cancellation policy but due to the circumstances I would like to refund my guests who want to cancel 70% of their total fee. How can I do that? 

Am also interested in refunding guests a percentage of their booking. I have one booking made after March 14th and messaged them with the extenuating circumstances portion of the extenuating circumstances. All other bookings were made earlier. I clean my own listings. I am in a risk portion of the community. I want to cancel all my bookings. I'd like to offer everyone a 50% refund. I wonder how and if this will hurt my status as a "5" host.

@Norene1  Your 5* rating has nothing to do with refunding guests. It is only based on the reviews from the guests who have stayed with you. 

As far as the Superhost status, all the cancellations from coronavirus will mean a lot of hosts , me included, won't have the minimum number of stays to retain Superhost, if not at the next assessment period of April 1, maybe by the next one or the one after. Hopefully Airbnb will waive that requirement considering the circumstances, but no one knows for sure at this point.

David887
Level 3
Woolooware, Australia

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Airbnb 

"Airbnb is offering impacted hosts and guests with eligible reservations the option to cancel their reservations without charges

It would be very helpful - and would certainly eliminate a huge amount of confusion, uncertainty and misinformation - if Airbnb could clarify and reiterate exactly what constitutes "impacted hosts and guests with eligible reservations",  as standard, in each and every update released. 

Thank you. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Susan17

Thanks for asking about this.

If you click on the final link in the update above, linking to the Extenuating Circumstances, there is quite a lot of information specifically around the Coronavirus. Hopefully that will help to provide more clarity. 

I hope this helps. 

Thank you,

LIzzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi @Lizzie, yes I saw that, but the wording reads as if it's just a link to the regular EC policy (which most hosts are already reasonably familiar with), and there's nothing to suggest that it contains additional or specific details relating to coronavirus situation, so a lot of readers probably won't even click on it. 

Just to be sure everyone sees it, the relevant information should be included in the body of each update. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Susan17

Thanks for this feedback here. I've updated the "Extenuating Circumstances" link in the topic, so both Extenuating Circumstances policy links now go to the same information. Hopefully this will make sure that any one seeing the update here, will not miss the information. 

Also, please do spread the word about this update, if you see anyone in the CC asking about it. 

Thanks again for your help with this. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, don't work too hard. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Lizzie I’m still not sure after reading all the EC info that I as a host will get my payment if a guest cancels, I can’t afford to lose this years income to cancellations due to COVID-19 so in simple terms will I still get paid from Airbnb if my guests cancel.

thank you

It doesn't because Airbnb is vague under the special review section. Canceling not based on travel bans or outbreaks is very unfair.

Su8
Level 2
Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA

I believe Airbnb management do care about our community and focus on to supporting hosts and guests  at all time. During this much challenged time, I think both fees - paid by guests and hosts - should be reduced and encourage bookings where for safe and disinfected destinations. Even if I reduce our nightly rate and use the discount promotions, guests always complain about the high fees to pay to Airbnb. 

Hi Lizzie ,

I'm sending messages to Airbnb about my terrible experience with cancellations that are about to leave me homeless but no one is responding . 

I think it's disgusting the way Airbnb treat hosts and favoured guests . We are the ones working hard to line your pockets and when in thus particular circumstance, you preach that you protect guests and hosts but it's clearly  lie !!  I'm going to find other ways to rent my place as i can see any extenuating circumstances will going to leave us always in thus position . I'm down to 2 people ...Only 2 days after that no more bookings .

What you guys think is going to happen in future ?? We are waiting for better days to come ?? Hell no !! Looking for different places to rent .

Also , it will be nice to get a response when I email you guys and it's very rude , unprofessional and quite cowardly of you for not replying ...

You guys act like pimps !! No morals , we do the job and you guys just collect the money . When was need support .....who cares ??? 

So I'm calling people to stop hosting....find different solutions as these greedy people only want our blood !!