[Updated: March 13th] Coronavirus outbreak: Information on Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy coverage

Airbnb
Official Account

[Updated: March 13th] Coronavirus outbreak: Information on Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy coverage

Last updated: March 13th, 2020

As more information about the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak becomes available, Airbnb continues to prioritize the safety and well-being of our community of hosts, guests and employees around the world. 

As this situation evolves, we strongly urge you to review your local government’s travel guidance and health advisories and take necessary precautions to protect yourself and your guests when hosting or traveling. 

Following governmental and health authorities guidance and recommendations, Airbnb is offering impacted hosts and guests with eligible reservations the option to cancel their reservations without charges through our extenuating circumstances policy. We’ll continue to evaluate and update this policy in line with official guidance. 

Airbnb understands that you may have concerns, and we’d like to encourage impacted hosts and guests to reach out to our customer support team (https://www.airbnb.com/help/home) with questions or to get help with canceling reservations.

More details about our extenuating circumstances policy can be found here

Read the FAQs here: Answers to your hosting questions about coronavirus

306 Replies 306

You can call their customer help line. They are picking up.

@PaulaCristina0 

Absolutely agree with everything you wrote! Has anyone checked if this is even legal? I would like to hear from you then, as maybe we can take this matter further, as it looks like Airbnb can decide whatever they want. I will certainly be open and do a research about other hosting sites. 

Damir0
Level 10
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

@Arnold11 @Hoe can you agree to such an outrageous response? Airbnb has to activate the worldwide extenuating circumstances policy as this crisis is a true pandemic. It’s not about you, it’s about us. It’s about the weak, sick, elderly people who need the care most and if we let everyone travel and the virus spread freely, people will die unnecessarily. Think about “flatten the curve”, this will give doctors and the healthcare system enough air to be able to provide care for the ones that really need it. That’s the idea. So, you might be impacted as a host and I am too, however, I understand where this comes from and accept reality as it is. Think global, we’re months away from this all settling down and yes, many of us will get Corona. Think 50-60% and we will build collective immunity which will protect the weak, sick and elderly people from dying. Think for a minute and you will realize the world is bigger than your hosting income. It’s about lives now.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Lizzie, Why is travel insurance offered free to guests instead of being an optional paid add on? Obviously, the downside is apparent: the current system leaves hosts holding the bag with no recourse because the travel insurance was offered free to all guests. Why is it set up this way and will it continue or is a change being made to prevent this in the future?

@Susan - Agreed.

But that's not how businesses that have no accountability to any regulatory agencies do things. 

Click on the highlighted  text 'extenuated circumstance policy'. There you will find exactly what constitutes "impacted hosts and guests with eligible reservations". 

I stayed in an Airbnb in King County Washington where there were 39 confirmed cases and 10 deaths and Airbnb let me know it did not qualify as an extenuating circumstance. 

if I can’t get a pro rated refund where I literally stayed in an area where there has been confirmed cases by the state of Washington I don’t know who can.

Ten deaths in an old age home. Not the general population. Unless you are elderly and have a comorbidity, it doesn't really have any likely impact on you.

You want a refund AFTER you stayed?

During , cut the trip short. I got the refund thank you

I cut the trip short — 

@Viola129  Are you kidding? You stayed at an Airbnb, and now you think you should get a refund for your stay because there were cases of coronavirus in the area? How are the coronavirus cases your host's responsibility, that you would want to take advantage of him/her, stay at their place, use up the utilities and other amenities, and then not get paid for it?  If there had been some mass murder in the area, would you expect to get a refund after you stayed, even though the murders didn't affect you?

I can't believe your entitled attitude.

Thank you! I got the refund and I paid for the nights I stayed.

Elizabeth1100
Level 3
Apollo Bay, AU

Airbnb have allowed several of my guests from China to cancel their reservations with a full refund, even a reservation arriving to my property in two days time. This overrides my cancellation policy and leaves me out of pocket with a very slim chance of re booking. I wonder if the guests are covered by their own travel insurance? Also if Airbnb are still getting their service fee? Seems like the only the only one being penalised are the hosts with no consultation or opportunity to claim anything back. I contacted Airbnb but no response forthcoming as yet.....

My thoughts exactly. I just lost $3200AUD for a 19 day booking. I would have refunded the 50% if I had someone else book, but now I'm completely out of pocket with something that should be covered by the guests travel insurance.