Covid 19 Screening Guest Question Guidance is Lacking from airbnb.

Answered!
Marina1328
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Covid 19 Screening Guest Question Guidance is Lacking from airbnb.

So far airbnb has very scant guidance on questions a host should ask a guest prior to  allowing a booking to proceed during the outbreak.   The guidance the do have  is dated from April 16 2020 and it located in  "Our Continued Commitment to Inclusion" https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/our-continued-commitment-to-inclusion-154

"For hosts, we suggest sending all guests this message before confirming a booking:

“In the interest of the health and safety of all my guests, I’m asking everyone to answer the following questions before they book:

• In the last two weeks, have you or anyone you live with traveled to any areas that have been impacted by COVID-19?
  • Have you been diagnosed with, or suspect that you have contracted, COVID-19?
  • Do you currently have any travel restrictions in your area due to COVID-19?”
  • Hosts using Instant Book could consider including this set of questions in the pre-booking message, and all hosts can include these questions in their House Rules"

This is WAY outdated and needs to be brought up to speed to reflect the current situation with travel restrictions easing up in various parts of the world and within the USA.  As an example,  the first question is not even applicable today:  every area/country/state has been impacted by Covid 19.  

There are many helpful COVID 19 resources that airbnb is providing guidance on e.g. as cleaning guidelines, but there is NO updated guidance on what up front guest information needs to be ascertained prior to a host accepting a booking.

I have come up with some questions but they may be too exhaustive or intrusive or not specific enough!  I would appreciate some feedback or if anyone has any specific questions they are putting to guests now.

In the interest of the health and safety of all my guests, owners and staff,  and with the dynamic situation, I’m asking everyone to answer these questions before they book:

Is COVID-19 spreading where you, or your travel companion (s) live? How impacted is the country,  area or state you are travelling from? The status of the outbreak varies by location and state.

In the last 2 weeks, have you, or your travel companion (s), been diagnosed with, or suspect that you have contracted, or been tested for COVID-19?

Do you, or your travel companion (s), currently have any travel restrictions in your country, area or state due to COVID-19?

What is the reason for your visit? During your visit will you, or your travel companion(s) be in close contact with others during your trip?   

1 Best Answer

@Marina1328   I also disagreed with Airbnb's guidance at the time. But we have to read between the lines a bit. I think the reason the emphasized "all guests"  and issued this guidance specifically in relation to Inclusion was because there were a lot of complaints that hosts were only "screening" or declining guests from specific countries.  The subtext was that they won't consider it discrimination if you ask the same questions to guests of all nationalities, rather than just ones from, say, China. 

I can understand the unease, but there's a big difference between putting one's mind at ease and actually being sensible and safe. I just don't see how relying upon a stranger's self-reporting is helpful as a risk-management strategy when it comes to a virus we aren't anywhere near fully understanding. Hosts who aren't confident that they can safely accommodate (and clean up after) a guest who happens to be a contagious carrier of the Coronavirus should not be accepting any guests at all.

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Marina1328  Asking guests to tell you if they are a health risk, no matter how you state it, is about as useful as asking guests if their dog is well-behaved. If they are determined on coming, they will say whatever they think you want to hear.

And as anyone can be infected, contagious, and asymptomatic, even honest answers to those kinds of questions are pretty pointless.

Dee219
Level 2
Blackheath, Australia

I agree general guidelines for hosting are useful and there are significant differences between hosting in ones own home (ie sharing a space) or supplying accommodation that does not involve interaction with hosts or agents. I like Marina1328's suggestions about a brief screen. I recently declined a booking when a guest was coming from an area with current covid infection but accepted a booking from another guest after checking that guest's understanding of managing covid risk. I agree with posts who say guests may not disclose and there are the ongoing issues of community minded behaviour vs privacy. My elderly Mum in residential aged care was put into iso bc a family member breached returning quarantine and close contacts visited her. Mum tested negative but when I asked if the family members got tested it sounded like she thought it was a private matter. Anyway as I open up bookings again (Australia) I am screening because transmissability and virus behaviour is still an unknown. I also know the health issues of my covid bubble mates and susceptible family members. Interesting times trying to decide.