Couples: terrible guests? Awful experince. HELP!

Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

Couples: terrible guests? Awful experince. HELP!

Hello

I would like to share with you a problem that I have. I host people at home for 4 months now, so I am kind of new in the platform and I still have to learn many things.

I started with a room for solos, and the experience was very good 😊 people that came was respectful, clean, nice... I knew new and different people, and everything was charming.

I decided to open a bigger, double room, and I received a boom of visits and bookings. I followed Airbnb's price indications, and when I look for rooms in my area, I realized I had the price in half the average.

Why am I writing? It turns out that in this double room I have very bad experiences in general. And I also receive bad assessments. Of course, I act equally for solos and for couples, in attention, communication, cleaning (it’s the same place)…

They are very demanding, little receptive, often abusing the resources and jump the rules...

Does that happen to you? Any advice? I'm thinking stop allowing pairs come in... Cause the experience is being bad.

Extra info:

1.                   I take people without previous evaluations

2.                   I have animals at home

3.                   The price is the cheapest in the city

4.                   The rules of the house are strict

5.                   I live in the place and I don't leave the Keys

Thanks 😊

A.

10 Replies 10
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Ale113 you say your place is "the cheapest in the city" and there you have your problem. Make your price competitive with the prices of the other properties, most of the time cheap prices attract cheap customers unfortunately. I also host couples and they are the same as any other group of people. Also you should accept people with at least one good review and verified ID, it will save you a lot of trouble. If they are new you can ask a bit about them and why they chose your place in order to decide whether to accept them or not. Another thing are the keys, are you in the apartment at literally all times? What happens if the guest wants to enter and you are not there to open since you don't give them the keys. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

£38 per night, in Eixample? 
Cheap prices = cheap guests. 
Put your rates up and never, never pay any attention to Airbnb's price 'tips'.

Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

Hello @Ana1136@Gordon0 

I am almost usually always at home. Maybe one day I have to go shopping and I leave for 30' but just sometimes (and I write the guest exactly the time out, or even I ask them if is fine for them!!).

Now the price is 30€/person (=60€) but before it was 22€/person (=44€) and I even have many bad ratings about price!!! In general I have bad ratings (3stars) on many things and I am very worried. That dones't happen (that often) with solo travelers.

I have bad rating from people that has other reviews from previous hosts, also.  😞

Maybe you have some timps of what couples espect from a Airbnbplace?

Thanks 🙂

A.

Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

PS: I change the price two days ago (so the reviews and my guests paid 44€/night/couple).

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

For me, @Ale113 , I have also hosted couples, singles and small groups (4 or less).  I also provide breakfast, have a dog and am around most of the time.  I find it is easier to "read" or understand a single traveler than when there are more people.  As such, I am able to slightly adjust how I interact with the individuals.  When there are couples or small groups, there are different personalities and what one person likes another might not.  My point is that yes it is more complicated and you might have to deal with more complaints, but when your place is a good fit, they really appreciate it.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Ale113 I just read your reviews and they are not that bad at all. I guess the guests privately tell you what they think you could improve but you shoud never answer to the private complaints in a public review the way you do. The public responce to the review is for other possible guests to see and it does nothing for you to mention all the problems previous guests have had and adressed privately. 

Hello @Ana275 

Thanks again for your advice.

Just one note: I'll not host again ANY of the guests that I had in the double room.

Then, something is really wrong...

A.

av1.jpgav2.jpgav3.jpgav4.jpg

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Ale113, with longer period of hosting you’ll realize that people are not reading at all. No matter how clear you make your description. I also had several stupid complains based on guests ignorance and incapabulity to read. So now I’m asking them in the first message if they agree with amenities, rules and location. It helps a bit. And yes, it is more probable that one in the couple have read everything, but the other one has no idea about place and rules. May be to ask them to confirm that they both are informed? 

I think that it is not bad that you use public answer to put more stress on important things. Put reasonable price, be firm with your rules, don’t make favors. There are many nice couples and you will enjoy hosting! 

Hello @Yulianna0 

I do this after a 3star rating, complaining about my dog. I always ask about it and even I ask them to send me a Code that is in the description. But maybe the one that did the reservation read the rules, but not their couple 😞

Once, it arrived a guy saying he was totally allergic to dogs... I couldn't believe... his partner did the reservation.

A.