Could use some advice... potential problem with guests...

Beth131
Level 2
Littleton, CO

Could use some advice... potential problem with guests...

Hi all, I could use some advice. I had guests show up late last night, a group of 4 young people for my private rooms/basement space. The person who booked was communicative and friendly prior to coming. So there have been a few things so far (not even 24 hrs yet and they are staying 4 more nights). There are several issues that have already arisen (details below) and maybe I'm being paranoid and jumping the gun, but maybe it'll get worse, and I want to **bleep** this in the bud to prevent it from getting worse.  I could really use some advice (feel free to tell me to stop worrying if I'm blowing this out of proportion). Sorry this is so long.

1, on my listing it clearly states if there is anyone under 21 staying to message me to discuss prior to booking (I do not want to be responsible for underage drinking in my house so my intention is to make that clear before they book their reservation). I asked for IDs when they got here and one is under 21 which they didn't inform me about... they've already gone to the liquor store. This is the biggest issue. I do NOT want any legal responsibility for this!  Is it something I should be concerned about? I know she's not driving at least.

2, I asked them last night to keep my pup out of their basement space (there is a gate blocking it) and to beware because he'll try to get food and can't eat people food. Then this morning I also wrote a note and put it by the food to not let him downstairs while eating and not to feed him because he'll get sick. Well needless to say I come inside and he's downstairs and the girl was surprised when I said not to feed him (mentioned TWICE already!).

3, the guest asked me ahead of time if a 5th friend can visit (not stay) that lives in the area and will be driving them around. I said no problem for the 5th to hang out here and there but no more. I just heard my guest on the phone with someone saying to come over and hang here... and the 5 of them are already at the house.

4, I clearly state in the rules and reiterate when they come in NO SMOKING INSIDE including weed (legal in CO). Well... I go downstairs to do laundry and there is a can of air freshener that they brought with them. I don't see why anyone would need their own air freshener unless they were planning on breaking the smoking rule (which I'm very serious about... the couches and rug burn easily and I don't want my house smelling like weed). 

Am I blowing things out of proportion before giving them a chance? I'm new to this but with the first 6 bookings I never once had a bad feeling about my guests until now.

7 Replies 7

@Beth131 - you're jumping the gun a little.  

1. You are not responsible for the actions of your guest.  You are indemnified from their illegal activity unless you go out and buy the alcohol - which you didn't.  

2. You may have to tell them again about the dog. It's awful to have to monitor this behavior, but dogs are compelling to some folks and think it's no big deal.  I understand that it's a big deal to you and your family because you will be left with the aftermath of any "treats" the dog gets.  Once you tell them, "The dog has a really sensitive stomach and will poop in the house.  It really sucks cleaning that up and if he does it downstairs, well, that will suck for you guys as well.  Please don't feed him or let him down there just in case."   Tell it like it is - they don't want to clean up or smell that kind of mistake! 

3. Assuming the friend needs to come in the front door, go down and ask to speak to the booking host in private.  Remind him that you said only 1 more person could come by and that you are not covered by liability insurance for any one else to be here.  It is for their protection as well as yours and they'll need to head out to hang elsewhere (this is not a lie, you are not covered even for that extra person by Airbnb but you might be under your own homeowners).  If they give you grief, tell them that you have to be firm here and that you are sorry but they can't hang out with non-Airbnb guests at your house for liability reasons.  Recommend some joints where they can hang out together with their underage friend (Starbucks maybe?  Or a local watering hole that doesn't check IDs?)

4.  Don't speculate what the air freshener is for.... some people are really weird about bathroom smells they leave behind. I once had a guest who brought her own air freshener and sprayed it everywhere - it was weird - but, well, we deal with other people's weirdnesses all the time.  It's your house,  if you have a no smoking policy, you have a no smoking policy and feel free to monitor if you think they are smoking inside.  However, after reading your listing, you have "smoking permitted" as an amenity - you need to remove this because that is directly related to smoking inside - not on the property.  And If you don't want vaping, pipes, or cigars outside, you need to say so explicitly because marijuana is legal in your state.  Or just say no pot on the premises.  

The key here is to communicate, communicate, communicate in a professional way.   If they do start violating house rules or policy, call Airbnb.  They might really be okay young people and are new to traveling too.  Try not to "parent" them - something I'm ashamed I do from time to time.  

Good luck.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0

Thank you so so much!!!! I appreciate you candidly telling me I'm probably jumping the gun. It makes me feel a LOT better knowing that I'm not legally responsible for underage drinking. I hate to be a stickler about that, I certainly did it at the age of 20, but the legal ramifications were the concern. Also I didn't even think about pointing out that I'm not covered for extra people but that is PERFECT advice since it's not me just coming off as an uptight annoying host. And FANTASTIC idea with the dog poop thing!

As far as saying smoking allowed, since I allow it outside? In the rules it states clearly outside only. The listing used to say no smoking but then I realized a lot of other listings either say "Smoking Allowed" and then state outside as well, or they say no smoking because they don't want marijuana on their property. I don't mind people smoking marijuana outside at all, or cigarettes, so I didn't want to be misleading but I also don't want to miss out on guests that are fine with smoking outside (for example some of my guests worked at a dispensary and I highly doubt included places that didn't allow smoking in their searches, but they were 100% fine with keeping it outside). What do you think? Thanks again for all the helpful advice and talking me down about my current guests 😄

I'd say set the no smoking flag, then in your house rules you can state that smoking outdoors x feet from door, or in a special area, or whatever, is allowed.   Better to have the flag set to no, then state an allowed area, than set to yes and try to state a disallowed area (we've already seen how much they read the specific notices, like about the dog lol).

Ah good point. Thanks for the advice 🙂 Gets trickier out here since marijuana is legal 😕

John915
Level 3
New York, United States

Call Airbnb if it is out of control but agree with the others that key is to COMMUNICATE.

I've hosted 1st-time guests and people always have different expectations, especially newer members. Communicate through Airbnb and call Airbnb if it's an issue you cannot resolve with your guests. Giving your guests the benefit of doubt, they may be new, young and think your home is a hostel/hotel.....if it's not, try to talk to them directly about your concerns (most people are very understanding and sometimes it's just a misunderstanding).

I would absolutely speak with your guest(s) before escalating. It could just be a simple misunderstanding and people being stupid/careless but not malicious.

Keep in mind that it is your home. And regardless of whether something is legal, you should be clear to your guests what is and is not allowed in your home. I put in my house rules that there is no smoking inside the apartment and if someone has to smoke, they can go outside - and I tell them that whenever someone checks-in.

Be clear, firm and communicate. It seems like a misunderstanding but I think 99% of guests are decent people and may just not be clear on whatever parameters you've set.

John915
Level 3
New York, United States

As to underage drinking....be careful about that. I doubt Airbnb gives a sh*t but at least in New York State, if I am aware of and facilitate underage drinking in my place and someone drives impaired causing an accident, I may be liable.

Other states may be different. But I'd suggest not letting people drive from your place wasted! You shouldn't be a parent but if someone gets into an accident and especially if under-age, someone will ask "where were you drinking"

@Alice-and-Jeff0 I and @Beth131 @@@  I'm late tothis conversation. Might I say that the state law should be checked regarding liability for underage drinking. In Washington state anyone allowing it on their property is subject to a $5000 fine and/or up to a year in jail. I know this because I looked it up in response to a neighbor allowing an underage drinking party.