County Tax and Occupancy Tax

Ronda3
Level 1
Southern Pines, NC

County Tax and Occupancy Tax

I understand that airbnb is collecting the occupancy tax but I'm confused as to how/when that gets paid. Will I get documentation that I can use when doing my taxes next spring? It would be so great if those 2 taxes are taken care of via airbnb!

I got this message from Business Link NC:

Tax for Bed & Breakfast/Lodging Establishments - I’ve spoken to both the NC Dept. of Revenue and the Moore County Tax Dept. and you will need to charge the standard Moore County Tax rate of 6.75% PLUS Moore County Occupancy Tax of 3%.

Licensing for Bed & Breakfast/Lodging Establishments – Moore County Health Department handles licensing – 910-947-5010.

Does anyone know what the Health Department requires? I'll post after I call if that's helpful to others.

3 Replies 3
François28
Level 1
Basel, Switzerland

Hi, I have an issue as after having booked and paid,  the owner is asking me to pay a substantial amount by check or cash to cover the taxes. This is nowhere written on the description. 

Lisa435
Level 2
Nokomis, FL

first let me appologize for my sounding so frustrated. i have been waiting for airbnb tax dept. to get back to me ..zz.zzz.. my question is where is this tax $$ for my county?? the D.O.R. explained that airbnb pays the state tax under an umbrella when i asked them what about county he said that is up to airbnb and my county..as home owners we know this is our problem at the end of the day because my name is on the deed not airbnb.  with the thousands of us using airbnb i cant believe its this hard to get a direct answer.  also i have yet to get any statements ..please give me some answers i dont want this to creep up on me and i have to PAY this even though it is being collected....thank you

I looked at your listing and it appears Airbnb is automatically collecting the following taxes on you behalf:

General Sales and Use Tax (Florida)

General Sales and Use Tax (Sarasota)

I'm not an expert on Florida (or an expert at all for that matter), but it appears they are already collecting Sarasota County taxes on your behalf and should be remitting them for you.  You'll probably want to get in touch with the County directly to ensure the amount paid and your remaining obligation (if any).