Covid cancellation issue

Michelle144
Level 2
Antigua and Barbuda

Covid cancellation issue

I had a guest coming to Antigua from NY,  she booked on October 17th, 2020. She advised me in her initial correspondence, that they were a 3 friends in need of a break and that they had been adhering to all healthy safety protocols, she also advised that they would be on the island a week prior exploring the island. They were scheduled to check in on October 29th. On October 23, I received a notice saying she had received the news that her mother back home had tested positive for covid and therefore she needed to cancel her booking, but she wanted assurance that she would get a full refund before doing so. Within the half hour of her sending the message and me reading it, she had cancelled and received a full refund from AirBnb.  With a strict cancellation policy in place, how was this possible and why is airbnb still standing firm on this ?

The facts are:

The booking was made after March 20, 2020

The guests have to present a negative PCR covid test on arrival in order to enter the country

The guests were already on the island when they cancelled

The cancellation was 6 days prior to check in, with a strict cancellation policy booking. 

Allegedly :The guest told airbnb that they may have been exposed to the parent. If this is the case, shouldn't they have been advised to check in with local health authorities, instead of encouraging them to get on a plane back to the US. 

1 Reply 1
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Michelle144 yes this was absolutely wrong but not surprising. Airbnb does not adhere to its own policies when it comes to refunding guests willy-nilly. In your shoes I would keep opening tickets to try to reverse the decision, though it may be a long shot.