Covid-19

Chleo0
Level 2
Adelaide, Australia

Covid-19

I have just watched and rea all the info regarding the updated requirements.  I am not a regular host and am rather new to the whole AirBnB  world.  I am located in South Australia where most restrictions have been lifted for some time and have NOT required masks when interacting with the community.  Am I now obligated by AirBnB to wear a mask in my home (have 2 private rooms for guests only) even though not required to by South Australian rules?  Only limited states of Australia is permitted to enter South Australia and our international borders are essentially closed.  Anyone arriving from overseas are placed in government controlled isolation-  am i really still expected wear a mask in my own home if all other social distancing and sterilisation requirements are met?  Do these policy updates factor in other countries and regions such as Zew Zealand and Australian states factored in or are we forced to adhere to the USA/Europe situation.  

If my host requirements surpass the expected standard but do not wear a mask, will I be penalised?  

@Catherine-Powell.

7 Replies 7
Charles224
Level 10
Clare, Australia

@Chleo0 understand that AirBnb is targeting hosts worldwide - and most of them will need to do this. The main thing to comply with is the specilised cleaning protocol. There is information on the AirBnb sites and a small exam (worth doing).

Fortunately due to the various Australian Governments doing such a good job in keeping Coved under wraps you don't need the masks in Sth Australia at the moment; Distancing and cleanliness stops the spread.

So, keep updated with Government requirements as things could easily develop into a 'Melbourne' and become 'mask time'. I hope not.

As for interstate and isolating - your place couldn't actually be used to do that, so just be sure of the origin place of your guests.

Keep safe, Charles

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Chleo0  thanks for mentioning New Zealand, there's much misinformation about Masks in general terms.

Airbnb should not be telling pple they must wear a mask anywhere.

There are many exemptions and various Government Officials have failed miserably with the Guidance they were told to use.

I've put the list of Exemptions for wearing them elsewhere. Look them up using related keywords in the searchbox here in ABB CC.

Meanwhile make the most of the Sunshine & Vitamin D, eat healthy and stay positively focused as they are the best cures for any form of Virus.

@Catherine-Powell 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Chleo0 @Charles224 

Isn't Simon Birmingham? MP for South Australia?

What stage are the Clive Palmer & Jim Penman ( Jim's Mowing) Judicial Reviews at?

I was reading that in the UK that various Councils are paid per head of population for various levels of lockdowns.

Factoring into account we are all been sung to off the same Song sheet Worldwide may we reasonably assume the same is happening in our locations & it's why Victoria is in the situation it finds itself in.  Very, very sad and it all goes back to "Science Academic papers"  written by unelected people.

Good  on those who are standing up for others basic Civil liberties, yourself included @Chleo0 

@Helen427 you are correct about Simon Birmingham, and I doubt CPalmer will get anywhere with his challenge in WA. I'm not around the Jim's Mowing issue but have heard him speak - quite a guy.

All Australian States have recognised that Quarantining the source will stop it getting into the community. Just like Australia did 250 years ago, and again 100 years ago, and like NZ is also doing today. We currently live very 'normal' lives here, and we are grateful, while being cautious at the same time.

However the Victorian situation began with mal-administration over the 'hotel quarantine' situation, enabling the virus to get  into the community, where careless BLM protestors and denial from certain communities caused the pandemic to run wild within the community and specifically the Aged Care homes. When my Civil Liberties cause the death or disablement of someone else in my community, I am in the wrong. 

Personal freedom is not something we should demand if our freedom will adversly affect someone elses.  The slack behaviour may destroy the Victorian State government as cronyism and backhanding to pander to interest groups comes to light.

Cheers, Charles

PaulAndSusan0
Level 3
Ledyard, CT

Was relying on an instant booked guest to acknowledge and respond to our e-mail concerning our state's COVID travel restrictions. After another attempt we finally find out the guest was not from the state listed on her AIRBNB profile. She stated she was from our state & was coming with husband for anniversary. Happened to notice in one of he prior reviews, that she had booked a place for a photo shoot. A simple computer check revealed that she was a photographer and advertised on her facebook photography page that she had rented this beautiful AIRBNB (including the dates) for taking reservations for "Boudoir" sessions at our AIRBNB complete withy copied photos from our listing. We immediately cancelled her reservation and she responded saying one friend had asked her t0o take some pictures & she was appalled at our "stalking". I guess she meant finding her ad on her photography website clearly advertising our place for her sessions. Not sure how best to report these activities, both the deception in her residence and deception in her intent to use our place. We clearly prohibit parties, functions, etc in our listing, and wonderful if it is legal for someone to use our AIRBNB listed photos.

Any Advice would be helpful, this one seems to take the cake in our years as super host. The guests real residence is even more important now with all the COVID travel restrictions & perhaps AIRBNB should require address updates from guests when they move. The deception, whether intentional or not is disturbing.

Current addresses should definitely be updated.  We have had a local person stay and their place of residence on Airbnb was Paris.  This was a few years out of date.

Great stalking, by the way.  You deserve a detective's badge.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Chleo0 and welcome to the CC - I don't believe we have spoken before. Please have a read here for more information on the matter - or, for the shorter version, please have a look on colleague's reply here on the matter 🙂 

Hope these help

Nick