Covid 19 Cleanliness Standards

Answered!
Debbie829
Level 2
Oakland, CA

Covid 19 Cleanliness Standards

What recourse do I have about disputing a review claiming that I have not met a guest’s covid hygiene standards?

I’m a super host with a 5 star rating, cleanliness being my highest rating. I clean the unit myself and have upped my cleaning considerably since the Covid pandemic.

Last week, a new guest booked her trip during the pandemic (in late April for a 2 night stay in May). Upon arriving, she called me to complain that she “feared for her life” due to the “unacceptable filth” and that there was “dirt everywhere” and “fingerprints on the mini fridge”  that she was sure had covid contamination. She yelled at me nonstop for  about 5 min before I could respond.

I was not at home, but she was so agitated and inconsolable,  I wanted her to just leave. While I didn’t have to, I offered her a full refund which she took and then she vacated the property and drove home (3 hours away). She said was so distraught by the experience that she forgot her suitcases in my unit. She called in a panic again about her suitcases. I have offered to send them to her or hold them until she’s back in the area. She was very grateful and said she’d come back this week. 

This guest has since written a review (I have not read it as I will not write a review about her...after all she canceled and got a full refund), but I am certain it will be terrible. 

Has anyone here dealt with this issue? 

I’m renting a vacation unit in my home, not a hospital, but this unit was clean. 

1 Best Answer
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I live in Berkeley, right next to Oakland and forgive me but, WHY?

There are spikes in the Sacramento area, there are spikes in So. Cal and likely even bigger ones in the coming weeks, the curve in San Francisco isn't even flattening yet and our county, Alameda has done a pretty darn good job with "only" 66 deaths in a population inching toward 2 million, that is entirely due to the shelter in place restrictions. 

I know times are tough, 3 of our kids have lost their jobs in the hospitality industry & that's not going to rebound in the foreseeable future. It sucks.

But consider this: What kind of guest is going to disregard the restrictions to book a trip right now? Someone who doesn't care about others, doesn't think the rules apply to them and is going to do as they please. Any host in an area with shelter in place/distancing restrictions who opens up their listing to those who disregard the law, science and common sense shouldn't be surprised when  those guests are nothing but trouble. It may be that those host & guests deserve each other but the collateral damage will be done to those who were trying to be good members of society  The travel & hospitality industry will rebound, someday, but not any time soon, ABB just laid off 25% of their staff and that is just the 1st round. Make a plan B and don't be foolish

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19

@Debbie829  You're an experienced host, so of course you already know how reviews work. Even if you choose not to write a review of this guest, her review is still going to be posted on your listing after 14 days from checkout have elapsed. According to policy you're both entitled to review each other, and in your own defense you might as well write an honest account of what happened.

Until the moment that guest's review is published, it's impossible to say what your recourse is, because it really depends upon whether the review falls in line with the Content Policy. There's a pretty broad latitude there for guests to accuse you of poor sanitation - Airbnb can't independently verify your cleaning standards - so it's likely that your only recourse will be to post a public response to the review with your side of the story.

For now, you will know what your guest has said about you as soon as you publish your review. Perhaps it will inform your decision about how much time and effort you want to invest in returning her luggage, or whether it might ultimately be more satisfying to donate her belongings to a worthier denizen of Oakland.

Lol exactly! You phrased the suitcase line a lot nicer than I would have. 😂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Debbie829  This guest sounds deranged. First of all, why is she booking a trip in the midst of a pandemic if she's so concerned about being exposed to COVID? She drives 3 hours, has a meltdown, then drives 3 hours home. What was the purpose of her trip, anyway?

Andrew's advice is spot on.

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

You should definatly write a review. I would write something like: Very rude and problematic guest, offered a full refund for her to vacate my property, did not feel comfortable with her staying there.

@Luana130  exactly! I think what you wrote here is perfect, and factual.

You absolutely MUST write her a review.  The sooner, the better.  It opens up her review for you to see, and you can respond to it truthfully, and then move on.  And if it's a scathing review, then call ABB to get it removed since she didn't stay there (technically was not a guest) and got all of her money back (again, not a guest).

