Covid Policy

Jacob599
Level 1
New York, NY

Covid Policy

The Airbnb website says

"Our extenuating circumstances policy is intended to protect guests and hosts from unforeseen circumstances that arise after booking. After the declaration of COVID-19 as a global pandemic by the World Health Organization, the extenuating circumstances policy no longer applies because COVID-19 and its consequences are no longer unforeseen or unexpected."

However, we received an email just a few hours before booking where a guest asked to cancel due to Covid. Despite our strict cancellation policy, AirBnB refunded them in full. This seems odd to me. Am I missing something? If any guest can just cancel at any time for this reason, I think we may be better just renting our property to someone for a more long term engagement....

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jacob599  Yes, you are missing something- the one Covid-related EC that Airbnb is fully refunding for is a positive Covid test. Supposedly guests have to provide documention to Airbnb, but of course hosts have no way of knowing if this is actually being done.

"Reservations for stays and Airbnb Experiences made after March 14, 2020 will not be covered under our extenuating circumstances policy, except where the guest or host is currently sick with COVID-19."

Jacob599
Level 1
New York, NY

Thank you for the insight Sarah! Definitely makes it more clear than the conflicting statements I've seen on different AirBnB hosted pages. 🙂

Alisa423
Level 1
Sturgeon Bay, WI

I think that hosts having to assume the entire financial responsibility for Covid cancellations is not right. Compared to two years ago, we now know how to stay safe... and if people choose to live a risky lifestyle, why is this entirely my burden? I think the extenuating circumstances related to COVID-19 policy needs to be re-thought and changed. If this does occur, financial compensation should be given, retroactively.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Jacob599 and everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that some changes have recently been made to the COVID-19 Extenuating Circumstances policy. For bookings made on or after 31st May 2022, COVID-19 will no longer be covered under this policy.

If you haven’t seen it yet, you can find the changes here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Update-to-our-approach-for-guests-sick-with-COVID...

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen