Covid 19 Cleanliness Standards

Answered!
Debbie829
Level 2
Oakland, CA

Covid 19 Cleanliness Standards

What recourse do I have about disputing a review claiming that I have not met a guest’s covid hygiene standards?

I’m a super host with a 5 star rating, cleanliness being my highest rating. I clean the unit myself and have upped my cleaning considerably since the Covid pandemic.

Last week, a new guest booked her trip during the pandemic (in late April for a 2 night stay in May). Upon arriving, she called me to complain that she “feared for her life” due to the “unacceptable filth” and that there was “dirt everywhere” and “fingerprints on the mini fridge”  that she was sure had covid contamination. She yelled at me nonstop for  about 5 min before I could respond.

I was not at home, but she was so agitated and inconsolable,  I wanted her to just leave. While I didn’t have to, I offered her a full refund which she took and then she vacated the property and drove home (3 hours away). She said was so distraught by the experience that she forgot her suitcases in my unit. She called in a panic again about her suitcases. I have offered to send them to her or hold them until she’s back in the area. She was very grateful and said she’d come back this week. 

This guest has since written a review (I have not read it as I will not write a review about her...after all she canceled and got a full refund), but I am certain it will be terrible. 

Has anyone here dealt with this issue? 

I’m renting a vacation unit in my home, not a hospital, but this unit was clean. 

1 Best Answer
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I live in Berkeley, right next to Oakland and forgive me but, WHY?

There are spikes in the Sacramento area, there are spikes in So. Cal and likely even bigger ones in the coming weeks, the curve in San Francisco isn't even flattening yet and our county, Alameda has done a pretty darn good job with "only" 66 deaths in a population inching toward 2 million, that is entirely due to the shelter in place restrictions. 

I know times are tough, 3 of our kids have lost their jobs in the hospitality industry & that's not going to rebound in the foreseeable future. It sucks.

But consider this: What kind of guest is going to disregard the restrictions to book a trip right now? Someone who doesn't care about others, doesn't think the rules apply to them and is going to do as they please. Any host in an area with shelter in place/distancing restrictions who opens up their listing to those who disregard the law, science and common sense shouldn't be surprised when  those guests are nothing but trouble. It may be that those host & guests deserve each other but the collateral damage will be done to those who were trying to be good members of society  The travel & hospitality industry will rebound, someday, but not any time soon, ABB just laid off 25% of their staff and that is just the 1st round. Make a plan B and don't be foolish

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19

I have had reviews with flat-out lies and provided air bnb with physical proof that the guest was lying along with looking at their own records and the messages exchanged on the platform and they still refuse to take down or remove any falsities in the reviews. 

Dianne243
Level 3
New York, NY

Hi yes that has happened to me as a guest as well a host. First thing i would have done go to my property and take pictures those are your records then send them to the guests as we’ll as to Airbnb that your hone was not filthy .

I recommend you to reach out to Airbnb and speak a case manager explain the situation and have them call the guest. and try to resolve it that way that’s the best way to resolve this. 
for you and your guests. ok 
Thank you 

Dianne 

Stay in and stay safe! 😊

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Debbie829, I am originally from the Dimond District, and everyone that I know back home is sheltering in place.  Thank you very much for sharing your experience.  I agree with Sally221 in that we must really examine the motives of a person who books a 3 day stay during the height of a pandemic.  I am currently closed until at least the middle of next month, but your story has highlighted some things that I will point out when I re-open my listings.  First, I am going to sign up to participate in Airbnb's enhanced cleaning program, and explicitly state in my listing which cleaning methods and products that are utilized.  Since the new policy will also require a 24 hour vacancy period post-checkout, the guests (at least the reasonable ones) should have some assurance that any virus aerosols would have lost their potency.

At this time, I have no plans to significantly lower my rate.  I don't want the bargain hunter guest.  They usually are the most demanding and leave your place/stuff in poor condition.  If a guest cannot appreciate the aromatic smell of the various disinfectant cleansers that will be used, and exhibits any unreasonable behavior or anxiety about catching the coronavirus while staying in my place, I will probably ask them to leave.  But I think that is not likely to happen, because I live in Georgia, and many of the people that I saw while at the grocery don't seem to give a rats-a** about wearing masks or social distancing.

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

Never be held hostage at the cost of a review. You are in control of this ultimately. I used to feel this way when I started out with AirBnB, but now I don't care. I refuse to give a refund that breaks my own policy based on a guest's "change of mind". I paid for my home that is accurately described, clean and in a quiet and beautiful surrounding and if a guest finds a better deal-aka has a change of mind at the 11th hour, then that is their problem. They know what they are signing up for and it is not up to us to teach adults how to behave as such.

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

I have to put this out there...I have guests weary to shake my hand upon introduction. Obviously, I handled all their towels and linen yet they have no concern about this. The next guest that doesn't shake my hand will be told that I personally made the bed they are sleeping on, just an hour before their arrival and if the concern is that they are worried about spreading covid to me, then I don't want them here! I only want healthy people, not sick ones.