They might not remove it since she technically entered the property though which sucks but check the cleaning protocol and see what it says about whether or not something like that would be a violation. Maybe she just didn't like the place and placed those fingerprints on there herself and took a photo just to get a refund. The case I'm dealing with now, the guest sent a photo of a ceiling  fan that wasn't mine with dust on it and put makeup fingerprints in the freezer to make it look dirty, took photos and sent them in because I asked them to leave since they refused to pay the extra guest fee.. these guests are out of pocket and will do anything and it sucks that even though airbnb profits %30 off of us, they'll side with the guest in a heartbeat even after reading the transcript between you and the guest, making it apparent that it was out of spite! 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Debbie829  Why wouldn't you write a review of the guest?  If you expect she will give you a bad review, then write a review of this guest that indicates she seemed to have had some slightly illogical fears over the virus/potential contamination, that the guest was agitated and rude, and you both agreed to terminate the reservation.  If she rants about the cleanliness issue you can respond on her review for future guests to see.  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Debbie829 

When you do not write a review, only one side of the story is given. So I will assume that the guest's review is truthful and that your space is dirty. I will have no way of knowing that the guest is irrational, over the top, and demanding.

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Debbie829 @Emilia42 @Mark116 

I have had this happen 3 weeks ago. My unit was clean. She wiped the window ledge with lysol wipes  ofcourse it did not come at as clean as the wipe does when it comes out of the box. She looked for specs of dust anywhere she could find.

Her mother asked  "how come the linens are wrinkled"? She suspected they weren't washed. I told her we wash linens everytime however we don't iron them. She said "well you're in the hospitality industry", they should be ironed.

Yes, she wanted ironed sheets all while spending $80 for a 2 two bedroom ($40 per person) and it's a very nice luxury 2 bedroom.

I told her at that point to just leave. I am done being Fake Nice with OCD guests. It was the best decision I made that week. Don't put up with crazy people and fear reviews. Once they are in control, you just feel like you have to walk on eggshells through life.

BTW, I am finding guests to be more horrible than usual now. They are more critical in their ratings and reviews than ever. They are stuck inside our homes all day and I guess have nothing else to do then think about what is missing rather then what we provide. Or maybe the lower prices are attracting weird eccentric people. Or the combination of these tow.

They should use the same money they spent on our home to rent a run down cockroach infested motel where prostitutes often roam and see how they like it there.

I would have done the same. I refuse to be disrespected like some peasant when I have purchased the property they are staying at and am their host. If they get slightly fussy, they will not be staying with me.

Raise your prices. For whatever reasons, the bargain guests are the most demanding. Look at it as compensating for your space. Unless you feel you have nothing to offer, then do not sell yourself short.  Guests may think we are here to provide them cheap prices, but really if they don't like your updated prices, they can go irritate someone else.

Facts!! Its the %30 that Airbnb takes out & not having our backs for me.. Its them being a billion dollar business and not refunding the guests out of their pocket after we spend so much money and effort already, for me...  

@Sean433 @Debbie829 @Russell49 Facts!! Its the %30 that Airbnb takes out & not having our backs for me.. Its them being a billion dollar business and not refunding the guests out of their pocket after we spend so much money and effort already, for me...  

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I live in Berkeley, right next to Oakland and forgive me but, WHY?

There are spikes in the Sacramento area, there are spikes in So. Cal and likely even bigger ones in the coming weeks, the curve in San Francisco isn't even flattening yet and our county, Alameda has done a pretty darn good job with "only" 66 deaths in a population inching toward 2 million, that is entirely due to the shelter in place restrictions. 

I know times are tough, 3 of our kids have lost their jobs in the hospitality industry & that's not going to rebound in the foreseeable future. It sucks.

But consider this: What kind of guest is going to disregard the restrictions to book a trip right now? Someone who doesn't care about others, doesn't think the rules apply to them and is going to do as they please. Any host in an area with shelter in place/distancing restrictions who opens up their listing to those who disregard the law, science and common sense shouldn't be surprised when  those guests are nothing but trouble. It may be that those host & guests deserve each other but the collateral damage will be done to those who were trying to be good members of society  The travel & hospitality industry will rebound, someday, but not any time soon, ABB just laid off 25% of their staff and that is just the 1st round. Make a plan B and don't be foolish

Good point.

I myself am limiting the stays for weekends only, 2 night min to avoid constant turnover and limit the amount of people who will be here. Guests allowed are only from my state of NSW since other states in Australia have lockdown rules due to new spikes (linked to the protests). Likewise, I am "closing shop" for another month to see how this all plays out after these last guests tonight.