Covid Vaccine Status

Kim937
Level 4
Portland, OR

Covid Vaccine Status

I know this topic has floated around a bit, but I'm receiving conflicting info from Airbnb so am reaching out here.  I spoke with two reps on the phone today regarding whether I can have a policy of only accepting vaccinated guests. (I'm not interested in whether folks think this is a good idea or your personal opinion of the vaccine.) During the first call, I was told that I could not, but then he corrected himself and said that I could.  He then put me on hold so that I could speak with a supervisor, but the call was disconnected after being on hold for 30 minutes.  During the second call, the rep told me that I absolutely could not because of their discrimination policy.  On this forum, I'm seeing that hosts are asking about vaccination status.  I'm wondering if Airbnb has intervened in these instances in any negative way and if anyone has written info from Airbnb about barring hosts from asking about vaccination status and denying a booking based on vaccine status.  Thanks in advance for being civil.

5 Replies 5
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Kim937,

You may choose to host only vaccinated guests if you have a home share.  If your rental is self-contained, then you must follow the local laws.  For example, certain states such as Florida and Texas have passed laws that makes it illegal for a business to inquire about vaccination status or have vaccination a requirement to obtain service.

Thanks!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Kim937 this requirement has been in my house rules for over a year. (Before vaccines were available, it said "when vaccines become available...") I did not and would not ask Airbnb for permission, and the unvaccinated are certainly not on the list of protected groups Airbnb's terms of service prohibit discrimination against. I have not received any kind of warning, etc. about this-- and if Airbnb did prohibit it I would simply delist. It's non-negotiable for me.

Kim937
Level 4
Portland, OR

Thanks!

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany