Covid-19 Vaccination Requirment?

Fr--Brian0
Level 2
Oberlin, OH

Covid-19 Vaccination Requirment?

Hello Community,   Can anyone tell me if we are permitted to require proof of COVID-19 Vaccinations from our guests?  We have been closed during the pandemic and are thinking about opening back up in the fall but feel uncomfortable hosting guests who have not been vaccinated.  Thank you.

21 Replies 21
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Proof would mean seeing a medical record, and that's a privacy issue.

The best thing, @Fr--Brian0 , is to get a vaccination yourself. Then you won't have to worry about what other people do. That's my own strategy. 

However even totally vaccinated can get Covid and spread it if not diagnosed. Anyone wanting to stay at Grandmas Home will show proof or not be booked .. simple.. charge me with what?

Trying to get important information that could make or break or cause death? Stupid.. don't travel and expect others to throw caution to the wind...

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Fr--Brian0 we are requiring that all guests are vaccinated (unless medically exempt) and our house rules say that we reserve the right to require proof, though we haven't actually done that yet. We also have fired a cleaner who declined vaccination.

@Lawrene0 in the US asking for proof of vaccination is not a medical privacy violation, according to federal law. Some backwards states (Florida) prohibit businesses from asking for this but in general it is allowed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/shopping/2021/06/03/can-business-ask-proof-vaccination-covid-19...

Annie1318
Level 1
Jackson, MS

Following. My husband and I are vaccinated, but our one year old obviously is not. Also my spouse is immunocompromised which still makes us cautious. We would like to host again, but only vaccinated guests. 

Elizabeth2229
Level 1
Hawaii, United States

I have the same concerns & would like an answer

Karen1176
Level 2
Indianapolis, IN

I added a vaccine requirement to my listing, but discovered my long term booking who is a traveling nurse who arrived tonight has not been vaccinated. I have inquired about what I can do now, after the fact, since guest failed to read house rules. After explaining the situation, I was told I was being transferred to another agent. That was five hours ago. 

Oh Karen, this is my nightmare.  We accepted one booking in August and I just outright stated that we were only able to host vaccinated guests as I help care for my 82 year old mother who is recovering from Triple by-pass surgery. While we can't do everything we can do what we can do and requiring our guests to be vaccinated against COVID-19 appears to be something we can do.  So you are in my prayers as you wait for some assistance...

@Karen1176 I would not wait for Airbnb to solve this problem for me. I would tell this guest that as stipulated in my house rules vaccination is required and she will have to leave. I would call Airbnb and tell them that the reservation is canceled  due to guest breaking house rules. You will of course have to refund her unused nights if you terminate her booking but to me that would be an acceptable price. In future I would  try to avoid this by getting positive confirmation of compliance at time of booking.

Suzanne463
Level 2
Eugene, OR

@Suzanne463 Hello, I have been closed since the start of the pandemic but have now started accepting reservations starting in September but with this raging variant I began wondering if this is a smart thing to do? I came on here to see what other hosts were doing.  From what I am reading it is okay to state that people have to be vaccinated to stay. I think as well as putting in the house rules I might also put it at the beginning of the listing.....so people don't miss it. I am not sure if I want to take that step yet, but I am wanting to do something—my granddaughter lives on the property and she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes after having covid. I have also thought of having them wear masks when they are outside on the property and to open most windows when leaving to let the place air out before cleaning. Actually as I write this I think I will "respectfully request" that they are vaccinated before staying here and then also follow the other things I mentioned above. I will not require seeing their vaccination certificate but will rely on their honesty.  I find it hard to believe that people who stay at Airbnbs would be that deceitful........and if they are, ......well, karma will follow-up 

@Suzanne463 

You have stated all my concerns, and very clearly. There is no crime in being careful. No amount of money can buy good health and this is not a trivial virus. I am a home share host who trusts my guests. They are all wonderful and I have never lost sleep with guests in my home. May they all be this way for all of us! In any case, our area - Northern California - relaxed in June when it seemed cases were down and we were emerging from our safe spaces. It took only a few weeks for Delta to swamp us and by mid July we were back in the Purple. Our hospitals are full, and our medical workers are exhausted. We are fully vaccinated, and proudly carry our cards. We state on our listing that we are glad to show them. This is not a lot of fun for anyone, and we totally miss having guests here on the mountain. However...we are erring on the side of caution. For everyone's health and safety, we just cannot in good conscience bring guests here. This is definitely for their health and safety's sake,  as well as being cautious around whatever they may unknowingly bring to this rural community and to us in our home. We are also painfully aware that there are no hospital beds here, for any of us or our visitors who may need one, following a car accident, for example. So, an abundance of prudent caution right now will pay off for us all in the future. We trust it will be not so distant. It will be a great joy to welcome guests again, when we are on the other side of this. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Suzanne463 "I find it hard to believe that people who stay at Airbnbs would be that deceitful........and if they are, ......well, karma will follow-up"

If guests lie about how many people are staying, lie about being "quiet", when their intention is to throw a party, and lie about their untrained puppy being a service dog, they will lie about being vaccinated. And unfortunately, the "karma" may involve you or others in your household getting sick.

A host on another forum suggested the anti-vaxer, anti-maskers start being referred to as what they really are: Pro- Covid.

My home share has been closed since March 2020, and when I open again, any guest who won't submit their proof of vaccine, or make it quite obvious in their messaging with me that they are adamant about Covid precautions is quite welcome to book elsewhere.

@Sarah977 

@Suzanne463 

Thanks for the reminder Sarah, I did forget to mention that we have been waiting since February 2020 to be able to welcome guests back. Yes, cautions and precautions are definitely appropriate. May we all live long and prosper!

Mary4369
Level 5
Fayetteville, AR

I just reopened our Airbnb and had 2 great guests staying for 5 days each. We listed in the 2nd line of our listing, in house rules & in confirmation that we are vaccinated & require all guests over 12 to be vaccinated also.  We also block the day before & the day after & air everything out so no one is in the unit (for cleaning or staying) until all safe. The two booking we had seemed to appreciate our caution (one an exhausted  medical worker; the other traveling with a 5 year old).  We also turned off instant booking. I just accepted a guest (& girlfriend) who later emailed me they were not vaccinated. I have two questions (1) will airbnb dock me $50 for cancelling out for a guest not following rules (like they did at the start of the pandemic - ridiculous!) and (2) how the hell do you contact Airbnb by phone anymore? I keep getting switched to links & then finally cut off. I could have a dead body in my unit before Airbnb responded. It seems like customer service to hosts (& maybe guests) has greatly declined & they could use a few more live operators! PS If a guests cancels (before penalty date) do they have to pay a fee? 

Frugalmary

@Mary4369 

The guests should be able to cancel the reservation on their end. Also, getting a service person's attention on Twitter seems to the the best way. Good luck!