Could this be a a scam?

Jacqueline1083
Level 2
Texas, United States

Could this be a a scam?

Hey guys, 

I've used AirBnB before and I've never had a problem. I recently opted to rent a place in a nearby big city. This was one of the few listings able to host a large group of people (10) of us. However after I booked it, I saw some pretty big red flags. The host is verified by AirBnB, so I looked up the company and it is a registered LLC that was started up in August of 2021. Okay, so now for the red flags: the address of the booking right in the middle of Dallas, and is the address of high-rise luxury apartments. The listing is in a suburb of Dallas (Oaklawn) and is a townhome. When I click on "Get Directions" the coordinates take me to a 7-11 in Oaklawn. I looked at the listing pictures and reverse image searched them. 

1. The picture of the bathroom is from a home that is being sold in Tennessee 2. The picture of the kitchen is from an article about modeling your home in a modern style 3. The 2 pictures showing the outside of the building are pictures of apartments in Oaklawn. The bedroom and living room pictures don't show up as anything in reverse image search.  I called the host and asked about the address discrepancies and she said she provides the address 48 hours before check-in. I spoke with AirBnB and they said the pictures could have been stolen from the host and not the other way around and that all hosts provide the address 48 hours before check in. Is this normal of some hosts? I've had the actual address show up every time I've booked an AirBnB listing. I don't want my group to be stranded in Dallas if this is a scam. So, hosts, is this normal? 

This is a first listing from the host and there are no previous reviews. Given the time frame (2 weeks) from now, this was the cheapest option with the most freedom. $426 a night, so not dirt cheap. Help, please. I only have 1 more day left to cancel. 

3 Replies 3
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I suspect, @Jacqueline1083, you probably - as I do - smell a pretty rank rat here. But assuming we give the host some credit (not sure I would tho), do they have reviews for other listings and, if yes, how many?

As for the address being given out 48 hours in advance, that isn't at all normal, in fact you ordinarily get it the moment you book. 

I'd be giving this a listing a *very* wide berth. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What has communication been like with the host. What happened when you asked them why they wouldn't disclose their address?  @Jacqueline1083 

Some hosts don't disclose their address to close to check in time, but it's certainly not the normal.

It could be fine or it could be a scam if you are concerned ask Airbnb to cancel penalty free as the host won't disclose the address and you think the photos are of other places.

Better for you to pay a bit more and stay with an established host with good reviews.  @Jacqueline1083 

Having said that you have no reviews yourself so the host is taking a chance on you too 🙂

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

removed as requested

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen