Covid and refunds

Laura3181
Level 2
Arefu, Romania

Covid and refunds

Hello all...

I am writing here more for psihological support I believe. Just want other hosts to share their experience and ask for advice...

6 months ago a guest made reservation for the end of April-July, full 2 room apartment for the price of the cheapest hostel... My refund policy was and is strict - 50% refund in case of cancelled reservation.

Today guest cancelled his reservation because his flight was canceled (Covid issues).

Guest keeps pushing me that I MUST give him a full refund, I MUST understand his situation, I MUST be a good person... I feel like a criminal already, that I am stealing something from him...

Well, my apartment was "blocked" by him for 6 months, full refund does not look fair for me...

Could other host please share their experience in such situations?

Thank you...

5 Replies 5
Johanna394
Level 10
Tampere, Finland

[**Comment removed at member's request]

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Laura3181  you wrote the host cancelled... I assume you meant the guest?

He may have booked for 3 months but he actually paid just the first month and it is always non-refundable / see long term cancellation policy / https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#long-term

A cancelled flight is no extenuating circumstance so not eligible for a refund.

If we would always refund everyone then we don't need cancelation policies at all.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura3181  Tell this guest he agreed to the cancellation policy when he booked, that Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy specifically states it doesn't cover cancelled flights, that if you manage to rebook the dates his booking blocked for 6 months, you will refund him accordingly, and to stop harrasing you or you will report him to Airbnb. 

If he continues, do report him for harrassment and ask Airbnb to block him from contacting you further. You should also flag his account.

Don't let him get to you emotionally, it's just business.

Laura3181
Level 2
Arefu, Romania

Thank you all! Still not sure about being a good or a bad person... 🙂 but at least don't feel like a criminal anymore 🤗

@Laura3181  You are running a business- it has nothing to do with being a good or bad person, it has to do with a business contract. And if you do manage to fill some of the dates and are willing to refund for those, in spite of that not being a requirement, that makes you a super duper good person 🙂