Covid Cleaning Checklist - what about extra cleaning fee?

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Covid Cleaning Checklist - what about extra cleaning fee?

The Covid cleaning requirements surely represent a "new normal" for this business.

The 3 page checklist, added work, added cleaning supplies and products, need to plan empty non-paid nights between stays, are all good initiatives but should not be considered "free" services!

Why was this cleaning guideline initiative, not accompanied with an initiative to charge a Covid participation for guests?

Surely most people will prefer to stay in a private space, instead of a hotel, and will agree to help the host provide extra deep cleaning and airing out between guests?  50 euros or some other fee, to help offset some (not all) of the cost?

Cleaning service, products, and extra empty nights are not free; hosts should be given a new category of extra charges per stay to make this transparent to guests.

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Susan1188 You can set your cleaning fee to whatever you want to. Of course you may become uncompetitive on price....

Exactly my point, uncompetitive because many hosts do NOT charge the real cost for cleaning.

I think it would be more transparent for all parties to have a Covid supplement to get some compensation for all these extra things we are going to have to do, including spacing out reservations and leaving empty nights.

That way, if a  host leaves "Covid cleaning fee" blank or an unusually small amount,  guests can think what they want.

Exactly @Mike-Juan0  
If you can do 1 free non-paid night before, 1 free non-paid night after,

covid deep clean sheets and towels for 20 euros, I don't think that's credible anymore.
Time to put some industry standards for cleaning prices.  With living wages and safety measures  all taxes declared for cleaners.

No hotel is going to do one free night before and after each stay.  It is safer to stay in a private apartment that respects these rules, but it has a cost that guests should be prepared to contribute to.

@Susan1188 

You can adjust your rates and/or cleaning fee to reflect the additional cleaning work and supplies and extra empty nights that are put between bookings. Personally, I don't see the need to add another category for this. 

I would like guests to see that the new Covid requirements are not free, and level the playing field among all hosts:  anyone who puts 10 euros COVID cleaning is clearly not credible.

Also - What about the cost of now recommended policy of leaving a 72 hour "buffer" between guests.  Who is going to pay for that?  It should be partly compensated by some kind of "Covid" booking fee.